PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2400 Speedy

hanrahandh
03-04-2014, 06:48
An attempt at making Tomb Kings a fast army. Any comments appreciated.

Tomb Kings 2400

Lords (295 points):

Liche High Priest

Level 4
Lore of Nehekhara
Hierophant
Dispel Scroll
Obsidian Amulet
Skeletal Steed

Heroes (95 points):

Tomb Herald

Battle Standard Bearer
Skeletal Steed

Core (624 points):

Skeleton Chariots

3 models
Standard Bearer
Musician

Skeleton Chariots

3 models
Standard Bearer
Musician

Skeleton Horsemen

16 models
Light Armour
Standard Bearer
Musician
Master of Horse

Special (630 points):

Necropolis Knights

3 models
Entombed Beneath the Sands
Standard Bearer
Musician

Necropolis Knights

3 models
Standard Bearer
Musician

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Carrion

3 models

Carrion

3 models

Carrion

3 models

Rare (540 points):

Necrosphinx

Necrosphinx

Screaming Skull Catapult

Total: 2400 points

If you want the individual points for each unit, just ask and I'll post it :)
Trying to copy Dark Elves here... How do you think I went?

Folomo
03-04-2014, 13:32
Looks decent, but im not sure the point of having the BSB in this sort of list.
-1 to crumble for 100 points in a 12" radius is a bit too expensive IMO, specially since the units that care about crumbling are probably far far away from the herald. Unless you want to either have him go naked and alone or you want to have him in the horsemen bunker in the front lines, with your hierophant in it. Not a good combination IMO.
Also, I wouldnt give a banner to the sacrificial chariots. No reason to give your opponent 70 extra VP.
Do you need light armor on the horsemen? Im not sure if more models aren't better. Something to consider.
Also, I would recommend having at least 1 horse archer unit to stop enemy vanguarding units.
Have you considered a Casket of souls instead of a SSC?

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
03-04-2014, 21:22
1) BSB is really quite unnecessary in tomb kings. There are better ways to spend those points. Leadership checks are pretty irrelevant to us (crumble checks and free reforms, basically), so the reroll just isn't worth the price tag.

2) Your snake units are too small. You really need at least 3 sticking around to strike, and between cannons, small arms fire, and their crap initiative you'll find that you tend to lose at least a model before they can strike. Cutting the BSB would provide most of the points you need to do this.

3) A casket is WAY more important than the SSC. +d3 power dice is almost worth the 135 points by itself, and the bound spell is pretty terrifying to a lot of armies.

4) You really don't need the obsidian amulet on your hierophant. The spells that are really scary for you (final trans, purple sun, dwellers, etc.) don't allow saves of any kind. All the protection he generally needs is a bunker, though you should really have a champion in that bunker rather than the standard. Champion protects you against demon princes and flying mage hunting characters.

hanrahandh
04-04-2014, 10:24
The reason I take the bsb, as you mentioned, is the free reforms. With ld8, I don't want to miss a crucial reform.
Really considering taking skeleton archers instead of skeleton horsemen as a bunker though, can clear lots of msu elf units as well as providing more wounds/point.
Think I'll go with your advice on the casket though, I'll take a few banners off my units and try to squeeze it in.
Also, the Monster cav can be buried in this list, so I will do this if my enemy has cannons (or a bunker to ambuse >:3)
thanks for the advice, I will release an updated list soon

Folomo
04-04-2014, 13:02
But how many of those models really need the swift reform?
The NK have a good chance of being burried, the scorpions and necrosphinx reform at will and so do the carrions.
Only the 3 chariot units (which IMO dont arent as critical and dont need swift reform as much) and the bunker will benefit from it.

hanrahandh
05-04-2014, 01:39
yeah, thanks for pointing that out - if I don't take the horses, I don't really need that reform!
Ill post the new list w/o the bsb in a couple of minutes

hanrahandh
05-04-2014, 03:50
Ok, here is the updated list :)

Lords

Liche High Priest

Level 4
Lore of Nehekhara
Hierophant
Dispel Scroll
Dragonbane Gem

Core

Skeleton Chariots

3 models

Skeleton Chariots

3 models

Skeleton Archers

20 models
Master of Bows

Skeleton Horse Archers

5 models

Skeleton Horse Archers

5 models

Skeleton Horse Archers

5 models

Special

Necropolis Knights

3 models
Standard Bearer

Necropolis Knights

3 models

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Carrion

3 models

Carrion

3 models

Carrion

3 models

Rare

Necrosphinx

Necrosphinx

Casket of Souls

Total: 2396 points

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
09-04-2014, 19:07
I think you now have too much chaff. Three units of carrion, 3 scorpions, 3 unit of horse archers is a LOT of points, and you'll bleed those quite easily.

I'd maybe suggest axing the carrion for an extra snake on each unit. Or perhaps even a second casket, so that you have more spells to cast in the magic phase at range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk