PDA

View Full Version : Fluff becoming playable

Imperator64
03-04-2014, 10:52
The current woos elf thread got me thinking. Which recent additions to armies (skycutter, warlocks, irondrakes etc) were present in fluff(either army books or black library) before becoming available as playable options. Does it always/ever/never happen like that? Are there troop choices mentioned in multiple fluff sources that never become official releases?

Snake1311
03-04-2014, 12:01
I think its the opposite for most new choices, its GW throwing curveballs.

Leogun_91
03-04-2014, 12:24
Very few of the added options come from the fluff, more often they were added to the fluff when they were created. There are exceptions though and I will try to go through the 8th edition books to add the new additions that comes from fluff:
O&G: None of the additions really existed before, massive spiders were mentioned in the 8th edition BRB however so if you feel generous the Arachnarok could be accepted as this.
TK: Sphinxes existed in Warmaster and Arkhan the Black is the return of an old character which never left the fluff.
Ogre Kingdoms: All the new additions are fully new, no mentions from the previous fluff.
The Empire: Witchhunters have existed in the fluff for ages and Marius Leitdorf has also been part of the background for a long time. Reiksguard knights have been in the fluff before but they were in the rules previously as well, Reiksguard knights was just split into a unit of their own from simply being a knight unit.
Warriors of Chaos: The Chimera has lurked in the fluff for a while and was allowed it's entry to the rules now. The rest are new however.
Daemons of Chaos: New without older fluff.
Lizardmen: New without older fluff.
Dark Elves: New without older fluff with the exception of the Fleetmaster who cheats his way past this by being a higher ranked version of a Corsair Captain.
VC: Strigoi Ghoulkings and the special characters have been in the fluff a long time but the other additions are new.
Highelves: The sisters of Averlorn, their queen and her handmaidens are all taken from the fluff and transfered to the tabletop. The rest are new.
Dwarfs: Apart from King Ungrim the additions are all new.

Oogie boogie boss
03-04-2014, 12:25
Always seems that, with Fantasy at least, GW come up with the unit or models, and then they're incorporated into the fluff. With 40k, they wait for Dan Abnett to create a vehicle or unit and then do a model in his honour. :p

SpanielBear
03-04-2014, 12:51
As a kid I owned both an everqueen and hand maid models. They were metal, and had amazing 60's hairstyles. They may have been fluff-only in editions before that, but the new models aren't their first outing.

Lastavenger
03-04-2014, 13:16
O&G: None of the additions really existed before, massive spiders were mentioned in the 8th edition BRB however so if you feel generous the Arachnarok could be accepted as this. Previous editions of O&G armybook mentioned enormous spiders, but they wasn't named yet.

Highelves: The sisters of Averlorn, their queen and her handmaidens are all taken from the fluff and transfered to the tabletop. The rest are new.Aren't Phenixes at least mentioned in fluff? Phoenix King? Phoenix guard?

warhammerscotlandplayer
03-04-2014, 14:19
Handmaidens and Alarielle had PDF Downloads and white Dwarf rules. If i recall i used them in 6th edition. The Horn was a rule from them, banner avelorn i think is new. THe Sisters are a split of handmaiden. Good amount of fluff in the older books, delighted they have made a return. Unsure about anything else on the list.

Urgat
03-04-2014, 15:42
O&G: None of the additions really existed before, massive spiders were mentioned in the 8th edition BRB however so if you feel generous the Arachnarok could be accepted as this.

The arachnarok was already mentionned in the 4th ed armybook actually, just not named that way, but forest goblins have always worshipped "dragon-sized spiders".

Rake
03-04-2014, 15:44
Mostly you can tell by looking at it: Is it garish, freaky or just plain ludicrous? Then it belongs to new fluff.

Starlive
03-04-2014, 15:58
Handmaidens and Alarielle had PDF Downloads and white Dwarf rules. If i recall i used them in 6th edition. The Horn was a rule from them, banner avelorn i think is new. THe Sisters are a split of handmaiden. Good amount of fluff in the older books, delighted they have made a return. Unsure about anything else on the list.

Alarielle and her handmaidens came from the 5th ed HE rulebook, least I'm mistaking. The PDF were a mean to make them available in 6th.
And the chimera had a model and rules in 2nd or 3rd. It was not as big (same for the manticore of the time) and taking one as a mount was a bit awkward (the rider was to be made to fit if you wanted him to not topple on the slightest brush). Most fantasy monsters were present in 3rd (cocatrix for example).

Voss
03-04-2014, 19:34
Mostly you can tell by looking at it: Is it garish, freaky or just plain ludicrous? Then it belongs to new fluff.

Trollslayers disagree with an axe, as they are defiantly all three.

Leogun_91
03-04-2014, 21:13
Aren't Phenixes at least mentioned in fluff? Phoenix King? Phoenix guard?As a symbol of the Highelves they are mentioned and used but as actual creatures they haven't really turned up before.

kylek2235
03-04-2014, 22:01
Dwarfs: Apart from King Ungrim the additions are all new.

I'm going to cordially disagree on this last part. The only new bits are the Gyrobomber (which is the original Gyrocopter with a a new name) and the Irondrakes (who are a tunnel fighting regiment). Although the names themselves probably have never been mentioned, I'd argue that the rolls they occupy have been alluded to for quite some time. A Gyro that drops bombs and a shooting tunnel fighter unit.

Others are pretty spot on, especially my Ogres, who irrationally gained Mournfang Riders and marginalized their own heavy cav, the Rhinox Riders. Ugh.

Love the Dark Elf synopsis!

Leogun_91
04-04-2014, 08:48
I'm going to cordially disagree on this last part. The only new bits are the Gyrobomber (which is the original Gyrocopter with a a new name) and the Irondrakes (who are a tunnel fighting regiment). Although the names themselves probably have never been mentioned, I'd argue that the rolls they occupy have been alluded to for quite some time. A Gyro that drops bombs and a shooting tunnel fighter unit.Those are two of five new additions, the other three are Ungrim Ironfist, Belegar Ironhammer and Grimm Burloksson. Of those three only Ungrim Ironfist was in the fluff before although Grimm Burloksson is the son of an old special character so I suppose he is inspired by old fluff even though he didn't exist in the old fluff.
The Dwarf army book (thankfully) didn't add lots of new units but the few that were added are new (though very well fitting) additions to the fluff.

kylek2235
04-04-2014, 15:41
Those are two of five new additions, the other three are Ungrim Ironfist, Belegar Ironhammer and Grimm Burloksson. Of those three only Ungrim Ironfist was in the fluff before although Grimm Burloksson is the son of an old special character so I suppose he is inspired by old fluff even though he didn't exist in the old fluff.
The Dwarf army book (thankfully) didn't add lots of new units but the few that were added are new (though very well fitting) additions to the fluff.

Ack, I almost forgot about those guys. Belegar had never been mentioned before? He'd never been a special character but I was sure he'd had at least a casual mention somewhere. Not even in the scenarios in the old 4th/5th edition books? Spot on with Burlok. He's kind of an odd addition.

Alltaken
04-04-2014, 18:35
Well by that logic, the only army that would count as being armoured would be warriors of chaos. If they weren't such a big presence in the meta, S4 would still be a really decent score.

At least he's in the gotrek and felix books

From my servoskull

Dark Aly
05-04-2014, 04:46
belegar was indeed a character who existed in the 4th ed dwarf army book campaign. He was just a generic lord though with runic items.

MOMUS
07-04-2014, 13:47
Its basically the exact opposite 99% of the time to the OPs suggestion.New stuff gets thought of and then shoehorned into the existing fluff.