PDA

View Full Version : LEGO and GW...

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2014, 17:17
I haven't seen anyone post these around here, but I found these quite neat.

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/would-a-switch-to-lego-make-warhammer-40k-gami-1544645788

I wouldn't give up my super detailed models, but the creativity is very cool.

Geep
06-04-2014, 05:12
That is pretty cool, but it's also one of few ways to make GW models more expensive. I also think the novelty would wear off fairly quickly. The pre-painted nature of LEGO has advantages though.

The bearded one
06-04-2014, 06:12
The pre-painted nature of LEGO has advantages though.

And disadvantages.

Y'know.. Already being painted.

MyNameDidntFit
06-04-2014, 06:16
Aye. LEGO is one of the select few things in this world that I, as a GW wargamer, can truly scoff at the price of. At least for our ridiculous prices we get awesome detail!

New Cult King
06-04-2014, 06:25
Aye. LEGO is one of the select few things in this world that I, as a GW wargamer, can truly scoff at the price of. At least for our ridiculous prices we get awesome detail!

See I don't know. A $15 LEGO Ninjago Fire Mech kit here is bigger than a $74 GW SM Dreadnought, and articulated to boot. Horses for courses, but the whole "LEGO is more expensive than GW" argument doesn't work here in Australia.

MyNameDidntFit
06-04-2014, 07:18
Perhaps not on a pure size basis, but from what I've looked at around here locally I'd be much less happy with the quality/dollar I got from LEGO. Or maybe it's just that all LEGO these days looks far too simplified from the days of everything being built from damned bricks rather than these pre-made parts... jaded, I might be...

carlospictor
06-04-2014, 12:44
Are they made from actual current Lego parts or CGI "imaginings" of what 40k Lego could look like?

Samsonov
06-04-2014, 15:19
Lego Dawn of War could be interesting.

Athelassan
06-04-2014, 18:39
Are they made from actual current Lego parts or CGI "imaginings" of what 40k Lego could look like?
It looks distinctly like CGI to me, albeit done well.

ntw3001
06-04-2014, 22:02
Why are there a bunch of GW Centurions right in the middwaaaitaminute

simonjedi
06-04-2014, 22:50
It's a bit harsh to call LEGO bricks 'pre-painted' is a bit harsh, that's the colour that the bricks are molded in. It'slike saying that Warhammer Miniatures are 'pre-painted grey'

I'd be interested in seeing someone creating these with proper bricks. The problem with CGI creations like these, is that they basically cheat with the connections and joints and building it irl makes it either impossible or super fragile.

Typo
07-04-2014, 08:59
Perhaps not on a pure size basis, but from what I've looked at around here locally I'd be much less happy with the quality/dollar I got from LEGO. Or maybe it's just that all LEGO these days looks far too simplified from the days of everything being built from damned bricks rather than these pre-made parts... jaded, I might be...

Try the UCS models if you want an old fashioned brick-based for-grownups build. The B-Wing and R2-D2 were very satisfying :) Currently eyeing up the UCS X-wing and trying to resist buying the last Super Star Destroyer that's sitting in the Lego shop in town (and has been for the last four years).

Rick_1138
07-04-2014, 09:45
I have the SSD sitting on the shelf on the stairwell into my flat.....most swish....well I think so :)

Zingraff
07-04-2014, 09:45
Those look neat.

When I first read the headline, I thought it had something to do with using Lego men to play Warhammer. Something like this http://legoforwarhammer.wifeo.com/images/armee_comte_vampire.jpg.

And not so much like this: http://img0.joyreactor.cc/pics/comment/full/warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-lego-imperium-344910.jpeg

Do a Google Image Search for "lego warhammer" and you'll find lots more pictures.

I believe I know some people who used to play with Lego men as stand-ins. Another advantage in Warhammer, is that you wouldn't need a movement tray.

deathspank
09-04-2014, 08:37
Try the UCS models if you want an old fashioned brick-based for-grownups build. The B-Wing and R2-D2 were very satisfying :) Currently eyeing up the UCS X-wing and trying to resist buying the last Super Star Destroyer that's sitting in the Lego shop in town (and has been for the last four years).

Have to agree,Lego Do some very adult and detailed kits these days, i was lucky enough to receive Lego Tower Bridge kit from my wife as a christmas present, it has 4300 bricks most of which are tiny, took me quite a few days to build , there are quite a few of these larger adult kits about these days, the VW camper van is a great example of how versatile lego is as a toy.
http://www.lego.com/en-us/creator/products/expertmodels/10234

Herzlos
09-04-2014, 10:59
I'd certainly take the Lego Sopwith Camel (http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Sopwith-Camel-10226?_requestid=331) over an Imperial Knight any day.

Sanai
09-04-2014, 11:08
There are actually a fair few hobbies more expensive than Games Workshop. Look at Magic the Gathering for example- at my friends game store, people would buy multiple booster packs (Each) over the course of each gaming night, and each time a new expansion came out (every couple of months) people would buy Fatpacks or Booster boxes containing hundreds of cards.

On top of that, some events (like Booster Drafts) you have to buy more booster packs to even participate. Combine all of that with the fact that there is little to no downtime between buying the product and using it (you open the pack, add the cards you want from it to your deck, then play, unlike 40k where you buy a kit and it will keep you occupied for up to a week assembling and painting the thing), and the inherent gambling factor of opening booster packs, and MtG can really hurt your wallet very quickly if you are not careful.

With Lego, it really depends on what you want to do. Licensed stuff, like Star Wars Lego, can get pretty pricey. If you just want one or two kits to mess around with, its generally okay- but some people aim to play pseudo-tabletop wargaming with Star Wars Lego, which generally requires a large amount of Star Wars lego, which gets expensive. Then you get people who make custom kits like the ones above, which generally requires parts sourced from a great many kits.

ntw3001
10-04-2014, 01:46
MtG has a variable price, though. You don't have to spend a lot to play casually. Not saying it's a cheap hobby (especially if you buy boosters), but 30 will easily get you a pretty good multiplayer deck (Magic has the advantage that all the costly cards are the ones tournament players like, and good multiplayer cards, barring a few old staples, don't cost much). Inexpensive options exist, and are the most common way of playing. For 40k, the minimum spend is way higher, even for a player who only ever wanted to play kill-team.

Herzlos
10-04-2014, 08:55
More importantly, a MtG booster is easily within the impulse buying range of a lot of people and fits in with these booster events (you buy a pack, open it and play for the evening) which is easily comparable with a night in the pub. GW doesn't have that as you need to assemble stuff first, so impulse event entries can't happen.

samiens
11-04-2014, 01:13
As a collector of both, I have to say Lego is, in my opinion, better value for money. As someone who has written a Lego skirmish system I'm intrigued by the phrase 'pseudo-wargaming' - there's quite a few quality rule sets written specifically for brick based gaming and plenty of other systems work fine with it!
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express