PDA

View Full Version : Likely allies / cool themed combos

Darnok
05-04-2014, 18:47
I just wondered what people use the ally system for, apart from the much moaned about tournament shenanigans.

There surely are a lot of cool themed combined armies out there, as well as people fielding "likely" allies to support a certain idea they have in mind. I'd really like to hear about what people actually came up with: stories, ideas what some want to do, pictures of what exists. I'm sure a lot of gamers and hobbyists use allies for other things than "powergaming", and hopefully we'll get to see a nice collection of cool stuff here.

BRING IT ON! :D:yes:

Wolf Lord Balrog
05-04-2014, 18:51
For my Tau I'm working on expanding my old Human Auxiliaries squads (converted with Tau bits of course) into a small IG Allies detachment (still all converted with Tau bits, of course :) ).

For my Space Wolves I just use Allies as an excuse to bend the composition rules for the army. Space Wolves + Space Marine Allies, which are actually just more of my Space Wolves models arranged differently.

warlordbob
05-04-2014, 18:55
I'm looking at doing a few squads of Scions for Skitarii, to join my House Krast knights. A few Inquisitors to represent Tribunes (maybe the FW Magos as Karamazov), and converted Kreig Grenadiers as the Skitarii, with modfied Taurox, and I think it'll be a solid looking team-up.

Darnok
05-04-2014, 18:59
For my Space Wolves I just use Allies as an excuse to bend the composition rules for the army. Space Wolves + Space Marine Allies, which are actually just more of my Space Wolves models arranged differently.

I guess the "Space Marine SW" are painted as another grand company for differentiation? And how are your experiences with this on the table - both your own gaming and reactions from others?

P.S.: Pixplz? :D

Ghazbad_Facestompa
05-04-2014, 19:18
I'll be using the Inquisition "codex" and the MT to represent a couple of Ordo Malleus Inquisitors (one Monodominant and one Xanthite; for obvious reasons, they generally won't be in the same army list as each other) and a strike force of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, with my Fists providing requisitioned support until that army is off the ground.

Menthak
05-04-2014, 20:48
Usually I ally my Guard with my Marine, just because their fluff has them fighting as one organisation.

II Orar II
05-04-2014, 20:56
I've always wanted to do an Ultramar Auxilia to go alongside my Ultra's. Never got round to it though. What do people think of the Tempestus Scion models for making an Ultramar Auxilia? Other possible ideas include FW hostile environment.

3eland
05-04-2014, 21:44
My only two armies for 40k consist of Grey Knights and Nids. So it's impossible to actually ally them.. although maybe....

II Orar II
05-04-2014, 22:18
My only two armies for 40k consist of Grey Knights and Nids. So it's impossible to actually ally them.. although maybe....

Channel your inner Matt Ward. There is always a way.

The Emperor
05-04-2014, 22:40
I'm working on forces likely to appear in a combined Ultramar military force. Ultramarines are a given, of course, but since Ultramar tithes troops to the Imperial Guard, I've been wanting to collect some Ultramar Imperial Guard Regiments, too. I've just been waiting for carapace armored guard, as I figured that the regiments from Ultramar would be better equipped than the norm (I came up with this idea back during the 3.5 Codex: Imperial Guard when they had Doctrines which allowed regular Guardsmen to take Carapace Armor). With the 5th edition codex I planned on doing Veteran Squads in Carapace Armor, but again, I needed the miniatures. I'm waiting to see what happens with the new codex, though, to see how the new list might affect my plans. And hey, you never know. Maybe they will talk about Imperial Guard regiments from Ultramar and what they look like. If not then I'll just invent my own scheme.

But while I'm still waiting to see Codex: Astra Militarum, I have, however, seen Codex: Militarum Tempestus, and apparently Ultramar has acquired its own Scions. So I guess I now know what color to paint the 10 Scions and the Taurox that I bought yesterday.

I also wanted to see about adding a Knight Household in Ultramar, but GW saved me the trouble and put a well known Knight Household on Voltoris, near Ultramar. And wouldn't you know it? Their color scheme just happens to match the Ultramarines. So now I know what color I'll be painting my Knights! :D

And of course, there's an Inquisition Fortress World in Talasar, so that's where my Inquisitors and Inquisitorial Henchmen are going to come from. Currently I have 2 Crusaders, 2 Death Cult Assassins, 1 Jokaero, and should be getting 3 Arco-Flagellans in the mail any day now. Not to mention the two old pewter Inquisitors I have, Coteaz, and my Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armor (I'm thinking of making him the head of that Inquisitorial Fortress World. Come up with a name and backstory for him).

I also have a bunch of Servitors I can add to my Inquisitorial Henchmen if I so choose. I can do the same with some old Arbites/Enforcers I have if I want some Acolytes with Boltguns and Carapace Armor (I just wish they could take Shotguns, so I could use my coolest Arbitrator model).

BTW: There's a Forge World in Ultramar, Konor, which just might provide a Warhound and Reaver Titan to my force some day. And should the Adeptus Mechanicus ever make an appearance...

Sadly, however, I've yet to learn of any Adepta Sororitas convents anywhere near Ultramar, so that's out.

Menthak
06-04-2014, 00:40
Sadly, however, I've yet to learn of any Adepta Sororitas convents anywhere near Ultramar, so that's out.

Just do a crusading force currently near the system?

The Emperor
06-04-2014, 00:48
Nah, I'm looking for forces permanently entrenched in the area. No worries, though. The lack of Adepta Sororitas convents nearby saves me the expense of collecting all those expensive pewter miniatures. ;)

DivineVisitor
06-04-2014, 03:59
I have three main armies each with a planned allied contingent:

Space Wolves allied with Adepta Sororitas
Currently waiting on the mythical plastic sisters to get underway.

Biel Tan Eldar allied with Dark Eldar
This force is meant to be from the same craftworld and i use converted Dark Eldar Incubi etc to represent other Aspect Warriors.

Alpha Legion allied with Imperial Guard
I play them in a variety of different ways depending on what i wish to do. My Alpha Legion have been created using parts from Chaos, Space Marine and Grey Knight kits. Their backgrund briefly is that they have infiltrated themselves into the Imperium as the Space Marine Chapter the Omega Dragons. I use either the Chaos, Space Marine or Horus Heresy army lists to represent them depending on what i wish to try out. The way i make my lists a Space Marine is always a Space Marine so its all WYSIWYG. Obviously my Guard always use the Guard Codex.

Sanai
06-04-2014, 04:12
My long term plan is to have a large chaos army, with each god using a different ally combo.
Tzeentch is my Alpha Legion with Tzeentch Daemon Allies.
Nurgle will be Nurgle Daemons with Typhus Plague Zombie CSM Allies.
Khorne will be Blood Pact traitor guard with Kharn & Berzerkers with allies.
Slaanesh will be a radical/traitor inquisitor with a traitor Knight for an ally.

My guard army is going to be Imperial Guard, with Astra Militarum allies representing the regiments company of grenadiers.

The Emperor
06-04-2014, 05:22
Gentlemen... BEHOLD! My first beret wearing Guardsman! Sadly the head wasn't a perfect fit, but once I snapped of the neck and added a pin for stability, it turned out looking very nice. I'm not sure if I want to go through that much trouble for an entire army, but you're definitely looking at the first member of my Ultramar Imperial Guard Veteran Squad. :D

Born Again
06-04-2014, 13:11
Channel your inner Matt Ward. There is always a way.

A reinforcement detachment of Grey Knights arrives at Shadowbrink too late to save their brothers, and finds themselves fighting the daemons alongside the Tyranids. Huzzah! How did I do?

I have played with my Tau and Dark Eldar allied before, using only haemonculi coven units for the DE, playing against Tyranids, in a recreation of the "War of Revelations" story in the DE codex.

Given the similarity in appearance between 2nd edition Necrons and the old Chaos androids, I've often thought about CSM/ Necron alliances on the tabletop.

T10
06-04-2014, 13:25
Usually I ally my Guard with my Marine, just because their fluff has them fighting as one organisation.

Agreed, though in terms of a "standing fighting force" it seems more appropriate for a small group of Space Marines to support the Guard rather than vice-versa. A Guard detachment seconded to a Space Marine force seems a bit... I don't know. Do Space Marines need mascots?

That being said, I am in fact looking to build a small Guard detachment to support my main Space Marine army. :) It'll be my first steps toward making a proper Guard army, I think.

Navar
06-04-2014, 13:43
In the Horus Heresy line the Iron Hands are only "Battle Brothers" with 3 forces, and the Mechanicum is the primary.

They can even take Mechanicum robots as elite choices and can have controllers for them on their characters.

So I am working on an Iron Hands force and a Mechanicum force and as often as possible I intend to field them together.

Dr.Clock
06-04-2014, 13:54
CSM and Daemons. This is pretty obvious, really... Essentially as 6th hit and the two Chaos codexes came out, I couldn't resist converting my DIY SM into followers of the Blood God.

There were two main problems, however:

1) Mono-god armies other than Nurgle and Slaanesh are sub-par on the field.

2) My original chapter contained a large number of scouts - I wanted them to translate into something more than simple cultists.

Thus, I determined that my scouts themselves would become part of the Daemons contingent. While I do have one unit of Bloodletters, they are complemented by 20 'possessed scouts' wielding Bestigor great weapons in a mixed unit with weird shape-shifting skinks (converted using Chaos Spawn bits)... These count as Daemonettes which I then infiltrate using Huron, and they are backed up by further infiltrating Berzerkers (when I get good rolls on that D3).

I also occasionally use an My Chaos Lord on juggernaught as a Keeper of Secrets - the jugger has had massive horns added to its shoulders from an Ogre Kingdoms kit... and the Lord stands between them, making it easier twice as tall as a marine.

I also have some old Rackham Confrontation models that I use as Fiends or Spawn.

CSM and Daemons go together like, well, CSM and Daemons.

I plan eventually to have a small Guard contingent of light infantry for my Sallies to 'work with' (protect).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Theocracity
06-04-2014, 15:47
I've run my Dark Eldar alongside my Orks in the past - the result of a Haemonculus abducting some boyz to experiment with a new variety of meat puppets. It...didn't go that well, as you might expect.

MvS
06-04-2014, 20:47
It may be a tad conventional, but a Crusade fleet of Templars, reinforced with Imperial Knights and Guard, with some Mechanicus goodness thrown in for good measure.

Marshal
06-04-2014, 21:36
For non-power gaming? Dark Eldar and Eldar. Siam Hann themed with Eldar Jetbikes matched up with Reavers/Hellions. Wanting to add in some Vypers into the mix soon enough. Fluff was a Siam Hann warband leaving the craftworld joining up with some Dark Eldar pirates... or something like that. Still a WIP...

Minsc
06-04-2014, 21:45
Out of my 4 main armies (CSM, Salamanders, Eldar and Orks), I would only ever consider 2 allies.

1) Chaos Daemons to my CSM, which is pretty much the only ally-combination I don't disdain**. It's fluffy and mends a broken codex somewhat.

2) My Salamanders will on occasion ally with 1 Imperial Knight. Mostly because I love the model, but a Knight (especially with Thermal Cannon) wouldn't be that awkward to see in a Salamander-list.

My Eldar and my Orks would never ever consider allying themselves with anyone.

(**I hate pretty much everything about allies. 90% of the playerbase only use it to powergame and make their list even better, and to all GW's excuses, we all know they implemented it only to sell us more miniatures. Fluff and game-balance be damned. If you like me would only consider allies from a fluff-PoV, then more power to you! Personally I feel that if I want to play army X, then I want to play army X, not army X where 25-50% is made up of army Y as well. Once upon a time, this would only be legal in Apocalypse, as it should be.)

Greyhound
07-04-2014, 01:34
I tend to ally my Codex: orks with Codex: dread mob.

Usually to represent different klans working together.
Recently I've made up lists with the Dread Mob orks (who do not have nobs) represent freebootaz and complement my main ork force. Trouble is the flash gitz I want to use in the freeboota detachment have to belong to the main force, so I have to abstract the reality of the force organisation and the actual force split up on the battlefield.

I generally like the idea of matching my orks with more orks as every list coming out of this mash up allows me to make some new concepts I couldn't do in the old codex.

3eland
07-04-2014, 02:24
A reinforcement detachment of Grey Knights arrives at Shadowbrink too late to save their brothers, and finds themselves fighting the daemons alongside the Tyranids. Huzzah! How did I do?

I have played with my Tau and Dark Eldar allied before, using only haemonculi coven units for the DE, playing against Tyranids, in a recreation of the "War of Revelations" story in the DE codex.

Given the similarity in appearance between 2nd edition Necrons and the old Chaos androids, I've often thought about CSM/ Necron alliances on the tabletop.

Perhaps lol

Sanai
07-04-2014, 03:53
One day I want to ally Guard led by Yarrick with Orks led by Ghazghull, just to see if the universe folds in on itself and implodes.

Scribe of Khorne
07-04-2014, 04:28
Any Cult CSM force that is missing Daemons is just a pale shadow in my eyes. :p

I love Eldar/DE, I dont care if beaststar's wreck face.
I like IG/SM, in that order as its reflective of the fluff.

I like the mountain of options Imperial forces get, you can really do just whatever you want at this point if you can stomach the fascist pigs that are the lackeys of the False Emperor. ;)

(I run CSM/Daemons, or Daemons/CSM in 40K, however with Admech being a real thing in 40K, I will be running Night Lords + Admech, that will eventually lead to a Knight Army, so I can ruin people's days and troll IRL)

gwarsh41
07-04-2014, 16:32
I am building up my Space Wolves now, I really want to have a "From the warp 13th company" type thing pop up. Like a stormtalon filled with pissed off Space Wolves show up. The downside is that the armies that can ally in a storm talon don't have an assault unit that is quite what I would want for the SW.

DeathGlam
07-04-2014, 17:14
I echo some other posters when the appeal with allies for me will be the Imperium, i love the idea of a mostly IG infantry force trying to hold the line before a couple of Drop Pods with Marines arrive to help.

Treadhead_1st
07-04-2014, 17:33
I mostly play without Allies myself, given that I collect specific armies because I like that army (Salamanders, Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar).

That said, there are a couple of combos I would like to use:

1) Adepta Sororitas primary, with Imperial Knight ally, and an Inquisitor with his retinue in a Valkyrie (and some Henchmen "Arbites") as a "freebie" - would get my ancient plans for a Witch Hunter army back on track, and allow me to field one of the gorgeous Knight models without, hopefully, too many complaints.

2) Iron Warriors primary with Necron secondary to represent the creations of the Dark Mechanicus - though I might just start up a Heresy-era Mechanicus force all of its own now that Forge World have got on that one (but that would miss out all the Chaosy goodness of the last Codex and its daemon engines) :/.

If I ever get around to restarting my old Steel Legion army, once my Cadians are done, then they might ally with my Salamanders for a little while until I can get them up and running as a stand-alone force, and that has the advantage of fitting very well with the background for both armies (given that their original army lists/model ranges were launched in the same Codex).

Menthak
07-04-2014, 18:01
Agreed, though in terms of a "standing fighting force" it seems more appropriate for a small group of Space Marines to support the Guard rather than vice-versa. A Guard detachment seconded to a Space Marine force seems a bit... I don't know. Do Space Marines need mascots?

That being said, I am in fact looking to build a small Guard detachment to support my main Space Marine army. :) It'll be my first steps toward making a proper Guard army, I think.

Well normally yes, the Marine force comes first. But I use the Guard army to represent units that specifically fight as one organisation, so neither are mascots for the other.

It's a good way to start a Guard army off though, originally my guard army was a single squad of Gue'Vesa. Now it's two separate standalone armies.

The Highlander
07-04-2014, 18:14
I have an Inquisitor and mates in a land raider I build for the old witch hunters codex, thanks to the new rules I can start using him in my SOB and guard armies again. Apart from that I've added the living saint and a couple of squads of sisters to my guard on a few occasions. The background to my imperial collection is a brigade of imperial guard who have been seconded to an Inquisitor, accompanied by his bodyguard of Adepta Sororitas.

Brother Alexos
07-04-2014, 18:41
Something I would like to do with the current Chaos codices is represent a force or Rebels that have finally enacted a dark ritual to bring forth Daemons to aid them. So, basically this is how the force will look:

Main force: Daemons (Mono or dual-god variety)
- Led by Greater Daemon and Herald
- Lots of troops

Allies: Cultists
- Led by a Dark Apostle (I'll likely convert 4 Dark Apostles and make them all different god-aligned), or a Sorceror (Both if the allied chart permits, I haven't checked)
- Large blobs of Cultists, hopefully I can grab enough Necromunda bits and oop metal minis to add some character to these guys.
- Chaos Spawn

Alternate Allies: Guardsmen
- Led by either a Primaris Psyker (If I take Nurgle or Tzeentchian Daemons), or a Lord Commissar (If I take Khorne Daemons), or a converted Imperial Scribe acting as a Lord Governor leading a Company Command Squad in his own personal ride (If I take Slaaneshi Daemons)
- Infantry blobs in the form of near-barebone platoons (hopefully 2 platoons), with lots of Preachers and Conscripts
- Elites taken by converted Ogryns, or mutant Ratlings
- Heavy Support will be taken up by very old, run-down, Leman Russ, or a single Basilisk. I may end up taking something newer if I take the Lord Governor, as he would have the authority to use them.
- As a bonus, if I build this army so that the regular infantry and tanks are left unconverted/ unmarked by the Gods, but Sergeants, Platoon leadership, and Elites slots are marked, I can switch to a guard army by simply getting extra sergeants, priests, etc. that aren't chaotic.

The idea is that the Cultists will be on the table for the first turn, enacting their ritual, and then turn 2 the Daemons show up and add some hitting power to the force while Cultists capture objectives and the Greater Daemons of the list take care of enemy HQ's in challenges. It won't be the most effective list I don't think, and there will be the chance that the enemy can table me if the Cultists are ripped to shreds too soon, or if the Daemons don't enter from reserve fast enough, but if anything that adds to the story element of the army; the enemy will have to race against time to try and stop the summoning. Hopefully I can get enough different characterful minis for the Cult units that I can swap different leaders for different Marks of Chaos on the unit. So, a mark with Tzeentch will have a different leader than a unit with the Mark of Khorne, or the Mark of Nurgle.

drbored
07-04-2014, 18:46
Here's the thing with allies...

When you get forces of different races or factions working together, seldom will they change their heraldry or colors to match each other better.

In my opinion, the coolest allied force would be two known factions working together towards a common goal, like Eldar of Ulthwe and Tau of the Vior'La. Painted up and represented by their normal colors, working together on the table. It's that contrast between factions that would actually be fluffier and more interesting to me.

Other things that I'd like to see...
Imperial Guard of Cadia working alongside the Ultramarines. The Blue and Green would really pop across the table.
Thousand Sons working with Daemons of Tzeentch. Blue could easily tie the two armies together, but the daemons would be easy to distinguish with pink tones.
Iyanden Eldar working with Farsight Tau. Bright yellow automatons and blood red battlesuits! It'd be soooo cool!

Those are the sorts of things that make allies more interesting, in my opinion.

Brother Alexos
07-04-2014, 18:59
Here's the thing with allies...

When you get forces of different races or factions working together, seldom will they change their heraldry or colors to match each other better.

In my opinion, the coolest allied force would be two known factions working together towards a common goal, like Eldar of Ulthwe and Tau of the Vior'La. Painted up and represented by their normal colors, working together on the table. It's that contrast between factions that would actually be fluffier and more interesting to me.

Other things that I'd like to see...
Imperial Guard of Cadia working alongside the Ultramarines. The Blue and Green would really pop across the table.
Thousand Sons working with Daemons of Tzeentch. Blue could easily tie the two armies together, but the daemons would be easy to distinguish with pink tones.
Iyanden Eldar working with Farsight Tau. Bright yellow automatons and blood red battlesuits! It'd be soooo cool!

Those are the sorts of things that make allies more interesting, in my opinion.

I like the point made here; I once saw a really good-looking army made for a Doubles tourny where one guy painted Cadians (They were the old-school Metal Cadians, too. It was a real treat seeing the old models), and the other painted Crimson Fists. They went up against my Ork Speed freaks and my little brother's Hive Fleet Behemoth. It was nice because on the one hand the Biege/ Green and Red/ Blue colours really popped on the other side of the table, making the Marines and Guard stand out as individual armies working together, while the Green Red and Blue of my Orks and my little brother's Nids tied together and made it look like a more unified Horde was trying to wipe the Imperial players. I'm hoping to do the armies I listed above like that; a unified army with different colours.

Still Standing
07-04-2014, 19:05
My Corsairs, with my Iyanden Wraiths, with my Mymearan skimmers, with my Alaitoc rangers.

kane40k
07-04-2014, 20:12
I'm planning an Imperial Fists Project. I'm planning on painting up a few standard SM to represent a core, then I think as I play campaigns I'll keep track and convert unit's that gain a bit of a story. . . So probably more as Plugins. . .

So a main body, 2 troops, a couple of transports, maybe one of each choice. . . These are my 'Tests' for Painting techniques too. Then when I go home, which is pretty much quarterly, I'll take a different list themed around the campaign. It means I don't start a tonne of different projects that stay unfinished, but I can still do new things. I think the next campaign will probably be based around an imperials vs chaos situation, so that will generate a story, which I will then play around with.

DoctorTom
07-04-2014, 21:03
I see the allies rules as a good way for doing "counts as" armies. Squats could be done with IG with SM allies (mainly to get scout bikes for the Squat bikes, and the Thunderfire cannon). Grey Knights/Inquisition could be used also for some squats.

I've been toying with the idea of an Ork army with SM allies, where the SM stuff is actually orks looting Imperial stuff - Centurions with Orks (or possibly grots to be more amusing) inside and the like.

tiger g
07-04-2014, 22:01
Well trying to make sure all of my armies fit together in a fluff manner and look.

Working on a LRAG (long range arid group). From the guard side have a basis of Tallarn figures and cavalry. As with some imperial guard regiments they are the remnants of a battle along with some Cadian and Catachan. So the make up of the base army are figures, vehicles, etc.

Have two units of storm troopers who can either be the elites or an allied group. (need to assemble and paint the HQ).

Also have an allied force of Elysians that can fight with them.

If needed I have a small allied force of Mercenary Orks in a desert scheme and an Inquisition group also in a desert scheme with one Dakka jet.

The units and forces do all look good together and make a nice force.

To support them is a fast attack space marines with a color of orange and based on desert bases. some bikes and skimmers to go along with the LRAG theme.

Looking forward to add an imperial knight freebooter in the lance scheme from Forgeworld again painted for desert warfare.

Like how they can either fight together and have various options or fight against each other.

The only painted units for 40k I have that do not fit are my one units of sisters. have enough to make an allied detachment but the purple scheme does not fit.

RanaldLoec
08-04-2014, 00:38
A word on painting, crimson fists are the current priority so the guard are some what grey. Apologies in advance.

The retaking of Ryanns World is a story primarily of the Crimson Fists.

But struggling on in hit and run warfare forgotten by the remembrances the men of the Ryanns Guard waged a grim and hard fought campaign in the mountains and highlands against the Xenos invasion.

Mobility, stealth and discipline hallmarks of campaign and veterans of the Ryanns Guard. These qualities have now been transferred off world in support of the diminished Crimson Fists Chapter.

Ultimately under the command of Chapter Master Kantor used for secondary and tertiary missions leaving the Astartes free to concentrate on the key objectives.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/8u7usuda.jpg
A glimpse of a small part of my Ryanns Guard.

Colonel Harken of the 882nd Airborne and command Squad.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/3ary3aqa.jpg

Ryanns Guard Veterans armoured in enclosed Pentip tactical carapace wielding Veloc pattern autolas carbines.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/tehuqy8a.jpg

Ryanns Guard Regulars with Mars pattern lasguns and standard flak armour.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/e2apesap.jpg

When the Imperial Guard reinforcements finally arrived they brought with them heavy armour.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/ge9y9ybe.jpg

Ordo Xenos inquisitor Lord Raglan with the commisar Lords Belton and Hagan requisitioned to his commandhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/ede2a4e9.jpg

And his retinue
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/8ujyqa6e.jpg

With the heavy armour came the advanced Ryza pattern leman Russ gifted to the Ryanns Guard regiments that defended Forge World Helekon supplier to the Crimson Fists of arms and armour.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/rejamy4a.jpg

Specialist squadrons where formed to combat the mixture of ork boyz mobz and mega armoured nobz that made up the bulk of the Xenos horde.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/ezuje2yd.jpg

The sholastica psykana telepathica sent squads of battle psykers lead by Primaris Psykers.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/etupanat.jpg

A multitude of other support weapons joined the campaign the one in greatest demand was the few manticore rocket launchers used to flatten orkish fortifications.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/3yvaqytu.jpg

But ultimately the sons of Dorn lead by Chapter Master Kantor rose from the ashes of near defeat to reclaim there world and honour.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/apatymeh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/vysyve9e.jpg

W.I.P stormeagle intended to be Kantors personal transport with some home brew rules.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/esy3ujy4.jpg

Steeped in history "Dorn Ultionis" is a machine from before the Crimson Fists founding. It's machine spirit is ancient, unyielding and indomitable in nature.

It's targeting auspex flashing unrecognized vehicle patterns while the vox net blurts static with barely audible oaths of vengeance from a time long past.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/dybagera.jpg

The rest of my CF are on my plog.

But that's my Story behind my linked armies.

Hal'jin
08-04-2014, 09:03
My Dark Eldar Kabal - The Last Hatred, according to fluff absolutely loathes their Craftworld cousins. And is into necromancy. And dreams of rebuilding the Eldar Empire of old.

For that reason they have captured and enslaved several Wraith Constructs (Wraithguard and a Wraithknight - sue me ;)). They will be fully converted with haemonculi chains binding them, torture devices attached... As well as muscle and skin grafts. After all, the DE have no means of repairing wraithbone, so they have to cope. ;)

Otherwise I have a small Ravenwing force to ally to my Wolves. I always thought it's more mutual respect/rivalry rather than open animosity they have for each other. Not so much fluff reasons than me wanting to have some of the cool new bikes.

jtrowell
08-04-2014, 13:04
[...]
I like the mountain of options Imperial forces get, you can really do just whatever you want at this point if you can stomach the fascist pigs that are the lackeys of the False Emperor. ;)

[...]

You shoudn't talk like of of GamesWorshop, they might be "fascist pigs that are the lackeys of the False Emperor", but they are still humans inside (at least I hope they are, I still have some doubpt about the CEO and some others in the upper management) :angel:

RandomThoughts
08-04-2014, 13:45
Since everyone else in my gaming group was playing some kind of imperial force or other I scrapped my initial plans to add Ravenguard allies (the sneakiest of the Space Marines) to my already pretty stealth-themed Eldar craftworld.

The two other ideas I had were:

A) The wise leaders of my craftworld contacted and the wise leaders of an old Necron Tomb World realize they must leave the old animosities behind to build a brighter future, leading to an alliance of the two highly advanced races that the lesser races will fear

B) A elite force of Eldar hiding behind a massive wall of expandable Ork mercenaries

A of course was prohibited entirely by the allies matrix and B only would have worked with the mid-tier alliance so that the Orks could screen the more elite eldar units and score.

Imagine a world in which mad imperial scientists have been able to implant mechanical devices into the brains of hive node creatures that allow some kind of remote mind control, which in turn also gives them control over the lesser creatures controlled by the hive node creatures.

If you wanted, you could even model the node creatures with small parts of machinery sticking out of their heads. :D

Aryllon
08-04-2014, 14:18
Mine is 'all Eldar', except my craftworld loathes losing lives (dying flame etc) so aside from HQ and a single squad of DAs the rest of my list is made of auxiliaries fighting on the craftworld's behalf.

For rules purposes it works as Craftworlders allied with Corsairs, but I loop in all flavours as follows:

Primary detachment Iyanden with Harlequin elites, pathfinder troops, corsair & harlequin jetbikes (counts as regular bikes), corsair Nightshade (counts as Crimson Hunter)
Allied detachment Corsairs, with Kabalite Warrior elites

With Wraithlords, Wraithseer, wraithguard, wraithknight & wraithfighter adding to the above (I should point out I was using a wraith list before the current codex).

I've built it so I can actually field legal FOC primary detachments of either Harlequins or Corsairs if I want, or put everything in a single legal FOC.

My army fluff (written long before the current codex (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?344261-Craftworld-Aryllon&p=6285347&viewfull=1#post6285347)) is basically that my craftworld survives by a) getting others to do their fighting and b) prefers the use of wraith constructs over living Eldar (in both cases a soul can be lost in battle, but better a soul and a machine than a soul and a live citizen).

Dryaktylus
08-04-2014, 16:05
Well, when building an Adeptus Mechanicus force, you naturally end up with too many Tech-priests (at least I do). Another problem are the different standard weapons of the "normal" soldiers.

Right now, I think using the Clan Raukaan (Techmarines, TF Cannon, Scouts as Skitarii) codex with Guard (Enginseers and dudes with las-guns) and Inquisition allies (Warrior Acolytes and Arco-Flagellants) is the best option to field most of the miniatures. Switching to Guard as main detachment is possible too. Then some Rapiers with rules from Forge World.

Some examples how to use the models from left to right: Techmarine/Enginseer, Inquisitor, Stormtrooper/Warrior Acolyte, SM Scout/Warrior Acolyte, Warrior Acolyte, Servo-skull reading a walking book, Guard Sergeant/Warrior Acolyte.

(Sorry for the crappy photo)

RanaldLoec
08-04-2014, 16:18
Well, when building an Adeptus Mechanicus force, you naturally end up with too many Tech-priests (at least I do). Another problem are the different standard weapons of the "normal" soldiers.

Right now, I think using the Clan Raukaan (Techmarines, TF Cannon, Scouts as Skitarii) codex with Guard (Enginseers and dudes with las-guns) and Inquisition allies (Warrior Acolytes and Arco-Flagellants) is the best option to field most of the miniatures. Switching to Guard as main detachment is possible too. Then some Rapiers with rules from Forge World.

Some examples how to use the models from left to right: Techmarine/Enginseer, Inquisitor, Stormtrooper/Warrior Acolyte, SM Scout/Warrior Acolyte, Warrior Acolyte, Servo-skull reading a walking book, Guard Sergeant/Warrior Acolyte.

I was considering starting a Skitarii force using the guard codex.

I settled on a few Titans and knights instead.

Too many projects on the go.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Still Standing
08-04-2014, 17:24
If you want a Skitarii force use the Mechanicum list instead... Would make a lot of sense, that.

Disposable Hero
08-04-2014, 17:34
I have a Krieg Assault Brigade who can ally with an Inquisitor and his flying circus.

Besides that, my GK are lead by Valeria and her Warrior Acolytes.

And my collection of Marines that I use as Alpha Legion, without any Daemons.

Camman1984
08-04-2014, 17:37
I use varro tigurius as an ally to my raptors. He is their master telepath (i dont use divination for him). He embodies their stealth and misdirection tactics, making key units invisible to the enemy, sowing seeds of doubt and turning brother against brother.

I also sometimes bring scout sergeant telion along for his marksmanship.

Menthak
08-04-2014, 21:38

Loving the walking book.