PDA

View Full Version : Characters and magic shields

Tarsus
06-04-2014, 05:07
I have 2 questions about magic shields. First can a character who is normally permitted to wear armour or comes with armour take a magic shield even though he can't take a mundane one?

And if you have a one use magic shield or someone uses an ability that causes it to lose its power will it become mundane and therefore allow you parry?

MyNameDidntFit
06-04-2014, 05:13
1) Yes. Any mundane armour allows you to take magic shields as they are simply categorised as Magic Armour.

2) Depends on the effect. Most (all?) such effects will state either "is destroyed" or "counts as a mundane item of its type". In the former, your shield would be gone*; but in the latter, yes, you'd have a mundane shield that allowed Parry Saves assuming you were armed with only a Hand Weapon.

*a weapon would "go back to" being a Hand Weapon as a model always has a Hand Weapon.

Tae
06-04-2014, 09:27
1. The general rule is yes, however there are some exceptions -such as the Wood Elf BSB who may never have a shield.

Invincible Sword Goddess
06-04-2014, 19:19
1. The general rule is yes, however there are some exceptions -such as the Wood Elf BSB who may never have a shield.

Note that the WE and Bretonnians have a limitation on shields for their BSBs because they are sixth edition books and the sixth edition BRB states that a battle standard cannot be used alongside any other equipment and GW doesn't like updating old rules. Many gaming groups won't enforce this rule, I know mine doesn't, and I have seen several major tournament rules packets that say this rule is not to be enforced.

Artinam
06-04-2014, 19:51
The Bretonnian BSB can use magical shields, the Wood Elf BSB cannot because their FAQ makes an exception.

bigbiggles
07-04-2014, 06:35
Poor wood elves

Imperator64
09-04-2014, 02:10
Does your second question refer to the charmed shield (discount first hit) ? If so then the answer is no. You do not get parry from it after its effect has been used becsuse it is still a magic shield. This will be true in any similar case.

Tarsus
09-04-2014, 06:52
Thanks for the answers, I guessed right on the one use thing.

The character I'm thinking about for the first question is the chaos dwarf lord. He comes with that chaos dwarf armour but has no option to take a mundane shield. The problem is his armour is similar to the chaos one where it specifically says wizards can wear it without penalty so the unit entry is giving mixed messages.

Mr_Rose
09-04-2014, 09:50
Thanks for the answers, I guessed right on the one use thing.

The character I'm thinking about for the first question is the chaos dwarf lord. He comes with that chaos dwarf armour but has no option to take a mundane shield. The problem is his armour is similar to the chaos one where it specifically says wizards can wear it without penalty so the unit entry is giving mixed messages.

A wizard with armour can take a magic shield if he wants, without restriction. And vice versa; see the ogre shaman entry and FAQ.
That line in the chaos dwarf list is a hangover from previous editions that said casters with armour couldn't cast without a special rule. There is no such rule in the current edition though, as they realised that all they had to do was to simply not give casters the option of taking armours if they didn't want armoured casters in a particular list.

laribold
10-04-2014, 09:30
In a similar vein, does having a magic shield (and no magic weapon) preclude you from using a mundane Great Weapon/Halberd in combat?

Does the 'I'm using that one' rule (or whatever it is called) apply only to magic weapons and therefore the 'special weapon' rule takes precedence over the use of a magic shield?

theunwantedbeing
10-04-2014, 10:49
In a similar vein, does having a magic shield (and no magic weapon) preclude you from using a mundane Great Weapon/Halberd in combat?

Does the 'I'm using that one' rule (or whatever it is called) apply only to magic weapons and therefore the 'special weapon' rule takes precedence over the use of a magic shield?

You aren't forced to use a magical shield if you have it.
That rule only applies to magical close combat weapons.

Obviously you can't use the magical sheild while using your great weapon/halberd.