PDA

View Full Version : Army idea (curious regarding views of more experienced WH40K gamers)

Wakerofgods
08-04-2014, 19:07
I'm currently putting together my first WH40K army (Tau) and I have been thinking of some allies to go with them. I want to lay my ideas out here and see what you guys think. Please point out any problems or share your opinions on the idea. If I'm making heinous fluff violations or in anyway creating something that would make you cringe when I lay it down on the tabletop I'd like to know about it!

The main army will be Tau and the allies I want to put with them are Space Marines.

Fluff:
A contingent from the T'au sept led by a small group of Ethereal who have setup a forward station right at the edge of the Tau Empire. This forward station takes the form of a sizeable battle station nestled in an asteroid belt near an ex-Imperial world. This forward station is host to a large contingent of Earth Castle scientists and engineers selected for their talent and then isolated to ensure the secrecy of the projects undertaken. The station is led by a high ranking Ethereal with some serious ambitions and some of his followers in the Ethereal caste. The primary manpower for the forward station is fire warriors chosen primarily for their families longstanding and loyal service to the stringent demands of the Greater Good.

The station is essentially an 'area 52' for the Tau where this influential Ethereal has setup a quasi-secret lab to conduct experiments that the greater body-politic of the Tau don't need to hear about unless they are successful. The lab has access to some serious resources and has a significant sway over the surrounding regions (with the nearby Gue'vesa worlds administered by individuals with ties to those leading this Lab).

One of the most ambitious, and successful, projects currently being undertaken in this station is the genetic manipulation of the Gue'vesa. While engineering the Tau themselves was currently politically undesirable (don't mess with the caste!) and technologically difficult the Humans were a different story. After capturing Space Marines and studying their geneseed the top Earth Caste scientists have managed to do some reverse-engineering and begun seeing positive results in Human subjects. While strength and stamina have been improved some additional elements from the Tau physiology have been spliced into the mix as well - to ensure cooperation with the Ethereals. The Ethereals are trying to create Space Marines of their own who will be obedient to their rule and the cause of the Greater Good.

Product testing is now underway and early batches, selected from the most loyal of the Gue'vesa recruited from birth for the role, are undergoing field trials.

Main army:
For the main force I would be using Tau from the farsight enclave supplement. I picture this force as having access to some serious resources and being the most loyal of the fire warriors: the increased access to crisis suits and the compulsory bonding knife fit this perfectly. I also see this force as valuing its secrecy and being very careful about the fights it gets involved in: for this reason the ability to fill my elite choices with stealth suits and still access crisis suits is moving me towards the farsight enclave supplement.

I would probably be looking at an army make up like this:
HQ: commander (Ethereal comes in at larger games to represent forces from the station being deployed for matters more serious than a feild test - say the defence of a local world, capturing new subjects required for experimentation, or to prevent the Imperial Inquisition from finding out what's going on and bringing down the holy wrath of a trillion zealots on their heads).
Elite: Stealth squads (I picture the riptides as being too big and obvious for most of this armies missions - but again, something deployed when a serious fight is at hand and stealth is a secondary concern)
Troops: Crisis suits, Fire Warriors with devilfish. In a big game where the Ethereal is pulling in allies from everywhere I could see Kroot coming in - but overall I think they wouldn't fit (the fact that these battles are taking place at all isn't something the command wants as common knowledge).
Fast attack: Pretty much everything from this category fits and I will sample at leisure. Pathfinders seem to be a 1+ given the theme.
Heavy support: Sniper squads look likely, the broadsides perhaps a little slow - but not completely out of the question, overall I think everything here could work.

Allied army:
I'm thinking standard space marines, primarily (or even only) using tactical squads. Just some basic space marines representing the brand new ultra-loyal ultra-tough 'Ultra Gue'vesa'.

Colour scheme and models:
Straight T'au colours - from the box. Already got my first 20 fire warriors done:

Models for the Tau would be standard WH40k. However, for the Gue'vesa I want something quite different. I want the Tau's take on imperial kit and I'm thinking of using these models:

I think with the same colour scheme as my Tau they would look just right - a different race with similar, but not identical, tech. Essentially the Tau have, like with the Kroot, used what the Gue'vesa had but this time with a significantly higher 'Tauification'. I also like the 'energy blades' on the end of these models fists - the Tau's fresh take on what might be useful for melee-capable troops.

Below is another army I'd like to do as an enemy of this army:
Possible future fluff developments:
I'd like to look into the idea of having some experiments in conjunction with the Eldar. Perhaps an Eldar seeking a refuge from Slannesh by creating a 'warp pocket' to hide their souls in (like the soul gems 2.0 - messing with the immaterium)... but instead of finding a safe 'frequency' they find something slightly closer to where the 'shadow in the warp' resides and manage to create the means to control a small Tyranid swarm.
Except something goes wrong, the Eldar is killed and his soulgem destroyed - his soul isn't aten by Slannesh and instead goes to this 'warp-pocket' as intended by his earlier experiements. He ends up in this new pocket acting as a 'hive mind' for the small swarm of Tyranids and ends up as a quasi-chaos-tyranid-hive-mind-eldar being rampaging about with a small tyranid swarm and some chaos powers.

Picture a daemon prince leading a swarm of tyranids and a few daemons (perhaps even a few chaos marines who have been snagged). No one likes him and everyone is his enemy - but the sheer uniqueness of his position gives him a few advantages of his own. Not a legal army, but one I think my mates would let me deploy against them occasionally.

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback!

Menthak
08-04-2014, 21:01
What rules do you presume to use for those Gue'Vesa models?

Charistoph
08-04-2014, 22:16
What rules do you presume to use for those Gue'Vesa models?

He mentioned Space Marines at the beginning.

Though, I'd go with the Chaos Marines codex, personally, as Tau shouldn't know how to install ATSNKF in a human's psyche, the Marks can be classed as experimental peaks, and their Marine vehicles aren't as exotic. Toss in a Fabius clone, and you have an even tighter fluff piece in models.

Model-wise, they look cool, but since they aren't GW models, some locations may ask you not to play with them there. So be aware.

Wakerofgods
09-04-2014, 04:54
He mentioned Space Marines at the beginning.

Though, I'd go with the Chaos Marines codex, personally, as Tau shouldn't know how to install ATSNKF in a human's psyche, the Marks can be classed as experimental peaks, and their Marine vehicles aren't as exotic. Toss in a Fabius clone, and you have an even tighter fluff piece in models.

Model-wise, they look cool, but since they aren't GW models, some locations may ask you not to play with them there. So be aware.

Good idea with the chaos marines! Yea, the non-GW models might be an issue in some places (although no GW stores near me).

Perhaps mark of slannesh because the models look faster; the others probably don't fit because they don't look more vicious or tougher. However, the company does sell some of those models with big riot sheilds and I could use them as nurgle.

Although on the ATSNKF front I was liking the idea of that - I thought it would represent the 'increased compliancy' that the Ethereals were making a priority to instil into their creations.

fairy drowner
16-04-2014, 07:59
It's totally epic what you're doing! How you've linked all the fluff in with the models is just pure awesomeness it is cool to see people making backgrounds for their armies and really thinking what models to use to convey idea's and themes through an army. i'd be over the moon to play you. Keep up the good work. :)

fairy drowner
16-04-2014, 08:02
p.s the militarium tempestus you might be able to use as normal non fire warrior troops/ your ally models as they look alot like space marines and to me look sort of stealthy.

aberrant_unc
16-04-2014, 12:28
I think it is a great idea. If you converted the models with some gw bits, like tau accessories or using pieces here and there from other gw kits you might have a better chance at a GW store playable force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

infamousme
23-04-2014, 21:37
Honestly this is the best reason i have seen to have space marines and tau in the same force... fluff wise anyway.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2