PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy list Builder?

misomiso
09-04-2014, 15:52
I was wondering what army building software people use, and if there is a 'free' one on the internet thats available?

Im thinking of something like forwardkommander.com, which is really good for building warmachine lists and is completely free.

Thanks

SSquirrel
09-04-2014, 17:40
Battle scribe is available free w extra functionality if purchased. Army builder has a limited demo which is free. Both are also
Available on iOS and I assume android as well

lowlylowlycook
11-04-2014, 21:30
Yeah, Battlescribe has an Android ap.

Alltaken
11-04-2014, 21:39
I would recommend the scribe over army builder, I find it more confortable to use, no rules along with it though

From my servoskull

Wicksy
12-04-2014, 16:57
Another vote for battlescribe. I love Army Builder and i think how it prints lists out is excellent. Its just too damned expensive for my liking and you have to renew the sub every year rather than a flat payment. Battlescribe is free and pretty damned nice to use. I'll have to slap it on my pc. I must admit i thought it was smart phones only :P

SSquirrel
12-04-2014, 23:58
Actually no renewing sub on army builder anymore since something like August I believe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bronhoms
13-04-2014, 13:49
I have battlescribe, but it doesn't have all the models and the point costs are wrong.. At least for WOC, even though it says 8ed...

Sendt fra min Nexus 7 med Tapatalk

red_zebra_ve
16-04-2014, 23:17
Quartermaster on iPad.

ZT Strike
17-04-2014, 01:38
Army Builder by lone Wolf

Metacarpi
17-04-2014, 09:23
I use this revolutionary new bit of software called "pen and paper"

Ograr
17-04-2014, 09:38
I built myself an Excel sheet which neatly calculates and adds everything, then prints it out in a v. readable format.
Considering my handwriting leaves pen and paper only an option if I want to spend half the battle decyphering my ridiculous scrawls and all army builders I've tried have been either out of date or ridiculously unpractical, I vastly prefer Excel.

Malagor
17-04-2014, 09:50
Army builder here.
Find it easy to use and like that it has the rules along with it.

Ossirian
18-04-2014, 07:28
Having tried most of the options, I used quartermaster app. It's not free but it looks fabulous, is updated and correct. Battlescribe comes a close second, although not incorrect vastly, I found the data files to be incomplete and hard to find. Also the app often has errors on update.
Quartermaster seems flawless to me to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urgat
18-04-2014, 07:50
Checked Quartermaster; Iphone only, for those who wonder. No android, no PC.

I built myself an Excel sheet which neatly calculates and adds everything, then prints it out in a v. readable format.
Considering my handwriting leaves pen and paper only an option if I want to spend half the battle decyphering my ridiculous scrawls and all army builders I've tried have been either out of date or ridiculously unpractical, I vastly prefer Excel.

If your excel sheet got weapon options, magic items and stuff taken into account, I'm not too adverse to the idea that you would want to send it to me, you know, for appraisal :p

Malagor
18-04-2014, 11:29
As someone who uses Quartermaster as well if needed, it's not flawless.
I had to use it while I waited for the dwarf update for AB to be released and made a list and then when dwarfs was released for AB I copied what I thought my list was and noticed tha the points were off.
I went back and copied exactly what I had used in Quartermaster into AB and noticed that it was a illegal list that I had made. Think it was that I had given the BSB runes on his weapon even when he had a runic standard.
Quartermaster doesn't know what you can and can't do which is quite important for an app to be able to do. And it's not always updated, the actual app is updated but not the templates that it use.

red_zebra_ve
18-04-2014, 16:41
Quartermaster does not check the legality of the army: the same Magic item in 2 places, less than 25% core, etc. I use my excel spreadsheet for that. Also there are some errors in the army's datas, easily corrected.
But it is great for quickly making an army, changing or removing troops and items.

Lord Dan
18-04-2014, 17:27
The free version of Army Builder, which has full program functionality other than the fact that you can only make armies with 3 units at a time. Use this and an excel document to transcribe basic info into, which also gives you the ability to make armies for books you don't have.

SSquirrel
18-04-2014, 19:24
Malagor, the fact that Battlescribe doesn't validate things like that annoys me as well, but given the price gap between BS and AB, it works well for me. Plus i have it on my iPhone, iPad and Mac

Malagor
18-04-2014, 20:10
Well not saying that they are bad(even tho I really don't like battlescribe), they are still not "flawless", not even AB is flawless.
The day AB ends up on IOS or android is the day Quartermaster bites the dust IMO tho. Guess I'm just lazy and like that I don't have to worry about checking the rules :p

Lorcryst
18-04-2014, 21:18
I use my old version of Army Builder 2.2c, bought years ago when you only had to buy the program once and not pay yearly fees ... and best of all : it is maintained by a great guy (Arromanche) that puts updates out less than a week after an army book has been released, AND does a very quick correction in the rare case a bug is found by the very nice and dedicated users.

Here's the link to his message board with all the latest news : Army Builder 2.2 (http://ab22fantasy.freeforums.org/index.php)

Too bad the 40K website for 2.2c is not so well maintained, but I've read that the guy who does the 40K files for 2.2c also does them for AB3 AND is currently updating all the Imperial Armour from ForgeWorld, on top of a really busy Real Life ...

I might be able to find a way to provide the installation files for AB2.2c as well as a nifty little thing to "unlock" it ... please PM me if interested.

Malagor
18-04-2014, 21:32
AB is the same now, you only pay once, they removed the yearly subscription a few months ago.