PDA

View Full Version : Size Comparison - Decimator v Soul Grinder

Valaskjalf1414
09-04-2014, 21:31
Hey guys

Just a quick question on a possible "counts-as" I want to use for my allied detachment in my CSM army. Bought a Decimator a while ago and Ive had mixed success...in the end it just feels too expensive. I hear a lot of good things about the Soul Grinder and thought it could form part of my allies - just dont know what the size of the Grinder is in comparison....(dont play tourneys and none of my friends play Daemons)

I dont want to NOT use the Decimator as it's a gorgeous model...but will it be a viable stand in for a Grinder or are the sizes totally off?

Thanks!

Shiodome
10-04-2014, 01:02
grinder is about 3x wider and 50% taller.

Sanai
10-04-2014, 04:02
Probably better to use it as a slightly oversized Helbrute or Daemon Prince.

Dr.Clock
10-04-2014, 09:06
Consider a Contemptor as well, if you favour some CSM allies.

Forgefiend or Maulerfied could also work, depending on load out.

I hear what you're saying about the Decimator... I really like its rules, but it DOES cost a pretty penny. I think you can make it work though... you just need to make sure that there are plenty of OTHER armoured units hanging around. I think it only really come into its own in larger games, where its Elites designation means you can shoehorn in even more Walkers after you've got maybe a couple 'Grinders and a Cannon of Khorne...

Other potential uses I could see would be as the Helbrute in the formation that allows it to take cover from and 'inspire' cultists, or as the 'unit leader' in the one that has 5 'brutes : 0

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Valaskjalf1414
10-04-2014, 12:27
Consider a Contemptor as well, if you favour some CSM allies.

Forgefiend or Maulerfied could also work, depending on load out.

I hear what you're saying about the Decimator... I really like its rules, but it DOES cost a pretty penny. I think you can make it work though... you just need to make sure that there are plenty of OTHER armoured units hanging around. I think it only really come into its own in larger games, where its Elites designation means you can shoehorn in even more Walkers after you've got maybe a couple 'Grinders and a Cannon of Khorne...

Other potential uses I could see would be as the Helbrute in the formation that allows it to take cover from and 'inspire' cultists, or as the 'unit leader' in the one that has 5 'brutes : 0

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Cool thanks for the advice. I suppose it could be a good "chaosy" version of the contemptor and the good thing is, it has a similar load-out rules-wise (if I remember correctly) and hopefully I can same a bit of points as well.

I hear what you're saying about the helbrute, but to be honest the model is just too rad for it to count as a 105pt helbrute :P Will check out the rules for the contemptor tonight and check how the points stack up. Thanks!

Sanai
10-04-2014, 12:29
105pt

Little known fact about the Helbrute- the Games Workshop FAQ for Codex: CSM dropped its points down to 100.

*colorful rainbow* the more you know!

Valaskjalf1414
10-04-2014, 12:31
Little known fact about the Helbrute- the Games Workshop FAQ for Codex: CSM dropped its points down to 100.

*colorful rainbow* the more you know!

Yeah thats correct I totally forgor about that...I have 3 helbrutes but run them as spawn lol Thats how much I dont like them.

Sanai
10-04-2014, 12:34
Have you considered trying out the dataslate rules for Helbrutes? It lets you run 3 deep-striking Helbrutes with It Will Not Die that roll on the crazed table every turn, or a Helbrute that uses Cultists as cover and gives said Cultists Rage, or even a unit of 5 Helbrutes lead by a Helbrute that benefits from an invuln save, look out sir and champions of chaos.

totgeboren
10-04-2014, 14:47
Cool thanks for the advice. I suppose it could be a good "chaosy" version of the contemptor and the good thing is, it has a similar load-out rules-wise (if I remember correctly) and hopefully I can same a bit of points as well.

I hear what you're saying about the helbrute, but to be honest the model is just too rad for it to count as a 105pt helbrute :P Will check out the rules for the contemptor tonight and check how the points stack up. Thanks!

Prepare to be disappointed, since they cost about the same. I have tried both (a 240 pts Contemptor and a 240 pts Decimator), and they are both overcosted (though the Decimator by a lot more than the Contemptor). The best way of using the Decimator I have come across so far is just having it plain and keeping it in reserve. Deep Strike with two heavy flamers can totally gut most infantry units, especially if they have a 4+ or worse save. It costs too much to use for shooting, because of its BS. My 240 pts version has a heavy conversion beamer, but because of the move-or-fire restriction most of the time it's just an extra-expensive-and-worse-Defiler, which is already a much worse Soulgrinder.

Sorry, but yeah, it is severely overcosted. They are getting new rules in the next IA book though, but I doubt FW will change it by much. At most a points drop of 10 pts or something, though in it's last rules, it became even more expensive than what it was before! :o

Valaskjalf1414
10-04-2014, 16:20
Prepare to be disappointed, since they cost about the same. I have tried both (a 240 pts Contemptor and a 240 pts Decimator), and they are both overcosted (though the Decimator by a lot more than the Contemptor). The best way of using the Decimator I have come across so far is just having it plain and keeping it in reserve. Deep Strike with two heavy flamers can totally gut most infantry units, especially if they have a 4+ or worse save. It costs too much to use for shooting, because of its BS. My 240 pts version has a heavy conversion beamer, but because of the move-or-fire restriction most of the time it's just an extra-expensive-and-worse-Defiler, which is already a much worse Soulgrinder.

Sorry, but yeah, it is severely overcosted. They are getting new rules in the next IA book though, but I doubt FW will change it by much. At most a points drop of 10 pts or something, though in it's last rules, it became even more expensive than what it was before! :o

Yeap so disappointing as it must be my favorite chaos model. I havent run them with dual siege claws/heavy flamers so maybe I should give it a go and see what it does. If only it had been a MC then the cost might have made sense...I mean hell, if riptide can count as a MC then sure as heck the decimator should too