PDA

View Full Version : 40k Sound Generator

TransientJay
10-04-2014, 14:49
Hi all,

Im interested in making a soundscape generator for 40k. I've created a very rough general user interface to give an idea of what it could include and would really appreciate any feedback on what you think. Have I got the categories right? Have I included too much, or not enough..? Also, I'm thinking I could use sensors to trigger the sounds, but maybe buttons on the battlefield as motion sensors wouldn't really fit in with the physicality of the game. I could just as easily have each sound attached to a computer keyboard though. Any thoughts on triggers..? Any help would be very much appreciated, I want to make something really cool.

LegioDestructor
10-04-2014, 15:12
This is a really cool idea, battlefield sounds would definitely add another layer of depth and realism to a game.

Sensors on the table... I think that's going way too deep and would be far too complicated. Just buttons. I'm thinking an interface no bigger than a 7" tablet with a layout pretty much as your picture displays; just a button for each effect is what I'd do.

What is definitely missing though, are explosions. For when vehicles are destroyed or explode, artillery bombardments, Destroyer weapons, and orbital strikes. Stuff like that. Explosions!

Have one of the "vehicles" be a Flyer / Skimmer / Anti-Grav, as the Tau, Eldar, and Necron races will sound very different to clanking Imperial and Ork vehicles.

Also, a "special weapon" noise... for things like Meltaguns, Conversion Beamers, Plasma Guns, and the like. These are all weird energy weapons and would have, IMO, associated weird sounds. Like Dr Who's "screwdriver", Saints Row IV's Dubstep Gun, and other strange electro-noises. Maybe add Heavy Weapons to the mix, as a vehicle-mounted Projectile or Laser weapon wouldn't sound the same as an infantry squad firing Projectile or Laser weapons. Dakka-Pew-pew vs FREEM-KERBOOM!

Maybe change Side 1 and Side 2 to Imperial and Xenos, having a "more futuristic" noise for the Xenos gear. Whatever you do this is a great idea and would make for some great games. Keep us updated!

Sir Didymus
11-04-2014, 05:49
Your list definite is lacking in the metal department - especially old school Boltthrower would be appropriate :)

Besides that, I find your idea enthusiastic geeky charming, but I'd find the noises even more annoying than "pew-pew" noises - if on the other hand, you made a package of 40K'ish noises to be used as ring tones and stuff on my phone, I might even pay a buck or two for the sheer geektastic experience - that would be an easy way for people to make annoying noises at the battlefield as added "bonus" :p

TransientJay
11-04-2014, 16:21
Thanks for the great input LegioDestructor. Of course, like anything in this world there will be some who like and some who don't like. But I think the idea has potential so I'm going to explore it.

I think you are right about sensors, just thought I'd put the idea out there in case it spurred further ideas.. we shall see!

At the moment my programming skills will probably be restricted to a laptop app but I think it's a good place to start and if people like it I can look at creating a tablet app. I'm thinking about making a usb button box. Each side will have one that will trail to a central laptop which runs the software. Also, there is the possibility of making these button boxes wireless although this will jump the cost up a fair bit.

I can't believe I forgot about explosions!!! Must be the inner pacifist in me…. So yeah, a range of explosions depending on the weapon.

For the different races, I'm thinking the main screen could have a collection of icons representing the races, and when clicked on the relevant sound set pops up and is loaded.

I've got a lot on at the moment so it may take a while to come to fruition but would you be interested in being a guinea pig…? Sending hardware outside the UK might be too costly though so your location could be important!

LegioDestructor
11-04-2014, 17:44
Oh apps and usb boxes. I'm an old man so when I think of basement engineering I think of solder and circuit boards. What a crazy future we live in.

If you are serious about this, I see some issues straight away:
Laptop. People will not lug this around in an age of i5's and S4's to play an audio application. It is a good place to start but I think in the end it will have to be mobile devices. There are already thousands of sound effect apps out there but lumping relevant ones together with a convenient interface could get attention.

Intellectual Property. GW seems to have Magnus' Cyclopean Eye constantly watching all forms of communication and utterly destroying all who dare use their name. So it would have to be called "the battlefield sound app" or something. Or go legit, do a full-blown beta version with 40k all over it, and ask GW for permission ...[cue pity laughter]?

Races. I honestly think you'll just run out of unique sounds, and the IP will restrict you from racial references. Playing with them in a mixer would be labourious. How does a Vyper sound compared to a Piranha? What will a Necron "Charge!" sound like? Even with Human vs Xenos there are a lot of sounds to generate. Don't let me blunt your creativity, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Location. I'm on the other side of the pond, but I'll be glad to help.

Pssyche
11-04-2014, 21:27
Just in case anybody is interested, on Android Google Play Store there is a free App called Eldar Soundboard.
It is a collection of samples taken from the Dawn of War RTS Games.
The samples are grouped into collections for particular Units.
e.g. Clicking Fire Dragons accesses all of their samples.
There is also the musical soundtrack on there, too.
Most atmospheric.

There are Apps for the other Factions, too.

Although if I were a Tau player and kept playing "You can't kill what you can't see..." every time my Riptide passed a Cover Save, I think I'd expect a punch in the nose...

TransientJay
16-04-2014, 16:46
Thanks for the input once again!

Yes, laptops are cumbersome these days so def has to be a tablet app (laptops cumbersome?? yes, weird time we live in!)

I've seen a few other sound effects app but they all seem to be rather cheesy and cheap-sounding. Yeah, as IP goes there'll be plenty of 'Calvin Klane'-type names ;)

And devils advocate is most welcome, I think there is a good idea in there, its just a case of refining things and overcoming problems...

Oh apps and usb boxes. I'm an old man so when I think of basement engineering I think of solder and circuit boards. What a crazy future we live in.

If you are serious about this, I see some issues straight away:
Laptop. People will not lug this around in an age of i5's and S4's to play an audio application. It is a good place to start but I think in the end it will have to be mobile devices. There are already thousands of sound effect apps out there but lumping relevant ones together with a convenient interface could get attention.

Intellectual Property. GW seems to have Magnus' Cyclopean Eye constantly watching all forms of communication and utterly destroying all who dare use their name. So it would have to be called "the battlefield sound app" or something. Or go legit, do a full-blown beta version with 40k all over it, and ask GW for permission ...[cue pity laughter]?

Races. I honestly think you'll just run out of unique sounds, and the IP will restrict you from racial references. Playing with them in a mixer would be labourious. How does a Vyper sound compared to a Piranha? What will a Necron "Charge!" sound like? Even with Human vs Xenos there are a lot of sounds to generate. Don't let me blunt your creativity, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Location. I'm on the other side of the pond, but I'll be glad to help.