PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Armour Books

McFace
11-04-2014, 13:52
So how exactly do these work? Just like any other codex (assuming the local meta allows Forge World stuff)?

Do they change FoC to allow things like IG Armored Companies and the like or is it just supplemental units?

Ironbone
11-04-2014, 14:08
Well, it's kinda multi-layerd issue. IA units can be both parts of already established armies, or on some ocassions, be part of orginal FW army lists. Most FW armies are now very similar to rest of 6th de codicies, inclouding abilty to ally with them( there is even pdf file on FW webside about this ).

Theocracity
11-04-2014, 14:14
Some units I the books have a note stating they can be taken in a regular codex army (and what slot they occupy), while others are grouped together into complete army lists.

Mauler
11-04-2014, 14:17
They work a bit like a campaign book crossed with a codex. The first section is all background leading up to and including the event itself along with illustrations, technical schematics, data transcripts & the like. The following sections are detailing the belligerants involved and the units deployed, background, pictures, unit rules & options, more like you'd expect to see in a 40k codex but in much finer detail. There's one section for every force involved so for instance IA11/Mymeara has sections for the Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, Craftworld Eldar, Eldar Corsairs & the Titans deployed by each side. Each unit follows the usual FOC labelling and are clearly marked as 40k or Apoc and which FOC they take up when fielded by which forces. Following the units & wargear sections is the campaign itself with the usual scenarios, deployment changes, points values, victory conditions & special rules. Lastly are Apoc formation dataslates.

Personally I love them to bits, they offer far more to the hobbyist than a normal codex and are often over twice the size; IA11 weighs in at 221 full colour pages.

Sanai
11-04-2014, 14:51
(assuming the local meta allows Forge World stuff)?

The local meta can no more deny use of Forge World stuff than they can deny use of specific regular codices, as long as said Forge World stuff is stamped for 40k.

Mauler
11-04-2014, 15:11
The local meta can no more deny use of Forge World stuff than they can deny use of specific regular codices, as long as said Forge World stuff is stamped for 40k.

This. FW is perfectly legit.

McFace
11-04-2014, 16:31
Okay.

For some reason I was under the impression that they could still do that. Guess times have changed!

Would the 2nd edition of IA Volume 1 be a good place to start?

Camman1984
11-04-2014, 16:37
Depends what army you field. Other than the badab books they are all pretty much stand alone books. IA1 2e for guard, IA2 2e for marines, IA3 2e for tau, i think after that they are all either in need of or have received FW pdf updates. The first 6th ed one is the necron fall of orpheus book (ia12 iirc) with crons, minotaurs and krieg in it.

Camman1984
11-04-2014, 16:46
I would recommend being careful you check you have the most up to date rules before purchasing as FW units change a lot and power can swing drastically. For example the warp hunter in IA11 is a crazy killing machine that was universally feared, but the newer imperial armour apocalyse 2013 book has it very toned down and in a different role as a tank.

McFace
11-04-2014, 16:54
Depends what army you field. Other than the badab books they are all pretty much stand alone books. IA1 2e for guard, IA2 2e for marines, IA3 2e for tau, i think after that they are all either in need of or have received FW pdf updates. The first 6th ed one is the necron fall of orpheus book (ia12 iirc) with crons, minotaurs and krieg in it.

Thanks for the info! I was more focusing on Guard so I will probably just stick to IA1 2e for now.

I would recommend being careful you check you have the most up to date rules before purchasing as FW units change a lot and power can swing drastically. For example the warp hunter in IA11 is a crazy killing machine that was universally feared, but the newer imperial armour apocalyse 2013 book has it very toned down and in a different role as a tank.

I'll keep that in mind!

Ironbone
11-04-2014, 18:26
Thanks for the info! I was more focusing on Guard so I will probably just stick to IA1 2e for now.
Good you can affor it :p. But with new IG comming just right now, it's likely that FW will adjust rules to new codex, either via pdf on their webside or by realesing new book.

McFace
11-04-2014, 19:27
Good you can affor it :p. But with new IG comming just right now, it's likely that FW will adjust rules to new codex, either via pdf on their webside or by realesing new book.

I had thought of that but I'm thinking just a PDF since the second edition is still pretty new.

Navar
11-04-2014, 21:03
I had thought of that but I'm thinking just a PDF since the second edition is still pretty new.

Yea, I would bet that the IA1 Vol 2 was written with the contents of AM well known. I am not even sure there will be much to update.