PDA

View Full Version : Alternative 40k Ork models

REGERIK
11-04-2014, 15:23
Looking to start an Ork army but wanted miniatures that look mean, brutal, and not comical like workshops. Anyone know of any alternatives?
Ideally looking for a Pale Orc/Uruk hai type thing and considering trying to convert the Lord of the Rings models, but wanted to see if anyone had seen anything that might fit the bill.

Theocracity
11-04-2014, 15:28
I'm not sure of a good direction to point you in - if anything the alternate bits I know of are more comical - but I would be careful about using LOTR models. They're in a different scale than 40K so might look a bit weedy.

Edit: Though actually, have you looked at the Savage Orcs in fantasy? They're a bit stylized but look a lot fiercer than regular orcs / orks.

Greyhound
12-04-2014, 04:28
Do you have any illustration which would portray what you are looking for?

Darnok
12-04-2014, 07:17
The LotR models are tiny in comparison to pretty much anything from the 40K range - even Gretchin would look beefy next to the Uruks. Sadly I don't know about a range of "less comical" sci-fi Orks. Other ranges (conversion sets, Mantic) are even more comical, as mentioned already.

Disposable Hero
12-04-2014, 07:25
http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com

Just stick guns on them.

Voss
12-04-2014, 07:52
Yrgh. I flinch every time I see those weird snap-jaw heads. Just terrible.

Can't even tell if 40k guns would even fit in the with scale used by those, either.

REGERIK
12-04-2014, 13:16
Thanks all for the replies. Lord of the rings models are a no go, as you rightly point out they are a bit diminutive in stature.

This is the look I would like. Thinking Catachan models with replacement heads of some description.

Senechal
12-04-2014, 14:17
Look into Kromlech, Spellcrow and MaxMini. They all sell though eBay and some of them on their websites. Spellcrow's Orc Doc is absolutely phenomenal.

Darnok
12-04-2014, 16:04

This is the look I would like. Thinking Catachan models with replacement heads of some description.

Have you thought about the WoC barbarians? They are muskular, barbaric, and less uniform than the Catachans.

Sanai
12-04-2014, 16:22
WoC Marauders as Darnok says would be better than Catachans- remember that orks are supposed to be bigger and more muscular than ordinary humans. The Catachans just don't seem quite muscular and huge enough, the Marauders might get you over the size mark a bit better.

Or, you can consider using normal Orks and just paint them in less bright tones? A different paintjob can really change the mood and look of a model- I feel that a lot of the comical in 40k Orks does come from the bright greens, reds and yellows everyone paints them in. Darker, more washed out tones would make them look a lot grittier and more serious.

Thriller
12-04-2014, 18:25
Orc miniatures that look mean and brutal? The only ones that come to mind are from the Shieldwolf range.

gitburna
13-04-2014, 00:58
Sanai has a good point and I'd echo it. The paint scheme can make a lot of difference. I loathed the 2nd edition orks and didn't much care for gorkamorka either, but Andy Chambers bleak and brutal orks really sealed the deal for me back in the day. There's a decent enough selection of parts in an ork kit to allow you to pick and choose the better heads as some of the additions to the boys sprue from its last update weren't as good as the 98/99 originals. You can also delve into the elements of the fantasy range too...some of the helmeted heads have echos of the uruk hai and orcs.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk

gitburna
13-04-2014, 01:02
In case you've never seen andy's orks, they were v dark green like the dark angels, and no real colour scheme, mostly just a few white or red tribal markings. Armour plates etc were painted very dark too, like it was covered in soot.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk