PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Khorne DP work?

jjakaalbinoboy
14-04-2014, 11:54
I'm aware the go-to DP is a Nurgle DP but I play a semi-casual (the kind of semi-casual where you still kinda want to beat your opponent for bragging rights), themed Khorne WoC army and I really want to find a way to make a Khorne DP work.

So how would I do this as effectively as I possibly can?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking;
- MoK, Chaos Armour and Flight
- Scaled Skin, Soul Feeder, Flaming Breath
- Sword of Swift Slaying

Obviously I'm aware how painfully UP this guy is in comparison to the good old Nurgle DP... but I'm on a mission!

Would love to hear your suggestions guys!

Sinsigel
14-04-2014, 12:02
Regardless of marks of chaos, I suggest that you take countermeasure for two things : First cannonball that hits the DP, and flaming attacks.
Searing doom is particularly devastating against 1+ or 2+ armour save DP.
Hence the popular setting that includes Charmed Shield and Dragonbane Gem. Personally, I think Sword of Striking + Charmed Shield + Dragonbane Gem is decent.

Skullcrusher
14-04-2014, 12:06
MoK, chaos armor, daemonic flight, scaled skin, soul feeder, collar of khorne (2+ magic ward > s4 breath weapon), charmed shield, dragonbane gem, sword of striking/the other trickster's shard.

Not as good as nurgle or slaanesh DP, but powerful nonetheless.

yedee
14-04-2014, 12:53
Isn't Collar of Khorne also a talisman? That would make taking it together with Dragonbane Gem impossible. I don't have ABook around though and I would love to be proven wrong on that one!

I'm trying to come up with a playable Khorne mono-god list lately and so far the build Skullcrusher mentioned seems to be best (but I take Dragohelm instead of Charmed Shield and DBG for the reason I mentioned above).

jjakaalbinoboy
14-04-2014, 13:16
Why take countermeasures for flaming attacks?

Skullcrusher
14-04-2014, 13:38
Isn't Collar of Khorne also a talisman? That would make taking it together with Dragonbane Gem impossible. I don't have ABook around though and I would love to be proven wrong on that one!

I'm trying to come up with a playable Khorne mono-god list lately and so far the build Skullcrusher mentioned seems to be best (but I take Dragohelm instead of Charmed Shield and DBG for the reason I mentioned above).
Yeah, that's correct. I don't have AB with me either at the moment, totally forgot that some gifts have magic item types. Oops... :rolleyes:

In that case, I'd keep charmed shield and forget about fire ward. Charmed shield is better option against most ranged threats (cannons, doom divers, bolt throwers, stone throwers, etc.). Only case where 2++ against flaming attacks beats charmed shield is when you play against daemons and their flaming cannons.

Why take countermeasures for flaming attacks?
Some flaming things (DoC skillcannon, burning dwarf cannon, searing doom) have potential to one shot you.

theunwantedbeing
14-04-2014, 14:22
The easy way to make him work is to make a Nurgle Daemon Prince with all the usual trimmings that everyone hates and then swap out the Mark of Nurgle of the Mark of Khorne and remove any magic levels he had plus anything that is Nurgle only.

Done!
Really there are few to no options available to the Daemon Prince regardless of Mark.
Scaly skin and Chaos armour are basically a must have choice, to give him a 2+ armour save
Then you give him the Dragonbane Gem, Sword of Striking and maybe the Charmed Sheild so now he hits on a 2+, has a 2+ ward vs Searing Doom or Flaming cannonballs and will negate the first hit he takes (likely something from some artillery).

Soul Feeder, so if he does take wounds he can get them back in combat (even if you aren't letting it work with thunderstomp, although with no FAQs any more it works).
Maybe give him a breath weapon if you want, it's a handy additional benefit.

If you have your heart set on the Collar of Khorne for that lovely 2+ ward vs magic damage you can always switch the dragonbane gem out for the dragonhelm and drop the charmed sheild.
Gives you the same save as before and lets you shrug off flaming cannonballs and such, you just need to be a bit wary of bolt throwers.

If you're taking the view that the FAQs do't count now then you could give him the Helm of Many Eyes instead of the other stuff to give him re-rolls to hit from ASF and to make his thunderstomp go at his initiative value.

White_13oy
14-04-2014, 16:50
Do thunderstomp just have the asl rule? I aleays thought they just went last, tbus the wording makes them after asl attacks.

Horus38
14-04-2014, 16:56
Do thunderstomp just have the asl rule? I aleays thought they just went last, tbus the wording makes them after asl attacks.

They do have the ASL rule.

theunwantedbeing
14-04-2014, 17:05

Second sentence of the stomp rule is:
A stomp has the Always Strikes Last special rule,

Anyway, I was just pointing out a wierd quirk of the rules if you're playing that the Errata's don't exist now.

jjakaalbinoboy
15-04-2014, 09:56
Think I've settled on:

DP
- MoK, Chaos Armour and Flight
- Scaled Skin, Soul Feeder, Flaming Breath
- Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, "Axe" (Sword) of Striking

yedee
15-04-2014, 10:03
From my experience charmed shield is really easy to deal with, therefore I'd rather have that 2++ against fire and 2++ against magic. Every opponent knows they have to hit your DP with some kind of missle fire or magic to get rid of it before shooting with cannons and such. From my experience Nurgle DP's main vulnerability apart from warmachines is light coven and those S7-8 Banishmen ts, with Collar of Khorne that becomes less of an issue. And the fire protection is really worth it - your DP becomes almost unkillable vs flaming banner unit (that many people use frequently) and most gunlines (which I find are toughest match-ups for this army) have at least one flaming warmachine.

jjakaalbinoboy
15-04-2014, 12:43
I'll try a couple games this way and then try a couple with the CoK instead.

Ramius4
25-04-2014, 01:42
Lots of lube... :shifty: