PDA

View Full Version : 40 games and the time issue?

Kadaan
17-06-2006, 16:23
I dunno about you guys but I have the feeling that every 40k game me and my buddys play tends to get longer and longer. When I started playing back in 3rd edition we usually met at about 9 pm, started playing at 10 pm and a 1500 or 2000 points game didn't last longer than 3 am maximum. Nowadays we can call ourselves lucky if we start to play before midnight. Most games are paused around dawn and finished the next day. That is, if we get to playing at all. For example, last night I had planned to play Necrons at a friend of mine. We ended up playing Xbox, cause at the time we got our army lists ready and the gaming table all set up it had become so late, that there was no point in starting to play. This really bugs me. I haven't had a decent and straight-forward game of 40k for one and a half month now.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience? How long does it take for you to finish a 1500 or 2000 point game?
Any advice on how to stop wasting so much time? I don't wanna destroy a casual game evening/night, but there's gotta be a solution.

Lostanddamned
17-06-2006, 16:45
Have pre written army lists.

lord_blackfang
17-06-2006, 16:51
No idea. In my group, games are in fact becoming faster as we learn more rules by heart and don't have to look them up, and we need less time to think about tactics than we used to. So the average 1500-2000 game went from 3-4 hours to under 2 hours.

We also have our army lists ready in advance, and the host sets up the table before the others even arrive.

When Black Roses Bloom
17-06-2006, 16:57
No idea. In my group, games are in fact becoming faster as we learn more rules by heart and don't have to look them up, and we need less time to think about tactics than we used to. So the average 1500-2000 game went from 3-4 hours to under 2 hours.

We also have our army lists ready in advance, and the host sets up the table before the others even arrive.

Same here. Although my job prevents me from playing every single day, me and the crew use our spare time to just read a few rules, new Codexes, get informed on new tactics and learn weapon's stats by heart. This deffinatelly lowers the time that we use for checking in the books and adds to the fun.

The_Outsider
17-06-2006, 17:03
At my club an average 1500 game takes just over an hour and a half.

So that usually means about 2 games at vets night.

Lt. Co Steel
17-06-2006, 20:06
usually around 3+ hours if its a luesurely game, when playing somewere where there are people waiting for boards, (like at Vet's night) 1-2 hours.

Chem-Dog
17-06-2006, 20:18
No idea. In my group, games are in fact becoming faster as we learn more rules by heart and don't have to look them up,

Same here, we tend not to spend half the time playing video games either, that really makes 40K games last longer than they should :p

All of my regular opponants have jobs so we tend to make the absolute best of our time, we know usually a week in advance when we are playing and where, so we have ample time to prepare army lists and stuff, the host will have the table sorted ready to place terrain.

Play smaller games too ;)

athamas
17-06-2006, 20:44
we usually get 2 games of 2K or under points at vets night [6-10]

so i dont see how you can spend so long, getting started..

XmanPB
18-06-2006, 06:39
I dunno about you guys but I have the feeling that every 40k game me and my buddys play tends to get longer and longer. When I started playing back in 3rd edition we usually met at about 9 pm, started playing at 10 pm and a 1500 or 2000 points game didn't last longer than 3 am maximum. Nowadays we can call ourselves lucky if we start to play before midnight. Most games are paused around dawn and finished the next day. That is, if we get to playing at all. For example, last night I had planned to play Necrons at a friend of mine. We ended up playing Xbox, cause at the time we got our army lists ready and the gaming table all set up it had become so late, that there was no point in starting to play. This really bugs me. I haven't had a decent and straight-forward game of 40k for one and a half month now.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience? How long does it take for you to finish a 1500 or 2000 point game?
Any advice on how to stop wasting so much time? I don't wanna destroy a casual game evening/night, but there's gotta be a solution.

It sounds like you guys are taking super long turns. Afterall, it is only 6 turns.

A standard 2500 point game around here will last about 2 hours or less (slightly more if one player brings guard). The first 3 turns take the longest, and turn 4 usually takes a little shorts, with turn 5 getting shorter, and turn 6 is usually done in a matter or mere minutes.

Even in crazy large games (5000+ points per side, no single side turns often last longer than 30 minutes early on, and later they can go pretty fast as sometimes there are very few models on the table that can weather that kind of firepower.

If you guys are finding the games last longer, work on timing each sides turn. When time is up, the turn is over. Have a tactical plan for your army before hand, and then stick to it. Adapt to your opponent, but don't counter your own game plan. Advancing a tac squad 6" toward a target for 4 turns, then turning them back to help "cover your flank" or whatever & moving them back is generally a bad idea.

Just remember, 6 turns, 2,000 points aside, should take about 2 hours.

Scythe
18-06-2006, 08:36
Our games got shorter over the years, as everybody started to know every rule and stat rather than looking it up. The time spend before/after a game has gone up tough...;)

boogle
18-06-2006, 09:20
dunno how some of you guys play large games so fast, it usually take 3-4 hours to play a 2000 points a side game and always has done

The_Dragon_Rising
18-06-2006, 09:35
Well the way we play in my group we pick a ponit limit and fight to the death LMS. This means that anything over 1500pts usually takes a long time but like many people as we are learning the rules of by hear we are getting faster

Ironhand
18-06-2006, 12:16
Takes my group about 3-4 hours usually to play an 1850 point game. Having the scenery set up and the army lists picked in advance speeds things up considerably.

hallon_apl
18-06-2006, 17:43
I blame "Wow!". :P

Playa
18-06-2006, 19:47
Hey,

How long does it take for you to finish a 1500 or 2000 point game?

That really depends on my opponents' armies and abilities.

Chronic indecision and/ or pickle buckets of dice are factors.

Halftime barbecue sometimes plays a part, too.

Try this little experiment:

Challenge your XBox buddy to a game of 40k in 40 minutes.

If it takes 2hrs to finish a 40/40, it's not the game that's slowing down! :- )

Playa

Crassus
18-06-2006, 20:28
my army lists are always pre written and my games usually last about 4 to 5 hours

ffclubhero
20-06-2006, 00:31
-Prewritten lists always help.
-Know the rules (highlighting odd/much used rules helps)
-Know your Codex
-Have 'cheat sheets' handy (army specific rules, general rules sheet, etc.)
-Eat before the game;)
-Cut Xbox until after 40K, unless, of course, you'd rather Xbox it....

Scythe
21-06-2006, 07:44
-Eat before the game;)

You know that is not nearly enough...:p

damiengore
21-06-2006, 13:41
My friend and I ussually take 3 hours to play a 1700pt game but that's because we yak a lot through out.

In tournaments my games are always under the 2 hour mark, I just don't fool around and I always know what i want to do when it gets to my turn, so I don't waste a lot of time with indecision.

One tourney of 1000pts I played 2 games with my opponent in the time that it took other guys to play one.

Kriegsherr
21-06-2006, 14:13
We use a me-go-you-go turnsystem on squad level so the game tends to take longer... normally 4-5 hours for a 1500 point game ... but the 4 players normally involved and one pal thinking for minutes about tactics for every single squad might add some time to this too.
Annyoing git... stop thinking, start playing ;)

PapaNurgle
21-06-2006, 14:22
1500 points, 1.5 hours to set up terrain, pick a mission, and play.
2000 points, add a half an hour.
2500 points, 2 and 1/4 to 2 and 1/2 and hour.

Can't imagine why 1500 points would take 5 hours to complete, even if you both play horde armies and need to reference the rulebook for everything.

In my experience this version of 40k moves quicker than the more recent 3.5 or 3.0.

Kymar
21-06-2006, 14:26
Fighting or rules and people of overthink their moves are the biggest time wasters. Both problems come from inexperience and such most 2000 pts between seasoned players should only take 3 hours at most.

Oh and the point about pre-made army list is very good one. Also never play without the codex(es) for the armies that are there.