PDA

View Full Version : Hellebron query

SilasOfTheLambs
01-05-2014, 04:40
Do opponents get bonuses to dispel friendly spells cast on Hellebron's unit?

Invincible Sword Goddess
01-05-2014, 08:58
I can't see any other way to read it, but when I tried using it against my opponent he told me that such a reading was clearly against the spirit of the rules and refused to allow me to benefit from the item when dispelling his friendly spells.

I would put it alongside the cauldron of blood allowing rerolls to wound for ranged attacks on the list of things that the DE book seems to allow but we won't know for sure until an FAQ is released.

SilasOfTheLambs
01-05-2014, 18:31
Heh. Sounds like that opponent is kind of a stain. It doesn't seem ambiguous to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bigbiggles
02-05-2014, 03:19
I see the wording, but I can't think of any other situation where GW wants an item you hold to benefit your opponent

Invincible Sword Goddess
02-05-2014, 11:18
I see the wording, but I can't think of any other situation where GW wants an item you hold to benefit your opponent

There are a lot of effects that hit both sides, and flaming weapons can certainly be a detriment if your opponent is immune to fire. I know there are a lot of games where magic resistance is a double edged sword, making you immune to both harmful and beneficial effects, which might have been what Mr. Ward was thinking. We won't know until we see the FAQ, but like all the other nonsense in the DE book I can't imagine a competitive player not going by the wording in the meantime.

SilasOfTheLambs
02-05-2014, 16:04

I can think of several examples where this is the case. The two most obvious that come to mind are the Skaven Felblade and the Warriors of Chaos sword (forget the name) both of which are fairly likely to eventually kill the bearer. We could also talk about the sacrificial dagger that makes you kill your guys, the witchbrew gift that makes your frenzied troopers much harder to control, the ASF hat from the warriors book that makes the wearer stupid, or the silly empire helmet that makes Skaven fear and also hate the bearer.

In actual fact, I love items like this, because it makes people think harder about whether to take them. But however you feel about it, there's plenty of precedent for double-edged swords in all the item categories in the red books and in the army books.