Special
20 Wild Wood Rangers, full command & Banner of eternal flame
5 Wild Riders
8 Wardancers

Rare
Treeman w/ strangle roots
Great Eagle
8 Waywatchers

I'm seriously thinking about ditching the Wardancers for a unit of scouts or a second unit of wild riders, or maybe even warhawks (would have to drop something to fit them in). The captain hangs around with the rangers and ports them around between the abyssal wood created by the acorn. My free wood (venom thicket) sits in my dep zone for my archers and Mage to blessing/prowess around to their hearts content.

Obviously its preferable to keep the EG in the woods where possible too, but they're still a brick even in the open.

Tae
03-05-2014, 22:48
Where, roughly, would you place the acorn foods for the rangers to jump into? As the first thing that ran into my mind was it'll be hard to convince people to come to you if you keep bouncing around all the time.

Indeed the list as a whole seems to suffer a bit from ... castle syndrome. There's not really enough threat from the Mage archers to make most people go flying into your venom thicket, for my mind at least, and the waywatchers will be dealt with as a priority.

I wild definitely agree with looking again at the wardancers, they just don't cut it anymore in this book unfortunately.

However much of this will depend a lot on your opponents. I suspect certain armies will love it whilst others will fall right into its 'trap'. It will be interesting to see how it goes, please give an update if you use it and how successful it was as I'd love to hear it.

Kingrick
04-05-2014, 01:42
I think the list looks interesting, and would also like to here how it does in a few battle reports. Please keep us posted. I've been looking over my book and have a feeling the WE are going to be hard to play and will take me a while until I figure them out. Good luck!

ashe
04-05-2014, 02:18
Make your captain a BSB especialy if you wish to hop around the woods, unlike the Eternal Guard the rangers will need rerolls on their brake tests. I hate to agree with Tae but 32 shots per round are hardly enough to make most armies come after you, in fact armies like dwarves, empire, orcs and goblin and even ogres can outshoot you with what counts as balance lists. You could ether change the list, and add more ranged units, or be ready to fight out of the woods. If you intend to replace the wardancers you should consider adding a unit of sisters they have a nice ward and two useful spells, a lore change might work for you too high magic adds much more utility to your army than any of the other lores.

Kingrick
04-05-2014, 05:48
I would think shadow would work well with a big block of EG

SteveW
04-05-2014, 06:46
I wouldn't go anywhere without 3 units of 5 Sisters of the thorn.

Spiney Norman
04-05-2014, 07:57
I wouldn't go anywhere without 3 units of 5 Sisters of the thorn.

Really? Why? They don't look that good, their spell picks are average at best and while they're probably worth their points they're still a long way from be auto-include, and I can't really imagine fielding more than one unit.

Making the captain a BSB is one option, I'll need to drop something but it shouldn't be impossible.

The point about the acorn, if I'm reading it right, is that you can place your acorn woods anywhere on the table, so having your rangers teleport into the enemy deployment zone on T1 will alleviate the need to force the enemy into your arms.

Any comments about the choice of lore? I'm not really certain on the best to go for so I will probably experiment with a few different choices; high, dark, metal and shadow.

Tae
04-05-2014, 08:29
Really? Why? They don't look that good, their spell picks are average at best and while they're probably worth their points they're still a long way from be auto-include, and I can't really imagine fielding more than one unit.

Making the captain a BSB is one option, I'll need to drop something but it shouldn't be impossible.

The point about the acorn, if I'm reading it right, is that you can place your acorn woods anywhere on the table, so having your rangers teleport into the enemy deployment zone on T1 will alleviate the need to force the enemy into your arms.

Any comments about the choice of lore? I'm not really certain on the best to go for so I will probably experiment with a few different choices; high, dark, metal and shadow.

I agree with you about the Sisters, I can't see the reason they're auto-include. Good, yes, auto, no.

Anyway, whilst I see your idea behind the acorn jump, it relies on a few things:

1. Your opponent not knowing you're going to do it. After a few showings the list will struggle as people can block off the woods easily - especially if you're making them fear woods so not a danger to units inside.

2. Even after you jump, there's still not that much to encourage people to go in after you. Again, especially if you've made the wood a fear wood, I would just line my unit up outside and wait for you to leave rather than go in after you.

Lores I'm struggling with too. I would possibly add heavens too that, as the odd comet can really force peoples hands in terms of moving forwards.

SteveW
04-05-2014, 13:40

You need to be able to dictate the flow of the battle. There's no easier way to do that than Curse. Throw it out to three units and dare them to move, you don't even need LoS because it's a hex.

Wargamejunkie
04-05-2014, 15:39
They can move, just not march if they want to avoid testing.