PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves 350 Point Slow-Grow Campaign

DrWilhelm
04-05-2014, 06:39
My local Games Workshop is starting a slow-grow campaign this month, and since I haven't actually played a game of Warhammer Fantasy since early 7th edition I figured this would be a grand opportunity to relearn the rules at a low points value. Combined with the new releases this also gives me the excuse to begin collecting Wood Elves, something I've wanted to do for years. Of course having not played in so long means I'm at rather a loss when it comes to building a list. The first month of the campaign allows for 350 points, split between a Hero and a single Core choice. The force organisation rules have been thrown out the window so there are no restrictions on how much my Hero can cost. I've chosen to start off with a Spellsinger and a unit of Glade Guard, and I thought I'd ask around for some pointers on how to gear them up. The list I threw together before going to bed last night was thus:

Spellsinger with Level 2 Upgrade, Asrai Bow and a Talisman of Endurance

12 Glade Guard with Lord's Bowman, Musician and Hagbane Tips

This puts me exactly at 350 points assuming my calculation isn't off. I have a number of thoughts on the list. Dropping the 'singer down to level one and adding more bodies to the Glade Guard, or swapping out the Talisman for a Hail of Doom Arrow (to increase my chance of crippling my opponent before he can close with my squishy elves) being chief amongst them. I was hoping that I might receive some advice on tweaking the list, or even whether I should just leave it as is and see how things go. I'd also appreciate reccomendations on which spell lore to go with.

Cheers for any assistance you guys might be able to lend.

Spiney Norman
04-05-2014, 16:39
Definitely ditch the talisman, you could swap it for the HoDA or just a few more glade guard. If your campaign rules don't allow you to take magic items off your characters in a later month I would not give her the HoDA, just a bout any other character in the list is a better carrier of it than a wizard and I would save it for a captain or glade lord.

Remember you can just deploy your unit and wizard in your free venom thicket which allows you to fire in three ranks and cast with +1 was well as getting the -1 penalty to being shot at.

As for lores I would be tempted to go for the lore of metal as it will mitigate this list's primary weakness which will be high armour saves, it can also give you +1 to wound (enchanted blades) or 5+ scaly skin (glittering scales). Metal is a good utility lore even if you don't face higher armour (just don't default to the sig spell unless you have a good target for it).

Overtninja
04-05-2014, 16:42
At battles this low, always, always take the HoD arrow. That thing can has the potential to kill most of a 350pt army first turn.

MasterSplinter
04-05-2014, 17:01
I would argue that an average of 5-6 hits with strength 4 armour piercing can kill the most of an 350 point army but its not a bad bet i think. I would go for the glade guard option spiney recommended too.

Spiney Norman
04-05-2014, 17:09
I would argue that an average of 5-6 hits with strength 4 armour piercing can kill the most of an 350 point army but its not a bad bet i think. I would go for the glade guard option spiney recommended too.

Yep, if you want to deploy the HoDA at this points level I would drop the spellsinger and go for a glade captain, hitting on a 2 beats hitting on a 4 any of the week. Plus the arrow of Kurnous could be hilarious at this points level as most general characters may not even have a ward save.