PDA

View Full Version : Wood elf Wardancer equipment rule question

MasterSplinter
04-05-2014, 08:38
Just something that caught my eye when reading the unit entry of wardancers back in the armylist of the new book. There it says ANY of the models can be equipped with an asrai-spear rather than "the entire unit can be equipped with..." as it stands for the other units like gladeguard, glade riders etc.. Now i wonder what this might mean: is there a rule allowing units to wield different types of weapon and use them into close combat, as i was in the impression that this would not be possible, but it could be that i am wrong. Maybe thatŽs a hint whats going to come with the new edition, but it would make up for some nice possibilities. For example you could equip the wardancers partially with asrai-spears and benefit from the dhw in the first row and get another ranks of attacks with the spears. That would mean one could use a unit of 12 wardancers maybe 3 wide but 4 ranks in depht and benefit of 15 attacks when beeing inside of a wood.

orionwoodking
04-05-2014, 10:06
Well I think the emphasis with this would be clarity with your opponent. That all seems perfectly legal to me, and the best way to use the spears.

Leogun_91
04-05-2014, 10:41
It does indeed specify that any model may take it rather than all which is common and although it is strange to give this rule to wardancers it is not a unique case as man-eaters too have such equipment options but that unit has a special rule which specifies that all models are removed from the back. Wardancers do not have this which means that the targeting specific models with different equipment that is prevented against man-eaters would be possible against war dancers (i.e. if you have the first rank armed with two hand weapons and the others with asrai spears I would be forced to divide my attacks between two hand weapon armed war dancers and the champion until such a time that my troops are in base contact with spear wielding war dancers at which time I can divide attacks against those as well.).

Odin
04-05-2014, 23:05
Interesting... might be a point to the spear upgrade after all!

Spiney Norman
04-05-2014, 23:27
Interesting... might be a point to the spear upgrade after all!

I'm not convinced, firstly because the spear costs a point, its not a free swap, and secondly because spears are only useful if you are in 3 ranks and not charging (which WDs really need to be doing). I can't really imagine fielding a Wardancer unit that is three ranks deep, but if I did then I guess maybe I would consider equipping the rear rank with spears.

SpanielBear
04-05-2014, 23:51
I'm not convinced, firstly because the spear costs a point, its not a free swap, and secondly because spears are only useful if you are in 3 ranks and not charging (which WDs really need to be doing). I can't really imagine fielding a Wardancer unit that is three ranks deep, but if I did then I guess maybe I would consider equipping the rear rank with spears.

Well, there may be a very slight benefit from it being an Asrai spear, and therefore armour piercing no matter what dance is going on. If you have enough wardancers that you will be forming ranks, only the front rank is going to get the extra attacks anyway. With the spear, the single attacks from the second rank will at least have a bit of bite over the single hand weapon they'd otherwise get. And its really cheap to get...

But mostly I agree, wardancers seem currently to work best as small units that can hunt characters or disrupt ranks, you probably wont see/have clouds big enough for spears to be worthwhile.

It does make filling out those 1,999 and 1,499 lists a little simpler though. I don't know about you, but I hate feeling I've left points unfilled!

Odin
05-05-2014, 14:43

Oh yeah, it's still pretty useless. But at least that way there would be some point to the "upgrade". Otherwise it's completely useless, as armour piercing is never better than an extra attack (if my maths is right).

MasterSplinter
05-05-2014, 14:59
Yes, i was just looking for a reason to field wardancers. But i guess iŽll just use them as stand-ins for wildwood rangers untill if i buy the actual box. Was already a quite expensive release for me.

Leogun_91
05-05-2014, 16:05
Yes, i was just looking for a reason to field wardancers. But i guess iŽll just use them as stand-ins for wildwood rangers untill if i buy the actual box. Was already a quite expensive release for me. 5 war dancers go for a fair bit less than 100pts and can thanks to their WS6 and 3+ ward save survive a (non-elite) horde charge with at least one survivor*, being skirmish that survivor will then be stubborn in the forest. That is a very cost-effective way to deny your opponent the use of a large block of troops. He might of course bring a hero that helps him with such annoyances but 6 ASF attacks with killing blow directed at that hero is quite the risk to take to deal with such a cheap group. If the group is ignored those few troops flank charge next turn and distracts the horde with their 15 attacks, win the combat and force wasted turns. Most shooting would be ineffective and wasted on such a unit and the option to magic them away means that your expensive units are safe.

*For example a Nightgoblin horde charging would on average cause 1,2 wounds in that situation, as would skavenslaves, zombies and VC skeletons.

Leogun_91
05-05-2014, 16:06
Yes, i was just looking for a reason to field wardancers. But i guess iŽll just use them as stand-ins for wildwood rangers untill if i buy the actual box. Was already a quite expensive release for me. 5 war dancers go for a fair bit less than 100pts and can thanks to their WS6 and 3+ ward save survive a (non-elite) horde charge with at least one survivor*, being skirmish that survivor will then be stubborn in the forest you placed them in. That is a very cost-effective way to deny your opponent the use of a large block of troops. He might of course bring a hero that helps him with such annoyances but 6 ASF attacks with killing blow directed at that hero is quite the risk to take to deal with such a cheap group. If the group is ignored those few troops flank charge next turn and distracts the horde with their 15 attacks, win the combat and force wasted turns. Most shooting would be ineffective and wasted on such a unit and the option to magic them away means that your expensive units are safe.

*For example a Nightgoblin horde charging would on average cause 1,2 wounds in that situation, as would skavenslaves, zombies and VC skeletons.

Da GoBBo
08-05-2014, 09:45
Just in case anybody is still wondering whether this is possible, I think the Ogre book shows that it can. Maneaters can have different weapons, and it is stated in the exact same manner as in the the wardancer entry. It goes on to explain what that means (something the woodelf book does not), that different models can have different weapons.

Ramius4
10-05-2014, 02:56
5 war dancers go for a fair bit less than 100pts and can thanks to their WS6 and 3+ ward save survive a (non-elite) horde charge with at least one survivor*, being skirmish that survivor will then be stubborn in the forest you placed them in

Not true. Skirmishers is a special rule. You don't gain the Skirmishers special rule for being a single model, even one on foot.

Invincible Sword Goddess
10-05-2014, 06:25
Not true. Skirmishers is a special rule. You don't gain the Skirmishers special rule for being a single model, even one on foot.

But you wouldn't lose it either, and the lone war dancer survivor is still a skirmisher and thus still stubborn in forests.

Odin
10-05-2014, 08:01

Yes, it's a special rule. One which the Wardancer has got.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk