PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Wild Rider Frenzy Query

orionwoodking
04-05-2014, 11:08
I was reading the new wood elf rulebook and I noticed some fluff about the Wild Rider mounts being as furious as their riders, and the sisters mounts being a bit more sedate.

So I looked at their special rules section and noticed that unlike the ASF and Devastating Charge special rules, it does not specify which element of the cavalry model has the Frenzy special rule.

In the WFBR it states that "only the element with the rule gains the extra attack"

I was wondering if the general interpretation would be that the rule affects both the mounts and the riders, so they both gain the extra attack.

Thanks for your help guys

Tae
04-05-2014, 11:10
I was reading the new wood elf rulebook and I noticed some fluff about the Wild Rider mounts being as furious as their riders, and the sisters mounts being a bit more sedate.

So I looked at their special rules section and noticed that unlike the ASF and Devastating Charge special rules, it does not specify which element of the cavalry model has the Frenzy special rule.

In the WFBR it states that "only the element with the rule gains the extra attack"

I was wondering if the general interpretation would be that the rule affects both the mounts and the riders, so they both gain the extra attack.

Thanks for your help guys

I'm inclined to say both parts as since, as you mentioned above, it isn't limited to a single part of the model - like ASF. This, to me, implies that both parts have the rule, therefore both parts benefit.

furrie
04-05-2014, 16:31
looking at other similar cases, the faq always stated that only the rider gets the attack. Like with the mark of khorne in the warriors of chaos book. So it probably will be faq'ed to rider only.

Spiney Norman
04-05-2014, 16:57
looking at other similar cases, the faq always stated that only the rider gets the attack. Like with the mark of khorne in the warriors of chaos book. So it probably will be faq'ed to rider only.

Just like the last four army books have been FAQ'd? Seriously we haven't had any new FAQs in over a year.

Supposing that doesn't happen, what would your answer be? If it does work that will be 5 attacks per model, that's petty crazy for standard fast cavalry.

Catflap
04-05-2014, 17:32
I say it should work. Just like primal fury works on the boars of the beastmen chariot for example.

punygreenskins
04-05-2014, 21:04
I was just wondering about this as well. From my reading of the rules it seems the mount should get the frenzy too - it does fit with the fluff as well. 5 attacks is awesome, but unlike cavalry from other armies the wild riders have quite a poor armour save, so perhaps this makes up for that?

SpanielBear
04-05-2014, 21:45
The fact that the rules bother to specify which abilities affect the rider alone (ASF, Devastating Charge), but have no such caveat for frenzy, makes me believe that both the rider and steed benefit.

Lord Zarkov
04-05-2014, 22:55
The question to ask is if GW wanted it to affect the steeds how would they word it?

Probably like it is now.

If however they didn't want the steeds to have frenzy they could have easily marked frenzy as riders only like ASF.

This would imply to me that frenzied stags is the intended outcome. Makes an actual difference between Kurnos stags and Isha stags as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord Skrolk
05-05-2014, 14:58
Obviously rider only. Since when are horses frenzied? #tryingtodowhateverisnecessarytobendrules

dutchwarlord
05-05-2014, 15:19
Obviously rider only. Since when are horses frenzied? #tryingtodowhateverisnecessarytobendrules
They are not horses, they are furious Stags. I don't have the armybook yet, but if it says: asf (rider only) and just frenzy perhaps they mean to have frenzied stags?

Tae
05-05-2014, 16:16
They are not horses, they are furious Stags. I don't have the armybook yet, but if it says: asf (rider only) and just frenzy perhaps they mean to have frenzied stags?

^ This.

They're not horses, and the book explicitly doesn't list frenzy as rider only. Therefore until an FAQ says otherwise frenzy applies to the whole model.

boli
06-05-2014, 08:34
Savage orc boar boys, 8th edition - clearly states that frenzy is SO only. WE 8th does not.

Plus says so in the lore. ;)

Gustav Kohn
07-05-2014, 19:48
Is there an FAQ on skullcrushers that deals with this?

Da GoBBo
07-05-2014, 19:55
Is there an FAQ on skullcrushers that deals with this?

That wouldn't be helpfull, because half the FAQs GW releases are in fact erratas. So any "FAQ" explaining how crushers work, can't be taken to interpret how wildriders work.

But yeh. Two rules that are spcific to rider only, and frenzy isn't one of them. The brb doesn't rule out that steeds can't be frenzied, only that rider and steed don't transfer it to eachother. There is no reason to think wildridersteeds aren't frenzied.