PDA

View Full Version : Arch Lector Builds (as general)

EvanM
05-05-2014, 03:10
What are some viable Arch Lector builds for the general? I mainly want survivability so he can support infantry with LD9 buff and prayers

Voss
05-05-2014, 03:19
4++ ward and 1+ armor. Are there other options for magic items?

CountUlrich
05-05-2014, 06:16
Specularum is great for him, allows him to beat most enemy combat lords if you can get him into them and get a challenge off.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lord Dan
06-05-2014, 05:01
4++, 1+ armor, GW, speculum, War Altar.

calnen
06-05-2014, 06:53
4++, 1+ armor, GW, speculum, War Altar.

Expensive model though. He comes to ... 356? points fully kitted like that. I sometimes feel like you're better off putting him on a horse, and taking a backup warrior priest to mimic the effect of bubbling hatred.

Rake
07-05-2014, 14:25
Bubble hatred is far more powerful as it doesn't have the limitations on not affecting characters. Plus war altar is a stubborn hard to kill unit. well worth its points

Wesser
07-05-2014, 14:29
Armour of Meteoric Iron and a Greatweapon is nearly always more than enough.

You generally keep him out of direct combat anyway, so the only real threat to his health is enemy cannons. Sure you can load him up with 4+ ward, but it's rarely needed (especially as he can cast 5+ combat ward on himself) and with Empire it's generally just better keeping characters cheap

Lord Dan
07-05-2014, 17:17
You generally keep him out of direct combat anyway

For an all-comers' list, the Speculum is the only thing to deter the inevitability of a flying unkillable Nurgle Daemon Prince to the face.

Wesser
07-05-2014, 18:00
For an all-comers' list, the Speculum is the only thing to deter the inevitability of a flying unkillable Nurgle Daemon Prince to the face.

According to Warseer a Great Cannon instant-kills him on Turn 1:)

Lord Dan
07-05-2014, 18:07
Right, right. :D

But in the ~.00001% chance he isn't killed outright, he's going to be headed to combat as fast as possible to avoid the inevitability of a second broadside from your hill.

nathan2004
08-05-2014, 04:00
I'm wracking my brain to figure out how you get the lector to a 1+ Save besides giving him the AoMI. Can someone enlighten me please? Thanks!

Lord Dan
08-05-2014, 05:40
I guess it's actually 2+ armor, yeah. On second thought, why not take the Cloak of Ulric and Van Horstmann's?

EvanM
08-05-2014, 14:50
I love war altar but not the model (its so fricken tall). I think at 2500 pts having him on a war altar is good as long as hes general. the points are worth the 18" inspiration rage, bubble prayers, plus you get a 4++ ward save for free??? yeah its awesome alright as long as the enemy doesnt have 3 cannons pointed at him the whole game.

How often should I expect to get challenged with the war altar build? (worth taking speculum?)

Yowzo
08-05-2014, 14:54
How often should I expect to get challenged with the war altar build? (worth taking speculum?)

I'd take the speculum on an arch lector on horse in a unit of ICK or Reiksguard, save the points for something else if he's on the big chariot.

nathan2004
08-05-2014, 16:12
The 4++ doesn't confer to the rider only the Altar itself. If you want a 4++ for the Lector, you gotta buy him one.

Lord Dan
08-05-2014, 17:50
The 4++ doesn't confer to the rider only the Altar itself. If you want a 4++ for the Lector, you gotta buy him one.

This is really important. I ran into a VC player who made the same mistake with his Vampire Lord on their floaty-chariot thing. In a tournament. After being hit by a cannonball.

Yeah, it was bad.

Don't forget bubble hatred in addition to bubble prayers and the 18" Ld9 (which is huge for Empire).

EvanM
08-05-2014, 22:25
that actually changes everything.... yeahh if he doesnt get the buff too.... I probably wont then. I would run him in a reiksguard unit but my force is mainly infantry (griffin formation)

English 2000
18-05-2014, 19:09
I've been running mounted with White Cloak, Enchanted Shield and Sword of Anti-Heroes.

He's only ever died twice and it was both after I had clearly lost the game.

I have a 2k tournament coming up soon though and I might put the speculum in him to deal with the inevitable swarm of Daemon Princes that materialise in every tournament.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

EvanM
21-05-2014, 04:44
yeah Im not doing van speculum, at least not right now. Definitely AoMI. It sucks to pay that many points for it though. Its only slightly cheaper to do arch lector + AoMI + GW than a general and a warrior priest (the only reason to take an arch lector is to morph these characters together). Is it better just to get a general and a WP with basic equipment or an expensive Arch lector.

This isnt a tourny list. also, hes in a unit of state troops also with BSB and witch hunter.