PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Tournament Army List.

Tylous
06-05-2014, 19:37
Greetings,

My partner and I are going to be going into a doubles tournament of 2400 (1200 each) and we are planning of doing a Dark Elf/High Elf Army combo.
We currently have come up with a rough idea of what we want to have in our armies however; we still need a caster and a few more points.

We are wondering given our lists:

Who would be better to have a caster?

What lords or Heros should we use for Dark Elves?

Should we add some Dark elf Shades?

Or any other comments or criticisms.

high elf list
Lord

Hero
Caradyran Captain of the phoenix Guard (no Phoenix)

Core
Elyrian Reavers x 5, Musician

Special
Lion Chariot of Charce
Lothern Skycutter- bolt thrower
Phoenix Guard x 19 Standard Bearer (with world dragon banner) Musician

rare

total 1080

Dark Elf list

Lord

Hero

Core
Blackark Corsairs x25 Additional hand Weapon, Musician, Reaver, Standard Bearer

Special
Reaper Bolt Thrower

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Rare
Doomfire Warlocks x 10, Master of warlocks

total 845

Thank you

Tae
06-05-2014, 19:50
Greetings,
My partner and I are going to be going into a doubles tournament of 2400 (1200 each) and we are planning of doing a Dark Elf/High Elf Army combo.
We currently have come up with a rough idea of what we want to have in our armies however; we still need a caster and a few more points.

We are wondering given our lists:

Who would be better to have a caster?

This depends on whether the tournament is playing proper doubles rules or not.

If they are you'll both want casters as you will operate completely independently so cannot dispel stuff cast at the other and all your power/dispel dice get halved.

Tylous
06-05-2014, 20:06
Its a shared dice pool system and you can dispel anything your opponent throws at you (even if its on your team-mates units)

Tae
06-05-2014, 22:52
Its a shared dice pool system and you can dispel anything your opponent throws at you (even if its on your team-mates units)

So they're ignoring the allies system entirely then.

In that case I would plump for one HE wizard and two units of Warlocks - 2 x 5 is so much better than 1 x 10. Should be sufficient for what you need magic wise.

Other than that you have very few combat units, and one of them is pretty poor by comparison (corsairs). Too many fast cav/chariots/skirmishes etc and not enough square blocks, personally speaking.

zehlein
07-05-2014, 07:24
i think he/de-combination can be awesome....i would prefer shooty dark elves and cc high elves with the mage
if there aren't any restrictions maybe something like that:
DE: dreadlord on dark peg, darkshards/dark riders in the core, 2 small units of warlocks and fill the rest with boltthrowers
HE: high mage with book of ashur and high magic, knights/reavers in the core, withe lions with the banner of the worlddragon, and maybe a phoenix
one thing i'm not sure about is the bsb...you can use a de-noble on peg or the sealord in the withe lions; reform them when they are attacked is awesome
all in all it should be a good combination of shooting/cc with good access to magic

Tylous
07-05-2014, 13:19
So they're ignoring the allies system entirely then.

In that case I would plump for one HE wizard and two units of Warlocks - 2 x 5 is so much better than 1 x 10. Should be sufficient for what you need magic wise.

Other than that you have very few combat units, and one of them is pretty poor by comparison (corsairs). Too many fast cav/chariots/skirmishes etc and not enough square blocks, personally speaking.

Tae may I ask why you think Corsairs are poor combatants? Also with regards to warlocks why is 2 x 5 is better than 1 x 10? Does that turn them into more durable chaff?

Tylous
07-05-2014, 13:27
i think he/de-combination can be awesome....i would prefer shooty dark elves and cc high elves with the mage
if there aren't any restrictions maybe something like that:
DE: dreadlord on dark peg, darkshards/dark riders in the core, 2 small units of warlocks and fill the rest with boltthrowers
HE: high mage with book of ashur and high magic, knights/reavers in the core, withe lions with the banner of the worlddragon, and maybe a phoenix
one thing i'm not sure about is the bsb...you can use a de-noble on peg or the sealord in the withe lions; reform them when they are attacked is awesome
all in all it should be a good combination of shooting/cc with good access to magic

Also may I ask why White Lions? and Sealord? are you referring to the fleet-master?

Tae
07-05-2014, 15:34
Tae may I ask why you think Corsairs are poor combatants? Also with regards to warlocks why is 2 x 5 is better than 1 x 10? Does that turn them into more durable chaff?

Because they don't put out enough damage and they're more expensive than other bunker units.

WE will do better in combat thanks to poison and frenzy and are the same cost. Bleakswords have about the same amount of survivability in combat as they have a parry and are cheaper - so you can get more.

So whatever you want corsairs for there is a better, and possibly cheaper, alternative.

With Warlocks think of it like this - would you rather have 1 wizard with 10 wounds and +1 to cast (until he loses a wound) or 2 wizards with 5 wounds each? The latter offers so much more - you get both spells twice instead of once,they're much more manoeuvrable, far more targets to pick from etc. the only bonus from one unit is it lasts longer, but it will draw more concentrated fire so will probably end up dying as quickly as two smaller units would have anyway.

Tylous
07-05-2014, 16:04
Ok I see your point on the DoomFire. I've actually had a lot of good luck using the corsairs as an anvil for my hammers. Sorry to keep asking questions but are Shades (dark elf) worth while. Also what are your thoughts on the white lion chariots?

zehlein
07-05-2014, 16:05
why withe lions???
in my opinion they are the best special unit high elves have...good as against shooting, almost invulnerable to magic and misscasts thanks to the banner, nice punch in cc and unbreakable
with high mage and book of ashur you normally get one or two spells of high magic, so they get an additional ward save
why a fleet-master???
most people dont like him because u can't protect him as well as the noble(in this case neither he nor de), but he has the option of reforming his unit if attacked
so you don't have to worry about charges in the flank/back and you can avoide nasty fights; if the enemy seems/is stronger you can reform to a conga, which allows you to minimize enemy attacks
and because of unbreakable you can hold the line for support; even your characters are safe then, cause they are in the fourth and fifth line :cool:

Tylous
07-05-2014, 16:19
What rule allows him to do free-reforms when attacked?

zehlein
07-05-2014, 16:40
ok i wasn't completly right...you can do a cc-reform after the opponent has done his charging-movements
so the thing is to place them 3 wide and then you can widen them if the're charged or not
sry for misstake

Tae
07-05-2014, 17:36
ok i wasn't completly right...you can do a cc-reform after the opponent has done his charging-movements
so the thing is to place them 3 wide and then you can widen them if the're charged or not
sry for misstake

What rule allows him to do this?

The only unique rule the fleet master has means he and his unit are unbreakable if he's in a challenge or kills a character for that round of combat. Nothing I can see allows him To reform after receiving a charge - if there was he might actually be worth taking!

zehlein
07-05-2014, 18:29
i meant the high elf counterpart; didn't know but in german armybook he's called sealord

Tae
07-05-2014, 19:38
i meant the high elf counterpart; didn't know but in german armybook he's called sealord

Ah fairy snuff, I don't own the HE book so can't help on that one :p