PDA

View Full Version : Wood elves 2400 points, any advice?

Mullitron
09-05-2014, 09:56
Hi all, well I finally got 10 minutes to myself after purchasing the new book to write a list up, so here it is. I was thinking of taking lore of beasts for both of my casters, utilising the signature spell to increase the effectiveness of my two wild rider units. The wild riders look quite strong in the new book (and I like the new models) but are these units simply too big? Am I putting too many points into a 10 man sized unit of toughness 3 models? Same kind of question goes to the treemen, I like the new model but are they a waste of points? They look ok... but don't scream out to me when I look at them as must have options, or something my opponent is going to be all that worried about. any tips or advice about the list would be appreciated, thank you :)

Wood elves 2400:

Lords: Spellweaver
level 4
Elven steed
Talisman of preservation

Heroes:
spellsinger
Elven steed
dispel magic scroll

Glade captain
shield
bsb
hail of doom arrow

Core:

30 glade guard
Full command
Hagbane tips
Banner of swiftness

5 glade riders
musician

Special:

9 wild riders
Full command
Shields
Banner of Eternal Flame

9 wild riders
Full command
Shields

7 deepwood scouts
hagbane tips

7 deepwood scouts
hagbane tips

Rare

Treeman

Treeman

arolig
09-05-2014, 10:30
I am not a big fan of treemen this time aroud. I mutch more perfer waywatchers and eagles.

But keeping with your list theme of treemen this is what i would do.

Core: give the glade riders arcane bodkins or hagbane tips.
Special: Make it 12 wildriders(or two units of six), and 6 sisters of thorn to go for your wizard bunker, you don't want your wizards to charge into combat together with frenzied wildriders. Scouts are perfect.
Magic: Since you don't have and waywatchers I would make the spellsinger lore of metal. I then think shadows, high or dark magic for your spellweaver.
Rare: I really perfer filling this section to the brim with waywatchers, as they are super glade guard with two shots for 20 points, and can ignore armoursaves as well. Treemen are cannonfood. But one might be worth trying out.

Mullitron
09-05-2014, 11:18
I am not a big fan of treemen this time aroud. I mutch more perfer waywatchers and eagles.

But keeping with your list theme of treemen this is what i would do.

Core: give the glade riders arcane bodkins or hagbane tips.
Special: Make it 12 wildriders(or two units of six), and 6 sisters of thorn to go for your wizard bunker, you don't want your wizards to charge into combat together with frenzied wildriders. Scouts are perfect.
Magic: Since you don't have and waywatchers I would make the spellsinger lore of metal. I then think shadows, high or dark magic for your spellweaver.
Rare: I really perfer filling this section to the brim with waywatchers, as they are super glade guard with two shots for 20 points, and can ignore armoursaves as well. Treemen are cannonfood. But one might be worth trying out.

Ok thanks, you pretty much confirmed my concerns about the list and supported my own thoughts on what would be better. Well lets hope gw bring out a new way watcher kit sometime soon! Will rewrite the list in a bit so any further ideas or comments will be appreciated, thank you :)

Gerinako
09-05-2014, 11:27
Wild Riders are 3S5 & 2S4 on the charge.

Put them in ranks.

You lose a hell of a lot of attacks in that 2nd rank

You're wasting damage output putting these into ranks.

I'd take a max of 7 per unit (to maximise attacks) all in one row.

Eagles are great cheap re-directors.

No way you can squeeze them in?

Not a fan of treemen either but it's personal choice here.
If you're taking Lore of Metal to take on armour then it's fine. Personally I'd go Death and take two units of 10 waywatchers but that's just me.

Comes down to personal play style.

Mullitron
09-05-2014, 12:25
Ok well Ive tweaked the list a little, less made up of what looks nice and hopefully a little more practical. I'am thinking lore of shadow for my lvl 4 and high magic for my scroll caddy, any tips/comments etc?

Lords:

Lords: Spellweaver
level 4
Elven steed
Talisman of preservation

Heroes:

spellsinger
Elven steed
dispel magic scroll

Glade captain
shield
bsb
Hail of doom arrow

Core:

29 glade guard
Full command
Hagbane tips
Banner of swiftness

5 glade riders
Musican
hagbane arrows

Special:

5 Sisters of the thorn
full command

6 wild riders
Full command
Shields

6 wild riders
Full command
Shields

8 deepwood scouts
hagbane tips

7 deepwood scouts
hagbane tips

Rare:

9 waywatchers 180

9 waywatchers 180

Great Eagle 50

Great Eagle 50

Gerinako
09-05-2014, 23:12
It looks good. Don't get rid of the trees till you've given them a go though - you may enjoy there stubbornness ;-)

HalfBlood
10-05-2014, 05:49
This list looks very similar to one of my first lists I made with the book. One thing that I found was taking Glade guard units larger then 12-15 was an issue. So many points all in one unit when adding in the arrow tax. When the unit got charged, it usually got wiped and lost me 400+ points. The other issue, is it requires you to focus all of those shots.

If you are going to go MSU I would go units of 12 Glade Guard with Hagbane.

The more I playtest with the book, the more my core looks like this.
-12 Glade Guard Hagbane
-12 Glade Guard Hagbane
-5 Glade Riders with StarFire
-Another Fun Core Option: I have been running Dryads with the 5 branch wraith combo lately, but I can see another unit of Glade guard with Trueshot/Hagbane taking their place

Another thing I would consider, would to consider adjusting the arrow types on the deepwood scouts. I have been running trueshot on these guys lately, because it allows these guys to be extremely mobile. Basically giving you a 40" range. Hagbane is always good thought, but forces you to be closer. I'm still playtesting this.

When choosing the lore for your Weaver, I have been torn between Heavens, and Shadow. Both of these Lores change the list completely.
-If you look at Heavens, Heavens offers alot of damage spells, debuffs, and buffs. Harmonic Convergence with hagbane is nice, because the rerolls to hit can allow poisons to occur more. Also you can use the bubble form to hit multiple units hagbane units. Heavens also gives you alot of damage spells (Comet, Bolt, Lightning) which is always good when you are finishing off enemy units. Lastly, you can get iceshard, and midnight wind to help protect your elves from shooting (If you are in range hahah). I would choose heavens when having more hagbane elves.

-If you look at Shadow, Shadow is more close combat oriented. Miasma, Enfeebling Foe, and Mindrazor help the most while in close combat. With the new WE book, I feel WE should try to avoid close combat at all costs. Only a few units can really put out alot of damage in CC (wildriders). Also The withering is an amazing spell, but tends to favor trueshot arrows the most. The withering foces you to focus down 1 target unit, instead of a damage spread.

Hope this helps!