PDA

View Full Version : WIP Bitz Bash Ork Dread.

tzeentchgiant
18-06-2006, 01:13
Hello kind folks of warseer, as some of you may have seen from some other posts of mine, I've been attempting to clean up my desk, and a perfect army to do this with is orks, the scavengers seem to find a use for all the spare bits and bobs I've discarded over the years.

I've already started a large scenery project here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35541), but this is my second, far smaller scale project, to build a dreanaught, without parting with any cash.

None of the bits were purchased especially for this project, but I did crack open a sheet of plastic, it takes roughly a 10cm by 8cm piece to make the body and hopefully the arms and legs will come out of it too, meaning I could make 25 from one sheet, if I had the time and motivation

Without further ado, the dread's main body, :

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4602/edges0at.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2010/sides6nr.jpg

Finally, I filled the inside of it with discarded sprue, to make it feel heavier, it's now roughly the same weight as a normal hollow metal dread, even though you don't know by seeing it, the feel it has is much better that a normal plastic model, which is important, if a little sad (tongue in cheek smilie here).
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3987/fill3go.jpg

I still have arms to do, but any comments or preferably criticisms at this stage would be great (smily face smilie), damned image limit.

Thanks for looking,

TG

justFIGHT
18-06-2006, 05:03
excellent start, plasticard work looks good.

no comments yet, will wait until you finish some more of it.:D

post this here (http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=2) for lots of Orky crititism.

starlight
18-06-2006, 05:10
It looks great for the stage that it's at.:D

However, I have one question.......Why a Dread instead of Kans?

Looking forward to more.:D

justFIGHT
18-06-2006, 05:13
i was thinkin of exactly the same thing.:D make it as a kan (and make 3!) they will help you more.

Robot 2000
18-06-2006, 13:23
Yeah, and make those shootas bigger! Unless they're counting as one big shoota, in which case it's ok.

tzeentchgiant
18-06-2006, 14:40
Why a dread instead of kans? It's simple really, I've never used either in a game, so I just assumed a dread would be better. Whatever the official title, when it's finished I can use it as either, provided whoever I'm playing against doesn't mind.

I'll try to get the legs done today, and possibly extend the shootas (I haven't been able to find any suitable tubing, otherwise they'd be propa big unz.

Cheers for all the comments :).

TG

ArtificerArmour
18-06-2006, 15:39
Hehe, it looks like the fridge from wallace and gromits grand day out!

I'll keep an eye on this.

Weirdboy
18-06-2006, 16:42
I am liking it so far. If I had a decent camera I would post some pics of 4 scratch built Kans that I threw together one evenening for a combat patrol tourney we were having the next morning. They are really bad :) Everybody calls them my ghetto kans. That was a fun CP list. 6 kans, some grots, and one rokkit buggy.

MrChaos
18-06-2006, 16:52
A dread is more stompy, killy, and shooty!

Very nice scratch-built Ork Dreadnought, I like the idea of adding discarded sprues inside it's body to make it 'eavy.

tzeentchgiant
18-06-2006, 23:27
Well here's the leggy update.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3376/legs3rd.jpg

Comments very welcome, just remember I still need to add all the cables, and do a spot of GSing across the entire body to get it all gooby and bitzy.

Also, I've decided this will work well as a little orky thread to support all my bitz bash projects, I'll PM a mod shortly about a move and a title change.

Here's my other work, full story is it will be launching from my scenery thing, but read more about it on this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35541&page=3), pics:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5803/fighta19hu.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3222/fighta20dq.jpg

Criticisms welcome :).

TG

athamas
18-06-2006, 23:39
what is that bolted on the back of the rocket?

cos i think i may want some for my drop pods..

back on topic,

looking good, nice and orky!

tzeentchgiant
19-06-2006, 01:11
Thanks :), it's the turbine from a land speeder, just cut away from the other, so I can make two of these if I am so inclined ;).

TG

CaputMortuum
19-06-2006, 11:49
Looks like a proper Dred or Kan, TG! Good job.

It just happens, that I too, a long time Guard player, have found myself fallen over to the klanz of spore beget monstrosities. (Yes, that would be orks!)
I just got me a squad of Kommandos and the new Big Mek model, but I had no idea what they were gamewise. Now I've gathered as much as "da kommandoz are no real orks" and that there's a new 'dex coming out some time next year. Very interesting.

I might have to tinker with my guard 'till the next summer, or whenever the new 'dex will be published, before I really make my mind on which clan to go with. I could, of course, make a couple of Kans in the meantime. :)

caput

The boyz
19-06-2006, 12:22
Looking great TG I love the Dread. Good Job with the plasticard, I really like the look of the body. I like the beaten/weathered look you have added to the edge of each bit of plasticard, makes the whole body part look very Orky indeed. The legs are looking good so far, I like the feet.
The WIP, Orky flying thing is looking ok so far. I am looking forward to seeing more updates to both the Dread and the flying thing.

McMullet
19-06-2006, 13:53
Ah, those legs are quality, TG. Very good, I can really see them achieving a proper Orky stomp-waddle! :D

Very nice piece of scratchbuilding, and I know just what you mean about the weight.

tzeentchgiant
19-06-2006, 14:00
Thanks all :).

I expect not to progress very much today, as I'm just heading out, but you never know...

TG

no-use4a-name
19-06-2006, 15:00
The Dread/Kan is coming along nicely. Good idea about adding the sprue for wieght.

plasmadaemon
19-06-2006, 17:10
I don't like the legs, sorry, the hull will grind along the ground every step, because of the legs. Maybe make backward-jointed legs, like sentinels, but a lot more stompy looking (big pistons, joints, etc)- and place them on the sides of the dread.

The rocket ork does indeed, look very well done so far btw :)

McMullet
19-06-2006, 20:05
There's a lot of the play in those legs. It's crouched down (or maybe landing after a jump-stomp ;)) at it's posed, but it could stand up much higher.

tzeentchgiant
19-06-2006, 20:06
Thanks for the compliments, but with reference to the legs.

They're staying the way there are, for four reasons, first and foremost, they were easily made with what I have available, and replacing them would be wasteful, exactly the opposite of what I intended. Second, they are the same as the current legs on the ork dread and kanz models. Third, I like how they look, they seem to fit the atmosphere of orkiness, and fourth, as McMullet already pointed out, they are STOMPY.

TG

Pertinax
19-06-2006, 20:14
So when will we see this painted?

tzeentchgiant
19-06-2006, 23:18
I hope for the end of the week, but as now seems as appropriate a time as any to make excuses, I'm currently building sets for a school play.

I expect the dread to be completed (build wise) by Wednesday, you can hold me to that if you wish, and painted up entirely by Sunday night. I also hope to finish off the plane (build wise) by Sunday, it's quite a lot of fun, and a good distraction from the arms and GS work that I'm not looking forward to.

On that note, anyone have any ideas for arms? I'm not too keen on the actual ork dread arms, and I'm currently thinking about a more chicken style position, if you know what I mean.

Sorry to keep you waiting Pert, you're on my tail about everything it seems :p.

TG

-Mysterious
20-06-2006, 00:50
Hi TG,
As you may know I haven’t visited the forums nor posted lately,
But this is truly worth me getting back on the bandwagon.
One thing that cross’s my mind when I look at it,(pun?) is this part
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/and_you_r/Legs.jpg
Wont the wood grain show once it is painted and leave either a very “chunky” look or a kind of “bone” look. Although you have already glued it, it might be worth un-gluing it and drilling holes into the main tube and placing the two rods into them (toothpicks I believe) then adding a piece of plastic card rod over to act as a kind of piston.

Apart from that small thing it is excellent far greater than my work :)

tzeentchgiant
20-06-2006, 01:29
It's not something I've thought about to be honest, thanks for bringing it up :).

I'll probably give them a coat of PVA glue, to hide the grain, then I've still to add all the appropriate GSing to the edges. These are really just connector pieces, hinged at the leg and body, not pistons, so I won't be adding anything neumatic to what is already there.

Thanks for the advice :), and even better to see you back posting here again :).

TG

mousekiller
20-06-2006, 01:40
Or use a piece of coat hanger, as I think the dimensions would probably be about the same. Also, have you pinned any of this together, I would advise it else you'll be in the middle of an awesome game and, oops, legs fall off.

Great looking conversion thus far though..

tzeentchgiant
20-06-2006, 01:43
The legs aren't pinned, but everything is light enough for it not to be an issue.

If I start gaming again then I will go back and put a pin through from the leg to the main body.

TG

plasmadaemon
20-06-2006, 13:15
Chicken legs also look stompy, er- pointless arguing with you, to be honest :p They will look better when finished, I think we can all agree on that :)

Maybe you can attach sharp sticks/stuff to the bottom of the hull, so it looks like the dreadnought can slam someone into the ground in a painfull, painfull way? :angel:

McMullet
20-06-2006, 14:11
The problem with that is, cool as that idea is, no one would realise that's what they were there for, unless you can think of some really clever way to show it.

Cool ideas lose their edge when you have to explain them to everyone you play. ;)

plasmadaemon
20-06-2006, 15:56
Like, make some eldar casualty on the base riddled with bloodied holes, or name the kan 'Deh stompa-peersa' or something and write the name on the base.

:cheese:

tzeentchgiant
21-06-2006, 23:57
I agree with McMullet, the idea becomes redundant if no-one can work out what it's for, other than a phallic emblem below the dread (which I'm concerned about it looking like).

Iíve done some more work on the aircraft, some pics later, if I can find my motherís camera.

TG
Just the previous post I deleted, to avoid double posting.

Here's a plane update, comments welcome :).

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2126/fightaupdate22ws.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8171/fightaupdate19ec.jpg

TG

-Mysterious
22-06-2006, 08:15
Tg, I'm going to give it a go.
(Build an ork...thing)
I'm going to slap it together and if I like it I'll build a better one :)

Hideous Loon
22-06-2006, 12:59
TG: I think the plane looks far nicer than the Dreadie, maybe because the plane is something new, while the Dread simply is a plastic version of the stock model. What's the plane going to be, a larger version of the Grot bomb? A small Fighta perhaps?

tzeentchgiant
06-07-2006, 23:30
- Mysterious, plans tomorrow night hopefully :).

Hideous Loon, it's supposed to be a death kopta, but it could rroxy as any flyign machine.

Tonight's going to be filled with set building :(, so updates won't be until tomorrow at the earliest.

TG
It's tomorrow ;).

I recently looked upon my desk in shame, and started up work on all three of my orky projects again, the dread has advanced the most, the flying machine has moved on a tiny bit, and the scenery project now has one complete set of stairs.

Also, a confession, mousekiller, and probably countless others were correct, one of the legs departe the torso, and now it will need to be reglued, this time, with a bit more filler to keep it on, but you'll see that from the update.

Anyways, I'm just reviving this thread now, the update won'tbe until I find more batteries for the camera :(.

TG

P.S, expect an update on the scenery too soon.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
07-07-2006, 00:50
OI!!!

Dat iz proper!

WWWAAAAGH!!

tzeentchgiant
07-07-2006, 01:04
Thankyou MAD MAN-A-TRON, that's exactly what I was going for :p :).

Here is the update:

The main body, and pose ready for final weapons, power pack and GSing.
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6308/thewrongtrousers1xm.jpg

The front and back of the left leg.
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8807/leftlegupdate5tl.jpg

Questions welcome, ideas more so, criticisms are best of all.

TG

P.S, I was thinking of naming it Gromit, after Gromit, from Wallace and Gromit :p. The reason being, the machine reminds me of the wrong trousers, and it seems appropriate to honour that resemblance. Also Wallace is a nice atypical Scottish name, so that's reserved for something grander, but gromit is a cool orky style name.

Makaber
07-07-2006, 03:06
Looted the arm design form Victoria Lamb, no?

Pertinax
07-07-2006, 07:16
Sorry to keep you waiting Pert, you're on my tail about everything it seems :p.

TG
Damn righty.

Painting progress? Neppe!

wally
07-07-2006, 07:19
you sir may like to know that this idea has been STOLLED!!!

muhAHAH

plasmadaemon
07-07-2006, 08:28
Now that you have opted for said arms you have to do ,ahem, source lighting on it. If you wouldn't at all mind ;)

Might the arms be a bit long though?

McMullet
07-07-2006, 09:29
The leg design is great, the cables and stuff are a nice touch.

I'm not so sure about the arms though, they look a bit hi-tech for orks (I'm more a fan of the big hinges and hydraulics).

Still each to their own. I look forward to seeing some painting!

tzeentchgiant
07-07-2006, 12:08
Looted the arm design form Victoria Lamb, no? Yeah, I just couldn't remember her name, full credit goes to her.

-Mysterious: Nice dread, but it strikes me as being very "wooden" :p, not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm interested in seeing how it all works out for you.

Pert: Slowly but surely, and now you know my lying face :p.

you sir may like to know that this idea has been STOLLED!!! Go for it, I'd love to see more scratch build ork stuff.

Now that you have opted for said arms you have to do ,ahem, source lighting on it. If you wouldn't at all mind

Might the arms be a bit long though? :D, yes, source lighting is now going to be expected (if there's no chance of it happening), and the arm length... well, I tried with smaller ones but they looked stubby, I'm quite happy with the look of these ones.

McMullet, I was certainly intending to go down the clunky metal ruote, but I found that these were amazingly quick and easy to make, and provided I rough them up enough, I think they'll turn out fine :).

TG

McMullet
07-07-2006, 12:15
Actually, I'm seeing them as more like flails now, if you get me. What were you going to put on the end? If they have sawblades, I think that'll work (You can imagine them wildy swinging around and hacking people to bits), but they look too flimsy for Klaws.

Certainly, they came out well, even if I would've preferred something more Victorian-looking. :p

tzeentchgiant
07-07-2006, 12:24
Thanks for the tip :), I was going to try claws but I see your point, they wouldn't really fit.

TG

plasmadaemon
07-07-2006, 12:37
What about an axe and a saw combo?

dogfacedboy_uk1
07-07-2006, 16:10
Nice project idea, and a good challenge too. I've probably got enough s*** lying around my house to scratchbuild another house!!!

tzeentchgiant
07-07-2006, 16:26
What about an axe and a saw combo?I'm saving the axe idea for other projects, thanks for the suggestion :). I wanted something mechanical on the end of the arms, I had thought about a mace, but the circular saw idea is too good to pass up.

Nice project idea, and a good challenge too. I've probably got enough s*** lying around my house to scratchbuild another house!!! I'm in the same boat, I actually started to make another building though, you can see my efforts here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35541&page=5) ;).

TG

wally
07-07-2006, 18:13
dread or kan?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/wally_cat/DSCN1295.jpg

Pertinax
07-07-2006, 21:57
Why doens't anybody make kans/dreads with tracks?

tzeentchgiant
08-07-2006, 02:41
Why doens't anybody make kans/dreads with tracks?*cough* You don't know what I have written down ;).

dread or kan?I'd say kan, very cool work BTW :).

TG

Nkari
08-07-2006, 18:46
Deffinitly a kan.. And a Dread or Kan aint STOMPY with tracks.. thats why noone makes dreads or kans with traks.. geez.. ;)

Pertinax
08-07-2006, 19:48
In answer to my question: Because they are walkers?

McMullet
08-07-2006, 21:24
Who, the Dreads and Kans or the people? Hurhurhur.

Pertinax
09-07-2006, 11:07
Your pick.

;)

tzeentchgiant
16-07-2006, 14:48
Something painted?

Here you go Pert:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1883/legoo3.jpg

I'll be working on this more today, got to get it finishde now :eek:.

As always, comments and criticisms very welcome :).

TG

plasmadaemon
16-07-2006, 14:54
That's bloody crap, bad bad TG :p

Nah, I like it, nice chevrons and the skull freehand is a nice touch. Them wooden pistons of yours still have a bit of the texture though.

And make sure to blend in the highlights on the red! (when you get around to do them, hehe)

Rabid Bunny 666
16-07-2006, 15:28
Chevrons are warning signs, they have no place on Ork vehicles! :D

Nice so far TG, i will be watching this...

tzeentchgiant
18-08-2006, 22:01
Ok, so finally an update:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8871/pregscn7.jpg

Just prior to GSing, it still needs some rivets too and of course, those blasted disk cutters, which are a real bugger to make.

Comments and criticism very welcome, I'd love for all the mistakes to be pointed out before I declare it finished :p.

Thanks for looking :),

TG

McMullet
18-08-2006, 22:09
I like it muchly!

Nothing wrong with it that I can see. :)

Pertinax
19-08-2006, 07:07
A leg?

so what't the time schedule for the rest of the figure? 2008? ;)

tzeentchgiant
19-08-2006, 14:05
A leg?

so what't the time schedule for the rest of the figure? 2008? ;)Some time around then probably :).

I've been trying out more ork stuff, like casting tracks, so that I can make a rather tank like wartrukk. I also did a tiny bit of work on the fighta I had started before, so you never know, there could be a few more spurts of progress in the near future.

The GSing starts today, painting will hopefully be completed before I ship off to uni on the 7th.

TG

ArtificerArmour
19-08-2006, 16:06
*whistles wallace and gromit theme tune*

http://members.aol.com/APGolfer/wallaceandgromit/robot.gif

I like it, nicely painted leg. I like the shield thing.