PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for all Nurgle fantasy army

ndphoto
10-05-2014, 13:27
I've recently returned to the game after many years away from it. I've put together an all Nurgle army but have been utterly thrashed in my first two games, Firstly by empire then ogres in 2000pt games. Has anyone got any tips or advice they can give me to get me started?

Sent from father nurgles garden

Drachen_Jager
10-05-2014, 18:14
Depends partly on what army you play. Demon nurgle will play very differently from warrior nurgle.

ndphoto
11-05-2014, 08:30
It's completely daemons of nurgle

Daniel36
11-05-2014, 08:48
Why not add some Chaos Warriors, for ultimate Nurgly goodness?

liddan
11-05-2014, 13:50
Because that is against the rulebook and can only be used at your opponents' discrection.

What is your army? Do you have epidemius? Do you have either a great unclean one or a daemon prince? Do you have alot of beasts of nurgle? They are absolutely fantastic these days.

Nurgle daemons is pretty straight forward. Most lists splash Khorne for two cannons though.

ndphoto
11-05-2014, 19:34
Going to try a great unclean one in my next battle along with epidemus (is he any good), a ton of plague bearers, some drones and some nurglings. I have been using a soul grinder but I've found it to be totally useless. I've also been using a prince of nurgle as my general so far but fancy trying an unclean one instead.

liddan
11-05-2014, 20:37
The soulgrinder can work to get your epidemius tally up quickly against certain armies.

Epidemius is absolutely sick. Just make sure he sits in the back and survives, probably with some PBs as company. The tally is the only thing you pay for really.

I would try to get some beasts aswell. It's just sick value for their cost and they can accept challenges so your GUO is free to swing and stomp against the unit.

ndphoto
11-05-2014, 22:15
Excellent, some good tips there. I was going to stick epidemus in the big unit of pb's. I've got some plague toads too but I may use them as beasts

Metacarpi
12-05-2014, 11:28
I use my plague toads as beasts because the GW beast models are horrendous.

Large block of Plaguebearers (put a herald in here, with either the locus that improves Poison), Epidemius for the tally, Beasts in units of 3 (I take 2 units of 3), and possibly a Nurgle marked SoulGrinder to attract some cannon fire.

Watch as your Plaguebearers become unstoppable as the Beast rack up wounds. I think you want to aim to get around 14 wounds off before they're in combat, as they then recieve +1S and +1T.

Disclaimer - all this is from memory, I don't have my DoC book with me, and haven't played my DoC in about 9 months!

liddan
12-05-2014, 13:50
I think you definitely want the regen locus on PBs. If you roll -1 to ward saves you still have a 4++ and vs flaming you still have your 5++. When you get reroll failed ward saves from the tally you can choose to use your 5++ rerollable instead of the 4+ regen.

Metacarpi
12-05-2014, 13:59
I think you definitely want the regen locus on PBs. If you roll -1 to ward saves you still have a 4++ and vs flaming you still have your 5++. When you get reroll failed ward saves from the tally you can choose to use your 5++ rerollable instead of the 4+ regen.

Good point, I forgot about the -1 result on the Reign of Chaos, and also about the rerollable ward saves on the tally!

That's what I get for trying to talk from memory! :p

Tato
12-05-2014, 16:27
GUO with lvl 4 Death Lore + Epi + PB's with regen + BoN spam = cheese. ;)

Seriously, a Nurgle themed DoC list is considered as a power army. Do not overdo on BoN or you may have little opponents wanting to play against you!

Also, if I may advise taking some Furies (you can give them Nurgle to keep all troops theme based) which are great as redirectors/chaff. They really help against those nasty impact hits from unwanted charges.

liddan
12-05-2014, 21:32
It's definitely a power army when games allow special character(s) and you throw in two khorne cannons. That's about as nasty as it gets as far as daemons go.

You definitely want furies. You can mark them so they can use your 18'' ld-bubble from GUO and make them a little bit harder to hit in cc. Close combat is not their primary role though. You can keep them unmarked to save points and keep them safe from reign of chaos.

ndphoto
13-05-2014, 06:13
Thats great, some really good advice there, thanks very much. I'm definitely going to use my toads as beasts now, have a 40+ units of pb's with epidemus and a herald in there to get both regen and auto wounds on a 5+. I like nurglings to use to tie up war machines, and I've never thought of using furies before so I might give them a try.

Lorcryst
13-05-2014, 07:30
Hello !

I have a full Nurgle Daemons army, with which I lose more than I win (bad generalship and some hard match-ups in my gaming group), but I think I can give you some pointers :

Beasts of Nurgle are indeed a very sickening choice : I use mine in one block of 4 and two single ones, they can accept challenges, ignore combat res modifiers for flank/rear charges, and with a bit of luck they can dish out a decent amount of poisonned attacks (D6+1, average 4.5).

Since we don't use Special Characters in my group, my point of view on Epidemius is very theorical, but he looks very good for the Tally ... a couple of caveats tough : since he's mounted on a palanquin, his Troop Type is actually Monstrous Cavarly, meaning that if you stick him in a big unit of Plaguebearers, he won't benefit from a "Look Out Sir" roll. I think the best bet with him is hiding him at the back end of your deployment zone, preferably behind some terrain, and just use his Tally ...

A note on Loci : only the highest ranked Locus will affect an unit if you have several Heralds in the same unit (it's somewhere in the Army Book, on the page describing Loci, but I don't have it with me at the moment to provide a page reference), so if you stick Epidemius and a Herald with the Greater Locus of Fecundity (regen) in the same unit, only the Fecundity will work while both are alive.

Furies are good, and with the -1 To Hit from the Mark of Nurgle, they can survive a bit ... but their main role is to redirect the enemy.

Nurglings : those mites are a ton of fun, too bad they lost their Poisonned Attacks in this Army Book, but never take minimum sized units of them ... they're not really solid, their main use is to either tie up a big unit while something hitty is coming to help, Scout in front of the enemy army to force some Ld test for marching, or hunt War Machines.
And for that latter use, remember that Swarms count as Infantry for the purposes of Assaulting War Machines or Buildings, meaning that you can pile up to six bases of Nurglings on a War Machine, or ten bases in an assault on a Tower ... they are a bit weak, but with that many attacks, some are bound to go through.

As for Magic, I use a GUO with level 4 Nurgle Lore as soon as the point level of the game allows it, it's less devastating than Death Magic, but there are some very nice combos in there (Curse of the Leper to reduce Toughness followed by the magic missile that does D6 S5 hits + Toughness test for more D6 S5 hits can quickly munch through an enemy unit).

A Herald with Battle Standard Bearer upgrade is absolutely vital, add some regen Locus on it and level 1 mage and he will be buffing your big unit of Plaguebeares quite nicely ... I like to put the Banner of Swiftness on my main block of PBs, with the BSB with Razor Standard in there, makes a fast-ish unit that can take a lot of punishment AND deal some back with a -2 armour save modifier.

Soulgrinders are tricky, their shooting attacks are a bit meh, but the Daemonbone Claw can destroy chariots and monsters easily ... but I think that their best use is as a screen (a very expensive one) for either your GUO or Epidemius ... really depends on the point level of the game.

Plague Drones are a favourite of mine, they are surprisingly durable in close combat (T5 and 3 wounds, plus 5+ Ward, is good), I usually upgrade them to have poison attacks (Plague Proboscis ?), stick the 5 points banner that allow them to reroll a failed LD test in there (they will generally operate outside of the GUO 18 inches LD bubble) and take Death Heads with them ... yes, you tend to hit of 6s with that ranged attack, but it's poisonned so 6s are good, and they do D3 wounds ... I've killed a couple of Dwarf cannons with those, and now my usual opponent diverts a lot of firepower their way ... fine with me, and unit of 3 with all the kit is only 245 points, and while they shoot at my flies, they don't maul my GUO :p

That's all I can think of at the moment, and I have to do some serious work anyway ... if I get more ideas during the day, I'll try to come back with more advice.

Cheers !

liddan
13-05-2014, 14:14
Thats great, some really good advice there, thanks very much. I'm definitely going to use my toads as beasts now, have a 40+ units of pb's with epidemus and a herald in there to get both regen and auto wounds on a 5+. I like nurglings to use to tie up war machines, and I've never thought of using furies before so I might give them a try.

Like Lorcryst said, only one locus per unit and only the highest. Just making sure you don't miss out on that. What you want is probably one bunker for epi, maybe around 10-15 and another unit with herald+fecundity around 25-30 big.

I kind of like the death's heads since you can't march the flies anyway.

I never take a magic banner on the bsb but if any army can do it, it's daemons. Usually just go with a greater for 2+ armour or fencer's blades.

Evil Hypnotist
14-05-2014, 20:27
I have been building a mono-Nurgle force for a 2400 point tournament later this month so I have been playing numerous games to find the best way of playing them. Let's be blunt, a mono-Nurgle force will not beat all comers but by playing to their strengths I have been able to pull out a few wins, including a couple against that damn Banner of the World Dragon.

I agree with everything Lorcryst says, it's a very good summary. The only thing I would add is that I find this army is very hard to beat when used defensively. My tournament list doesn't use Epidemius so I can imagine you can more aggressive with him involved. Pick your match ups and protect your flanks, winning combat res is important so use deep units of PBs. With luck most of your units should hold up in combat, use this to draw the enemy in who expect to break you on the charge and then get the flank charges in.

The soul grinder normally never survives my games but he can do some decent damage with the weapon upgrades. Try to avoid getting him involved in combat against ranked up units on his own or he will just pop from Daemonic Instability. Thunderstomps are where your kills come from in combat so try and avoid things like monsterous cavalry. The daemon one claw is worth the 10 points just for the look on your opponents face when he rolls a 6 and his Loremaster is pulped. It can happen!

Finally, the Lore of Nurgle is great to help grind out the combat in your favour. If you get it, don't forget Fleshy Abundance will buff the Heralds Locus of a Fecundity to a unit wide 3+ regen! As Lorcryst says, the Curse of the Leper/Rancid Visitations combo can be embarrassingly good if you can get both spells off too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PapaNurgle777
25-03-2016, 06:46
Playing with good old papa nurgles servants! I need a good way of protecting epidemius tho! Usually I stick him in the back of a unit of 60-70 plaguebearers but this makes him stick out like a sore thumb and a huge target. Im thinking about breaking up that unit into roughly 3 separate units for more maneuverability and sticking epidemius in the back with a few heralds and a BSB. Ill also have a big bad lvl 4 Great unclean one with a few gifts to back it all up. On top of that ill add in 6 plaguedrones and a few beasts or nurglings (not sure whos better for the points.) Also can greater daemons take more than one Greater gift?