PDA

View Full Version : Acorns : what's it good for

Katastrophe
10-05-2014, 16:27
Ok. Melodrama aside. I've read the rule on the acorn. There's a real problem though. It looks like it's got to be used before the sides are chosen due to a lack of clarity in using words like set up and deploy.

Though there may be a legitimate reason for this, it's hurts the use of a hundred point item.

Is this the reading of the rule?

Blkc57
10-05-2014, 16:32
Meh, I think its more for being able to toss a virtual forest into the center of the board where the woods will effect combat for your line infantry more than being able to place a trees all through your opponent's deployment zone anyway.

Da GoBBo
10-05-2014, 16:51
It looks like it's got to be used before the sides are chosen due to a lack of clarity in using words like set up and deploy.

Never thought about it but yes, I tend to agree. Choosing sides falls under deployment in each of the scenarios (page 144 and up) and the acorn is used before deployment. This is especially clear in the watchtower scenario where deployment begins, someone gains control of the tower and deploys a unit there, and only than are sides chosen.

Odin
10-05-2014, 17:05
Ok. Melodrama aside. I've read the rule on the acorn. There's a real problem though. It looks like it's got to be used before the sides are chosen due to a lack of clarity in using words like set up and deploy.

Though there may be a legitimate reason for this, it's hurts the use of a hundred point item.

I don't think there's a lack of clarity. It is used after setting up the battlefield, but before deployment. Choosing sides is the first part of the deployment process, so the acorn is used before you know where you'll be. It's both RAW and RAI. Still an awesome item.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk