PDA

View Full Version : Eternal guard or wildwood rangers

still-young
12-05-2014, 09:16
So I preordered two boxes of eternal guard/wildwood rangers, and I was wondering how to build them? I prefer the wildwood ranger models, but eternal guard are core so that might be a better place to start?

I also got 2 boxes of wild riders/sisters of the thorn, should I build a 10 unit of wild riders or 5 wild riders and 5 sisters of the thorn?

Thanks guys

duffybear1988
12-05-2014, 10:41
Personally I would build 1 unit of 20 eternal guard and 2 units of 5 wild riders. The eternals are a good block to stall enemies with (and are core) and the wild riders make excellent flank chargers. I wouldn't run a unit of 10 wild riders though, they work best in multiple smaller units because they don't get to use all their lovely S5 attacks if they are in the second rank. It also means that they won't all be killed by a single magic missile and doubles the threat. I'm not keen on rangers at all. The models are nice but their rules are lacking and they are very fragile for a combat unit. Maybe if you flood the board with other more dangerous threats then the other player will ignore them but I just don't see them as worthwhile when we have much better special choices like wild riders, sisters of the thorn, warhawk riders, scouts, tree kin and war dancers. In my opinion they are our weakest special choice. Sisters of the thorn are an interesting choice. They make a good maneuverable bunker for our spellcasters and BSBs now that glade riders no longer fulfill that purpose. Their javelins are ok and their spells are average. Don't forget that they get the healing trait from the lore of life if they cast shield of thorns so you can heal up characters in the unit.

In general it depends how you want to play the army. Do you have any other ideas of what you want to include?

As for preferring the ranger models, you could use the ranger heads on the eternal guard. If I ever replace my old metal figures that's what I plan to do.

still-young
12-05-2014, 12:02
Well I have a treeman I want to include but apart from that pretty much anything. Have a treekin conversion planned using the river trolls and spares from the treeman to make forest trolls.

Think im gonna build the eternal guard with the hooded heads, and maybe give the leader a glaive or the two axes because the models are brilliant.

And i I think I'm gonna stick to wild riders for now, 2 units of five, but I might add some sisters later.

Is it worth taking banners/champs/musicians?

duffybear1988
12-05-2014, 12:17
You definitely want musician and standard in the eternal guard. Shields are ok but you have to ask yourself if you think a 5+ save is really worth much more than a 6+ save on T3 elves. Champion could be worth it if you fancy challenging I suppose.

Wild riders need shields and a standard. The 4+ save really helps out against bowfire and the banner sways combat in your favour. Again a musician and champion could be useful depending on what you want them to do. I tend to take the musician but leave the champ at home to save points. Another S5 AP attack can be helpful, but if points get tight and it's a question of shields or champion then go with the shields.

I hope that's helpful.

boli
12-05-2014, 14:00
Rule of cool: always go full command.

theshoveller
12-05-2014, 14:31
Rule of cool: always go full command.
A unit without full command is a mob. A unit with full command is a regiment. :D

still-young
12-05-2014, 14:33
Haha, thanks guys. If I model them with full command,dyou think people will mind if I ran them as normal guys?

duffybear1988
12-05-2014, 14:47
rule of cool for the win :D

Alltaken
12-05-2014, 15:02
How many other core troops you have? Normally you will need more those S5 hits really

From my servoskull

Spiney Norman
12-05-2014, 15:12
So I preordered two boxes of eternal guard/wildwood rangers, and I was wondering how to build them? I prefer the wildwood ranger models, but eternal guard are core so that might be a better place to start?

I also got 2 boxes of wild riders/sisters of the thorn, should I build a 10 unit of wild riders or 5 wild riders and 5 sisters of the thorn?

Thanks guys

Ultimately you probably want both EG and WWR, but I think your instinct of building Eternal Guard first is probably right. They are going to be the core of the army now, so unless you already own a ruck load of dryads that you can live with using (they are slightly worse than EG at the same job, but not by much) your core is more important.

I would go with two units of 5 wild riders because I don't see the point in a second rank which will only get one attack each, while a front rank model gets 5. One unit each of sisters and WRs is also a good option.

dutchwarlord
12-05-2014, 15:38
Have a treekin conversion planned using the river trolls and spares from the treeman to make forest trolls.
Will you post pictures of this :D please.... I would love to see that!

still-young
12-05-2014, 16:14
Ultimately you probably want both EG and WWR, but I think your instinct of building Eternal Guard first is probably right. They are going to be the core of the army now, so unless you already own a ruck load of dryads that you can live with using (they are slightly worse than EG at the same job, but not by much) your core is more important.

I would go with two units of 5 wild riders because I don't see the point in a second rank which will only get one attack each, while a front rank model gets 5. One unit each of sisters and WRs is also a good option.

okay, I'll build them as eternal guard. Thank you :) and hmm, might do one of each of the stag units then.

Will you post pictures of this :D please.... I would love to see that!

Yeah sure, when I get the trolls I'll post some pictures :)

Poseidal
16-05-2014, 14:25
I'm a bit late, but I would say Wildwood Rangers. On Dakka, someone made these reasons:

1. You will need more than 20 elves to make decent spear unit.
2. Rangers are a mobile attack force, you can always find use for this in a small game. Eternal Guard are a static anvil unit, which is easier to avoid in small games.
3. Rangers provide S5, so you can take these are your beatstick and can then start focusing on archery. If you build the Eternal Guard, you will still need something else to provice melee power.

Rangers therefore are not 'better' but cover more bases at an early stage of list making allowing you to focus on the core archery while leaving less undone. Later three boxes of eternal Guard will be about right.

As for the Deer Riders, 5 of each is more fun, and you can get more of the one you prefer later once you have a feel for them.

still-young
17-05-2014, 10:21
Ah okay, in that case then I'll build them as Rangers, cos those models are awesome and it'll be a while before I'm playing big games.

And ive ive already built the 5 Wild Riders, and I'm planning to build the others as Sisters. Should I go full command with the sisters? I did with the wild riders.

SpanielBear
18-05-2014, 06:36
Ah okay, in that case then I'll build them as Rangers, cos those models are awesome and it'll be a while before I'm playing big games.

And ive ive already built the 5 Wild Riders, and I'm planning to build the others as Sisters. Should I go full command with the sisters? I did with the wild riders.

I'd build them so you have them. A full command isn't essential in small games, but for larger ones a magical banner is always good (liche bone pennant for a 3++ against spells is a fun one), musician for rallying if they flee, and BS5 from a champion is nice.

Azmodian
08-06-2014, 21:29
I run a brick (yup) of rangers... With the right support magic they have destroyed a horde of savage orcs / trolls and characters, as well as a horde of black orcs led by grim gore!

in a forest with fear wildwood rangers are great...

the eternal guard are nice but I would rather take glade riders... Hope my 2c helps.

jester006
09-06-2014, 05:51
It depends. If you want a more offensive unit, then the rangers are better. They won't have Always Strikes First (ASF) due to wielding great weapons, but they're still Initiative 5. So in most cases they will still attack first at weapon skill 5 and strength 5. Then if you are basing an enemy that causes fear or terror, the guys up front gain an extra attack.

I you want to be more defensive, then the eternal guard are probably what you want. With shields, they will have a better armor save (5+). Their spears will allow them to have more attacks in most cases, but only at strength 3. Being Stubbon will help them hold a particular area better than most units in your army, but they will need support to wipe out any other massed unit.

The EG are core, so you can use them to fill out you mandatory 25% if you feel like. The rangers are a special choice that are in competition with other good units like warhawk riders, treekin, wild riders, sister of the thorn, and wardancers.

still-young
12-06-2014, 10:18
I built them as the rangers in the end, mainly for the model aesthetics but I quite like their rules, very flavourful IMO. I will eventually get some eternal guard for my core too :) thanks guys

Lord Dan
18-06-2014, 00:57
I've actually been toying with units of 12 Eternal Guard in 3x4 formations, 7th edition detachment style, with some success.

teclis_16
18-06-2014, 02:29
So I preordered two boxes of eternal guard/wildwood rangers, and I was wondering how to build them?

I also got 2 boxes of wild riders/sisters of the thorn,
If you play people who take lots of fear or terror causing units i would suggest Wildwood Rangers. Elsewise make Eternal Guard. As everyone has mentioned Eternal Guard are a very solid unit and you can never have to many core.
As good as sisters of the thorn are i would rather field wild riders. They are heavy hitters and possibly the best close combat fast cavalry in the game.