PDA

View Full Version : Forest dragon proxies

still-young
14-05-2014, 08:57
Seeing as no new forest dragon model was released (a shame, they need one), I was inking about possible model proxies. An obvious on would be a converted black dragon, but I was thinking, would the Arachnarok be possible to use as a proxy? I love the model but don't want to do O&G, and it fits with the forest theme... Is it a bit on the large side?

also, after reading the acorn of the ages fluff with the giant squirrel, I think there's another proxy idea there... ;)

dutchwarlord
14-05-2014, 09:12
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21563

This guy made a fantastic dragon from the high elf dragon kit, you should check it out!

Urgat
14-05-2014, 09:37
A shame, imho the forest dragon is the best dragon GW has ever released (though I admit I prefer the sprite-less version).

still-young
14-05-2014, 09:40
I think the forest dragon is okay actually but it needs to be plastic. And just brought up to date a bit.

That dragon on asrai.org is stunning.

the_picto
14-05-2014, 09:59
I really like the forest dragon too. The hands are maybe a little big, but I like the worm shape. The spites are a nice addition too. Favourite part is possibly the way the sisters of twiglet are riding it.

Wesser
14-05-2014, 13:46
Yea, but it's metal....

I'm in the exact same situation, so will watch this space..

Any takes on alternative/proxy Sisters of the Thorn?

still-young
14-05-2014, 14:21
Yeah the metal is what puts me off. I guess the arachnarok idea wouldn't work?

Korinov
14-05-2014, 14:30
What's wrong with metal, if I may ask?

still-young
14-05-2014, 14:46
More difficult to build, more likely to break, more likely to chip, harder to transport.

I have nothing against metal as a miniature material, but not for large models.

Spiney Norman
14-05-2014, 14:46
You might want to think about the Preyton from forgeworld, its maybe a little small for a dragon, but its on the right size base, and it does have wings.

Nothing says wood elf like an angry, giant, flying moose.

theunwantedbeing
14-05-2014, 15:00
Yeah the metal is what puts me off. I guess the arachnarok idea wouldn't work?

I don't blame you on the metal, pinning the thing is a fair bit of hassle.

If I was going for a dragon proxy I'de use the Vampire Counts Zombie Dragon, as despite coming with the same size base as the archanarok it will happily fit on a much more reasonable chariot base (with a bit of alteration if you want it looking straight on, otherwise it'll stand at an angle). It's plastic so should be really easy to make fit the look of the army.

Verm1s
14-05-2014, 15:17
Only problem is the VC zombie dragon is one of the worst models GW made, only made worse by assembling it with the terrorgheist head.

If we're talking forest dragon proxies, are we including non-GW models, or would that make most of you blanch in fear and confusion and hide behind the sofa?

also, after reading the acorn of the ages fluff with the giant squirrel, I think there's another proxy idea there... ;)

IIRC Trish Carden is quite good at sculpting creatures that look like giant rodents. :angel:

Okay, that was a bit too cruel and off-topic. Anyway. Giant squirrel, 50x50mm base? Sounds like a project.

the_nichts
14-05-2014, 15:20
I thought about the HE phoenix to proxy the dragon. I would try to paint it like a giant eagle...maybe a somehow magical/forest spirit one.

still-young
14-05-2014, 16:21
Hmm, the preytons pretty cool, hadn't even considered forge world... I'll check out some of their monsters now.

The zombie dragon is a cool model, but it seems a bit involved to make it all fleshed again. Wouldn't the black dragon or high elf dragon be a better base for a conversion if I was going for an actual dragon model?

Poseidal
14-05-2014, 16:32
I used the High Elf dragon with some Glade Guard bits for mine. Just stick to the less armoured parts, and maybe try and have it without the reigns.

still-young
14-05-2014, 16:52
There's a few models from warhammer forge that might be quite cool;
the warpfire dragon, looks suitable feral,
the preyton, although it might be a bit small,
the beast elemental,
the basilisk might be pretty cool too.

Would any of those work do you think?

Drachen_Jager
14-05-2014, 18:18
This is what my son uses as a dragon proxy.

Six lego 'bumps' is almost exactly 50mm, so we just use lego as the base too.

You probably can't take it to a GT though. ;)

Evil Hypnotist
14-05-2014, 19:25
Perfect opportunity for me to get Warhammer Forge's Carmine Dragon. Beautiful miniature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Verm1s
14-05-2014, 19:31
Beautiful miniature.

I prefer the Lego one.

Lars Porsenna
14-05-2014, 20:57
If non-GW manufacturers are up for consideration, Reaper Bones has several dragons in its range.

Damon.

still-young
14-05-2014, 20:58
I think of rather stick to GW just so I'm never caught out and can't use it.

Ludaman
14-05-2014, 21:13
But then you couldn't use this as your dragon proxy...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/5ejy8ysy.jpg

still-young
14-05-2014, 21:43
Wow. That's awesome! Where's that from?

Ludaman
14-05-2014, 22:15
Coolminiornot exclusive, there's an enormous eagle also that I like even better.

still-young
14-05-2014, 23:12
By exclusive do you mean I can't get it? :'(

Drachen_Jager
14-05-2014, 23:13
There are some cool dragons there. You linked to the pic of the eagle though. ;)

I also like this as a juggernaut model. Too bad it's $20 a pop.

Ludaman
14-05-2014, 23:22
There are some cool dragons there. You linked to the pic of the eagle though. ;)

I also like this as a juggernaut model. Too bad it's $20 a pop.

That's actually an owl I linked ;)

still-young
14-05-2014, 23:35
Really want that owl now :(

still-young
15-05-2014, 06:17
Were those CMoN models (the eagle and the owl) one offs or limited, or will they come back in stock?

Odin
15-05-2014, 07:52
If I get round to it, I think the black dragon will make the best basis for a forest dragon conversion.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ludaman
15-05-2014, 08:19
Were those CMoN models (the eagle and the owl) one offs or limited, or will they come back in stock?

They'll be back. However if you need one now, I have the eagle sitting around at home

still-young
15-05-2014, 08:33
Any idea when they'll be back? I don't mind waiting if you have plans for yours :)

Ludaman
15-05-2014, 10:25
The last restock was in January, they'll most likely re-stock soon

Ludaman
15-05-2014, 10:26
U can always send them an email, they have great customer service

Sorry for the double post

still-young
15-05-2014, 12:21
Thanks, I'll drop them an email at lunch :)

Metacarpi
15-05-2014, 12:54
I prefer the Lego one.

I wish I was as cool as you.

TheLionReturns
15-05-2014, 13:32
I plan to use the carmine dragon. Beautiful model.

still-young
15-05-2014, 14:00
If I was gonna use a forge world one I think I'd use the warpfire dragon.

Ramius4
15-05-2014, 14:22

OMG I want it. I want it bad :eek:

Francis
15-05-2014, 14:54
I want to chime in in favour of the Carmine dragon, I just finished one as my stardragon and I even painted it green which looks great on it. Its also relatively easy to attach a rider to, just make sure he looks to his right...

still-young
15-05-2014, 15:06
Okay actually the carmine dragon is a gorgeous model. Hadn't looked at it properly before.

Alltaken
15-05-2014, 16:28

I really dont get the wolf piece. But im quite tempted to get it. Too bad I allready got a dragon from a friend, old DE dragon, none malekith one

From my servoskull

Verm1s
15-05-2014, 17:26
I wish I was as cool as you.

I get it all the time, and I feel your pain. But don't worry - I'm here, and I can share my secret with you. It's remarkably simple, although unfortunately that doesn't always mean the same as 'easy'. The trick is that one should attempt to tear one's adoring gaze away from Games Workshop, just long enough to notice other dragon and monster models that don't look like a cross between a flaccid sock puppet rolled in gravel and skewers and an XXXtreme Saturday morning cartoon from the '90's. Still-young just accomplished it, there.

Silver Wolf
15-05-2014, 18:57
I really dont get the wolf piece. But im quite tempted to get it.

Probably modeled as a saddle, since the rider is somewhat awkwardly positioned...

Alltaken
15-05-2014, 19:25
The rider is a gw finecast hero, I figured the saddle, but it looks like if it was a dead wolf he placed over their giant owl

From my servoskull

Ludaman
15-05-2014, 20:16
I get it all the time, and I feel your pain. But don't worry - I'm here, and I can share my secret with you. It's remarkably simple, although unfortunately that doesn't always mean the same as 'easy'. The trick is that one should attempt to tear one's adoring gaze away from Games Workshop, just long enough to notice other dragon and monster models that don't look like a cross between a flaccid sock puppet rolled in gravel and skewers and an XXXtreme Saturday morning cartoon from the '90's. Still-young just accomplished it, there.

I swear Verm1s, I have such a love/hate, yin/yang response to your posts. Sometimes they're just so condescending and internet bully-ish it's hard to read them, and other times you have some pretty damn hilarious things to say. This one made me laugh out loud... In the middle of a carwash waiting area, like an idiot. Well done sir. Especially the extreme Saturday morning cartoon from the 90's part :)

still-young
16-05-2014, 22:04
I think I'm gonna go with the Warhammer Forge Carmine dragon :)

RanaldLoec
17-05-2014, 14:37
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/aruvynub.jpg

Why proxy?

Verm1s
17-05-2014, 15:27
I swear Verm1s, I have such a love/hate, yin/yang response to your posts. Sometimes they're just so condescending and internet bully-ish it's hard to read them

I actually wondered why I do that, after my previous post. There's just something about Warseer...

I've been drawing people, animals, dinosaurs and imaginary monsters since forever, and ramped up the study and comparison of their anatomy in the last few years since the interwebs opened up the wider worlds of miniatures, paleoart, speculative zoology, creature design, fantasy art, fine art, and comics. I can glance at my bookshelf right now and pick out some great and influential names - Wayne Reynolds, James Gurney, Andrew Loomis, Gottfried Bammes, John Howe, Terryl Whitlatch, Tom Kidd, and so on.

All of which is to say, when I see fans - who (I assume) haven't had or don't want much experience of fantasy miniatures or media outside of GW - go crazy for something like the carmine dragon, it's like listening to someone extol the virtues of the old Nagash mini as the height of the miniature sculptor's art. It feels like the emperor's new clothes. I get a strong compulsion to tell people to open their eyes.
I'm not saying there's no subjectivity, but how much can there be? How far can it go? Would it be a good, bad or indifferent thing if the sale of Nagash minis caused GW to think "right, people bought that. We'll stick with that style for character models for the next two decades. They'll buy it anyway." The heights GW could potentially reach, with it's resources and that timeframe, are so much... higher.
I could pick the carmine dragon apart piece by piece to point out what's so objectively objectionable about it (in all my posting history I have not yet begun to criticise) but maybe another time. I've rambled on enough in this post.

So here's something a bit more productive. From Reaper Miniatures, most of Sandra Garrity's dragons, and others, are quite nice; but the pick of the bunch has to be the Pathfinder red dragon. (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/sku-down/60028#detail/60028_p_1_af) Taken from an illustration by Wayne Reynolds and sculpted by Julie Guthrie - can't get much better than that. It looks a wee bit like a Saturday morning cartoon too, but this is like Batman The Animated Series rather than... Extreme Dinosaurs, or something. ;)

A few of Julie Guthrie's older Grenadier dragons are also still available from Mirliton (http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-dragons) (orderable through Vexillia in the UK), along with a few others, including one or two of John Dennett's IIRC. Two of my favourite dragon sculptors there. A look through the Grenadier sections of Stuff of Legends or the Lost Minis Wiki should be able to point out who did what.

A third favourite is the late Dennis Mize. Some of his old dragons are available through Dark Sword Miniatures, though I prefer the ones completely designed by him rather than taken from Larry Elmore's paintings. There's another fêted fantasy artist who doesn't really get animal anatomy and creature design.

What else off the top of my head? Andy at Heresy Miniatures is finally getting his dragon out the door, though there's still a wait for the backlog, and it might be too rich for some blood. It's big enough for that, though. ;)

Korinov
17-05-2014, 20:42
So here's something a bit more productive. From Reaper Miniatures, most of Sandra Garrity's dragons, and others, are quite nice; but the pick of the bunch has to be the Pathfinder red dragon. (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/sku-down/60028#detail/60028_p_1_af)

Good to read your opinion about that one. I'm currently waiting for the one I ordered arrive to my store. Gotta say though, it may be a bit small for some people tastes, in fact I ordered it because I want to put a Dark Elf Commander on a drake - I really really want to at long last have a "commander in big thing" among my minis, but sadly it also has to fit in my shelves, so can't go for a huge creature. That Bones' red dragon seemed reasonabily priced (15€) so I went for it, and can't wait to get my things on it.

Agree with your general point regarding how sad it is to see so many people blindly sticking to GW's miniatures range without even trying to look out of it. Opinions about minis will always be subjective, but it's plainly painful to read comments about how GW's minis are the best and have always been the best, "even if a bit expensive". That's so so so wrong in my opinion, and as far as I can tell, those kind of thoughts tend to come from ignorance - people just know a very limited range of miniatures and, since GW's are the most prominent and heavily advertised ones, they believe those are actually the best. Which IMO they aren't and have never been.

Ludaman
18-05-2014, 00:20
See Verm1s this is a perfect example of another post I love. Some of the old grenadier miniatures are literally my favorite minis ever. The goblin war giant is just about my favorite fantasy sculpt ever (always reminds me of time bandits). What do you think about Jeremy Glenn's creature caster project? I like the emperor dragon, but not completely sold on something about the hind legs...

Ludaman
18-05-2014, 01:15
See Verm1s this is a perfect example of another post I love. Some of the old grenadier miniatures are literally my favorite minis ever. The goblin war giant is just about my favorite fantasy sculpt ever (always reminds me of time bandits). What do you think about Jeremy Glenn's creature caster project? I like the emperor dragon, but not completely sold on something about the hind legs...

Edit: Doesn't mean I didn't buy it... Lol

Verm1s
20-05-2014, 12:26
Gotta say though, it may be a bit small for some people tastes

Aye, that's a slight problem with other and older dragons. 4" tall - does that include the wings? Still about 3-4 times the height of a human mini, a big creature, but unfortunately (unfairly?) a bit weedy beside some of the gigantic 'minis' you can get.

But on the other hand...

in fact I ordered it because I want to put a Dark Elf Commander on a drake - I really really want to at long last have a "commander in big thing" among my minis, but sadly it also has to fit in my shelves, so can't go for a huge creature.

Heh. I'm on the list for one of the Heresy dragons, but I'm not sure where I'm going to keep it, let alone how to cart it around. How does the commander fit?

Bones - basically the bendy vinyl that Airfix, Zvezda etc. have been using since time immemorial? At least as far as I can tell from the blister of skellies I got. I'm not fond of it for small infantry minis with thin parts (didn't like it when I got it in Airfix and Zvezda boxes either) but I'm in the set that thinks it works for larger models. Certainly brings the price down, anyway!

Agree with your general point regarding how sad it is to see so many people blindly sticking to GW's miniatures range without even trying to look out of it. Opinions about minis will always be subjective, but it's plainly painful to read comments about how GW's minis are the best and have always been the best, "even if a bit expensive". That's so so so wrong in my opinion, and as far as I can tell, those kind of thoughts tend to come from ignorance - people just know a very limited range of miniatures and, since GW's are the most prominent and heavily advertised ones, they believe those are actually the best. Which IMO they aren't and have never been.

Mm. I've said it's like the emperor's new clothes, but it's like Plato's allegory of the cave, too. A very minor, very nerdy version of the cave. "Seriously you guys, those dragon shadows aren't all that and a bag of chips. You really gotta come outside and get a load of this..."

See Verm1s this is a perfect example of another post I love. Some of the old grenadier miniatures are literally my favorite minis ever. The goblin war giant is just about my favorite fantasy sculpt ever (always reminds me of time bandits).

:D It's a corker of an icon, alright. GW could do with a few of those rather than luminarks and chaos shrines, IMO.

Me: as much as I could spit and rage about some of GW's dragons, I could fawn over some of Grenadier's. William Watt's I'm not so wowed by. They're alright but a bit stiff and 'manufactured' compared to those by other sculptors. Julie Guthrie I mentioned. When I first saw her range of dragons (http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Julie_Guthrie%27s_Dragons), the blue dragon jumped out. It's 'just' an allosaurus with wings, but take off the wings and it's a very passable allosaurus, even with all the changes in dinosaur imagery over the last two inna half decades. Looking at that and some of her others - green, red, treasure, hydra - she 'gets it'. The poses, forms, lines, anatomy, features - fantastic (in the sense of 'of fantasy') but natural too. (I should mention at this point that no, dragons aren't realistic; but I think that representations of them look better when they look realistic, based on RL animals and anatomical conventions, rather than a careless, unguided attitude because 'magic!' and 'chaos did it'. Verisimilitude! (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/verisimilitude)) Brilliant that she's started sculpting dragons again, for Reaper.
John Dennett. I first saw his sculpting when I was shown photos of his dragonlisk (http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Dragon_Lords_-_Dragon_of_the_Month#2514_Dragonlisk) (pic (http://www.minitaly.com/paolo/pic/1_-_My_miniatures/Grenadier/Grenadier_Dragonlisk1.jpg), pics (http://painteddungeon.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/big-post-of-painted-grenadier-dragon-of-the-month-club-and-ral-partha-miniature-dragons/)) and fell in love with it as much as a man can fall in love with a small metal figurine of a warty imaginary reptile. Aside from the polo-mint... nodules, there's nothing about it I don't like. The set of the jaws; the hawklike turn of the head; the wing design, a skilful blend of pterosaur and dino/bird; the weight and balance in the body; the muscles, tendons, and delicate skin wrinkles in the limbs; the way the claws grip and wrap around the rocks... It's obviously not an attractive, charismatic, fluffy animal, but it's got a great natural 'ugly beauty' about it. (as part of the verisimilitude thing: there's a difference between 'sculpting ugly' and 'ugly sculpting') Couldn't rest 'til one turned up on ebay.
Many of his others aren't bad either. I bought the chaos dragon (http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/images/4/4a/G-dotm-2516b.jpg) from Mirliton without having seen that particular photo (only smaller, fuzzier ones) and it wasn't until I had it in my hands that my jaw almost dropped at some of the detail. Lookit all the tiny wrinkles under the eyes, along with the rest of the masterful interpretation of old skin stretched over a fleshless skull, and the ragged flesh hanging from ribs and other bones. Stick that in yer plastic kit. People wax lyrical about Nick Bibby's dragon's, particularly the great (http://spyglassasylum.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/let-us-consider-great-spined-dragon.html) spined (http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/a-monstrous-interlude-great-spined.html) dragon, having wonderfully subtle and realistic anatomy. Fair enough; but for me few have matched John Dennett in that regard.

And the kicker is that these dragons - arguably some of the best ever - by those three sculptors - Julie Guthrie, John Dennett and Nick Bibby - are all 25-30 years old. With the fall of Grenadier and Nick's sudden allergy to green stuff, it's like dragon minis fell into a hole for a couple of decades (with a few holdouts, re: Sandra Garrity) and there's only been some kind of freshly raised standards in the last few years. And sorry to say, but for the most part, GW has been part of the dark age rather than the renaissance.

What do you think about Jeremy Glenn's creature caster project? I like the emperor dragon, but not completely sold on something about the hind legs...

The guy who owned and sold Ultraforge? Glad to see he's figured out cloven hooves in the meantime. ;) The emperor dragon (http://www.creaturecaster.com/products/emperordragon) is a lot like his old Ultraforge dragon in design and quality, IMO: it's pretty nice, but I see what you mean about the hind legs. It's like... someone picked up a dog or cat around it's middle, and the feet are flapping about trying to get a purchase on something. It doesn't really look like it's landing or taking off, and even 'hovering' needs a lot of squinting.

As for other wee, general nitpicks, I'm not over-fond of the long, humanoid arms and hands (with bulgy round deltoids) some artists and sculptors put on their dragons. With Jeremy, it's most jarring on the left arm of his mountain dragon (http://www.creaturecaster.com/products/mountaindragon). Makes me wonder if they need to walk around upright like a human too, and what that means for the little guy in the howdah. Also, lithe, nearly writhing dragons coated in large, wide armour plates that would make a turtle jealous... :shifty:

And he's awful fond of that particular half-pointing, half-clawed hand pose, innee? The only models or concepts in the kickstarter that don't have it in some way are the mountain dragon and the plague angel. Mind you, I kind like the direction he's going with the possessed dragon. One of the instances where 'magic did it!' has a bit of validity, but it still looks well thought out. It's as if Mike Ploog (http://www.outpost31.com/movie/storyboards.html) and Rob Bottin (http://www.outpost31.com/movie/specialfx.html) did Warhammer. :)

Urgat
20-05-2014, 12:39
Best dragon? Imho, Confrontation's Titan Dragon. It'll only cost you your soul AND a kidney.

Verm1s
20-05-2014, 23:55
Oh yeah, that's not a bad one either. :) And, hey! It's available from some business called Legacy Miniatures, which looks like it's part of... oh. Cool Mini or Not. So yeah, soul and a kidney.

Urgat
21-05-2014, 08:55
I've always wanted that dragon. I found it in a store that was closing down... still too expensive for me. I settled for the much smaller (not that it's small, mind) "wyvern" version of it:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?101658-The-Gut-Reapa-(orcs-and-gobs-army-probably-image-heavy-soon)&p=6392393&viewfull=1#post6392393
An absolute nightmare to build, but such a gorgeous mini!
In the end, it only served to make me regret not having bought the dragon after all, and make me want it even more.
The quality of the sculpt, the variety of the textures, the way it all feels natural (dat pose!), a rather original and feral design w/o being over the top... I really love that mini. I use it as a wyvern for SoM games.

Korinov
21-05-2014, 11:48
Aye, that's a slight problem with other and older dragons. 4" tall - does that include the wings? Still about 3-4 times the height of a human mini, a big creature, but unfortunately (unfairly?) a bit weedy beside some of the gigantic 'minis' you can get.

How does the commander fit?

Yeah, I think that height measurement does include the wings. I asked a guy who had bought it as well and he told me it wasn't, without the wings, much bigger than a Kroxigor. Still enough for me. I'll probably go fetch it on Friday - if it's already arrived - and as soon as I begin working on it I'll let you know. I may need to use a bit of green stuff to make the commander 'comfortable' - he's is a mix from several plastic multi-edition GW parts, i.e. some parts from 7th edition cold one knights, the head of the 7th edition chrace lions champion and some parts from 6th edition dark elf warriors too, including the shield.

I've always wanted that dragon. I found it in a store that was closing down... still too expensive for me. I settled for the much smaller (not that it's small, mind) "wyvern" version of it:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?101658-The-Gut-Reapa-(orcs-and-gobs-army-probably-image-heavy-soon)&p=6392393&viewfull=1#post6392393
An absolute nightmare to build, but such a gorgeous mini!
In the end, it only served to make me regret not having bought the dragon after all, and make me want it even more.
The quality of the sculpt, the variety of the textures, the way it all feels natural (dat pose!), a rather original and feral design w/o being over the top... I really love that mini. I use it as a wyvern for SoM games.

Congratulations sir, that's a really nice dragon, fantastic pose.

BTW anyone has actually dared to buy the plastic GW black dragon, the dark elf one? It ranks among the ugliest miniatures I've ever seen. Beyond atrocious.

Verm1s
21-05-2014, 13:24

Nice. :D Great painting too - adds to the naturalistic detail.

I'll probably go fetch it on Friday - if it's already arrived - and as soon as I begin working on it I'll let you know.

Ta. :) Do you have a plog here or anything?

BTW anyone has actually dared to buy the plastic GW black dragon, the dark elf one? It ranks among the ugliest miniatures I've ever seen. Beyond atrocious.

Man. I criticised the Creature Caster dragon for having an undefinable pose. This one's much worse. In fact, the whole thing - oversized lumpy head held upright on a skinny neck, skinny body, tail between the legs, limp legs apart from one tentatively upheld paw - reminds me of a nervous chihuahua more than anything else. And that's without getting onto the detail, which is another retread of the old and baffling stock repertoire of the sculptor whose name I've been studiously avoiding for this topic. :shifty:

innerwolf
21-05-2014, 22:13

You would be hard-pressed to convince me about that thing having a 3+ scaly skin save.

Ludaman
21-05-2014, 22:16
Iron hard... Feathers...? Mystical fowl stench...? Shadow droppings....?

Verm1s
21-05-2014, 22:58
Iron hard... Feathers...? Mystical fowl stench...? Shadow droppings....?

As good a justification as for most of GW's other special rules. :p

Korinov
21-05-2014, 23:55
Ta. :) Do you have a plog here or anything?

Might open one in the Fantasy section, this is the perfect excuse after all :D

Man. I criticised the Creature Caster dragon for having an undefinable pose. This one's much worse. In fact, the whole thing - oversized lumpy head held upright on a skinny neck, skinny body, tail between the legs, limp legs apart from one tentatively upheld paw - reminds me of a nervous chihuahua more than anything else. And that's without getting onto the detail, which is another retread of the old and baffling stock repertoire of the sculptor whose name I've been studiously avoiding for this topic. :shifty:

Yup, agree. It's hideous. The head and the tail are the worst parts in my opinion, seriously who designed that miniature? Everything seems so so wrong from a design point of view, not to mention the sub-par sculpting.

Ramius4
22-05-2014, 00:14
You would be hard-pressed to convince me about that thing having a 3+ scaly skin save.

About as hard pressed as you'd be convincing me that these have only light armor?

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/8/25/263023_md-High%20Elves,%20Spearman,%20Warhammer%20Fantasy.jp g

Or that these have a 4+??

http://theshellcase.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/empgreatswords_873x627.jpg

Ludaman
22-05-2014, 00:20
Or that these have a 4+??

http://theshellcase.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/empgreatswords_873x627.jpg

Iron hard mustache. Duh ;)

Ramius4
22-05-2014, 00:38
Iron hard mustache. Duh ;)

Lol... Must be the title of an Empire porn magazine :p

Verm1s
22-05-2014, 01:32
seriously who designed that miniature?

the sculptor whose name I've been studiously avoiding for this topic. :shifty:

Which reminds me: the FW carmine dragon is basically the LotR dragon (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dragon) held up by it's oxters.