PDA

View Full Version : Fun Unbound Armies

zuriel45
15-05-2014, 01:58
I was joking around with a friend last night thinking about what might be some fun unbound army lists to field. For those that don't know the current rumors state the everyone can score, and with bound armies troops get the addition rule that allows them to be uncontested at all times unless another squad with the rule is contesting. There's obviously going to be that guy who wants to run 10 riptides at 1850, or 10 heldrakes and some hidden troops. But I want this to be about the goofiest types of unbound armies we can think of.

Personally I was joking about the idea of running 9 tervigons (some upgraded) at 1850. I think it would be funny to see how an opponent deals with 9 MCs pooping out 3d6 termigaunts. First turn it's about 90 gaunts with about 3 pooping out.

Ideas?

Hendarion
15-05-2014, 08:02
I really don't know whats actually funny about it or funny about seeing how your opponent would struggle with it. I guess our definitions of fun are simply just vastly different.
I guess a solutions for Eldar would be something like quite some Wraithfighters and/or loads of cheap rangers and Lords with flamers. Stalemate situation.

Bad monkey
15-05-2014, 08:14
I dunno I reckon there could be some fun senarios to be had with unbound armies vs battle forged.

Some things Iv thought about are a raid on an ork meks workshop, lotsa dreads and killa kans. Or perhaps the grey knights are battling to close a warp rift through Which some of the biggest and nastiest deamons are pouring out of.

There is fun to be had, and to be fair we don't really know anything yet. But as always you can house rule things to make it suit you.

Slayer-Fan123
15-05-2014, 09:36
Didn't you guys read the other threads? There's no such thing as a fun Unbound army!

My plan is to recreate the old Destroyer Fleet. Destroyers are overall mediocre in the current Necron codex, but 3 Squads each of Heavy Destroyers and regular Destroyers backed up by Wraithstar (with converted Destroyers to become Wraiths of course!) looks menacing.

duffybear1988
15-05-2014, 09:48
Here's my 7 samurai 1500 point marine list. To get to 2000 points I will just add loads of IG conscripts.

Cypher.

Black templars chapter master, artificer armour, auspex, digital weapons, relic blade, jump pack, melta bombs, shield eternal.

The emperor's champion.

Mephiston.

Clan raauken chapter master, artificer armour, thunder hammer, Betrayer's bane, digital weapons, the gorgon's chain.

Clan raauken master of the forge, power axe and conversion beamer.

Draigo.

Lots of random heroes to chop through the enemy. :)

BTJ
15-05-2014, 10:35
2000 points is 50 Runtherds and 500 Grots......

TheBearminator
15-05-2014, 11:30
Why not take one unit out of every codex in the game?

TheBearminator
15-05-2014, 11:34
2000 points is 50 Runtherds and 500 Grots......

I once brought 60 grots to a mini game against necrons. It was a close call but I won. And it was the slowest 400 points game I ever played. ;)

Mozzamanx
15-05-2014, 11:38
My personal favourite is the Founding Chapters Wonder Brothers Team, formed of 9 separate Detachments from each of the First Founding Legions, all of whom are kitted up and mounted.

Ultramarines Chapter Master with the Shield Eternal. Imperial Fists Chapter Master with the Teeth of Terra. Raven Guard Chapter Master with the Burning Blade. Salamanders Chapter Master with the Primarch's Wrath. Kor'Sarro Khan on Moon'Drakken. Clan Raukaan Chapter Master with the Chains. Sammael on the Jetbike. Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf. Reclusiarch with Bike to polish.

All of them should come out to ~1850pts with appropriate kit and form a nightmare squad of Look Out Sir!, one-hit melee ability, 3++ and Eternal Warriors out the bum and a grand total of 5 Orbital Strikes to send out.

I'd love to do a mirrored one for Chaos Marines, but the Mark rules won't let me. :(

Cheeslord
15-05-2014, 12:06
How about a Necron army from the Ghoulstars consisting only of failed ones? thematic, and possibly not too overpowered...

Shame the failed ones didnt get any IC or upgrade options but I guess you could throw in a couple of overlords converted to look like failed ones (since Necrons of all types could succumb to the disease). maybe even a C'tan shard (didn't the C'tan create the virus?) wandering around completely insane infected by its own virus...

Mark.

<edit> another idea for Necrons; take an army consisting only of tomb stalkers and always move them in a continuous line to represent the Mega Millipeds Ultimate Tomb Defender! (obviously as some get killed it can split into fragments, but thats what happens - if you chop it in two it just grows more heads and the two halves come at you!

Mark.

Terranarc
15-05-2014, 13:11
Here's my 7 samurai 1500 point marine list. To get to 2000 points I will just add loads of IG conscripts.

Cypher.

Black templars chapter master, artificer armour, auspex, digital weapons, relic blade, jump pack, melta bombs, shield eternal.

The emperor's champion.

Mephiston.

Clan raauken chapter master, artificer armour, thunder hammer, Betrayer's bane, digital weapons, the gorgon's chain.

Clan raauken master of the forge, power axe and conversion beamer.

Draigo.

Lots of random heroes to chop through the enemy. :)

Bring it on! I shall bring:

Abaddon

Kharn

Lucius

Typhus

Ahriman

Huron

Nurgle Demon Prince with a ton of random wargear to represent Mortarion. Lets see Dragio try to carve "I luv u" on his heart again!

Rest all into cultists.

It will be the most epic killteam game of all time with random cannon-fodder mucking about.

duffybear1988
15-05-2014, 13:16
Bring it on! I shall bring:

Abaddon

Kharn

Lucius

Typhus

Ahriman

Huron

Nurgle Demon Prince with a ton of random wargear to represent Mortarion. Lets see Dragio try to carve "I luv u" on his heart again!

Rest all into cultists.

It will be the most epic killteam game of all time with random cannon-fodder mucking about.

That would be epic.

OuroborosTriumphant
15-05-2014, 13:38
I quite like the idea of a Officio Assassinorum strike force. Nothing but Cullexus, Vindicare, Eversor and Callidus Assassins; you could make a 1500 point army with about 11 models.

I wouldn't expect to win many games, but it's be amusing to try out once or twice.

Spider-pope
15-05-2014, 15:35
Why not take one unit out of every codex in the game?

Because Allies restrictions still apply.

Hendarion
15-05-2014, 16:04
Because Allies restrictions still apply.Not according to White Dwarf. It says exactly the opposite. No restriction applies at all.

hobojebus
15-05-2014, 16:08
Not according to White Dwarf. It says exactly the opposite. No restriction applies at all.

In unbound anything goes the restrictions will be on war forged or whatever its called.

Felwether
15-05-2014, 16:13
Not according to White Dwarf. It says exactly the opposite. No restriction applies at all.

According to last weeks WD Ally restrictions DO apply.

duffybear1988
15-05-2014, 16:14

I could have sworn that I saw an entry in the 1st GW video where it shows the Unbound box and lists it as no restrictions - take whatever you like etc. I could be mistaken.

Theocracity
15-05-2014, 16:16

No restrictions to what you can take, but since we have contradictory information about whether Allies apply I assume that the interactions of the selected units are still bound by the new Ally chart.

Felwether
15-05-2014, 16:18
I could have sworn that I saw an entry in the 1st GW video where it shows the Unbound box and lists it as no restrictions - take whatever you like etc. I could be mistaken.

Hmmm... Must've miss that in the video. I'd certainly be be more inclined to trust screen grabs of the RB than White Dwarf!

Hendarion
15-05-2014, 16:22
According to last weeks WD Ally restrictions DO apply.Weird, because it gives the example of "Sternguard, a Bloodthirster, Tau Riptide, an Exocrine and Eldar Guardians" in one force if you want as you can field any models from your collection you want:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=193223&d=1400002791

Spiney Norman
15-05-2014, 16:25

One rumour source said that armies with a 'come the apocalypse' relationship can now ally with one another, albeit with horrendous restrictions on how they interact on the table. Its therefore possible that the rules for the allies matrix DO apply to unbound armies AND you can take any units from any codex. Basically it looks like all armies can ally with all other armies, subject to varying restrictions on how they interact.

SonofMagnus
15-05-2014, 16:37
Terranarc and Duffbear; Those lists are hilarious, very "Dynasty warriors" when you think about it.

Latro_
15-05-2014, 16:44
5 Marines - Drop Pod x 12 - 1500pts

14 Dreadnoughts - 1500pts

50 Chaos spawn - 1500pts

100 Death cult assassins (in small units of 3) - 1500pts

12 Imperial Bastions and 120 chaos cultists (i'd call it barter town hah) - 1500pts

that'd all be quite funny to play with!

Felwether
15-05-2014, 16:52
Weird, because it gives the example of "Sternguard, a Bloodthirster, Tau Riptide, an Exocrine and Eldar Guardians" in one force if you want as you can field any models from your collection you want:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=193223&d=1400002791

Ah... That's this weeks issue, which I haven't seen yet. It would appear that I was mistaken.

Then again, they could still have crazy ally restrictions placed upon them even if they can ally.

Hindle
15-05-2014, 17:45
plague zombie apocalypse.

I dunno about the chaos codex, but the servants of decay FW book would allow 250 zombies in 1500pts

could throw in some spawn for good measure

or how about an imperial guard scout force of just sentinels supported by a few sm scouts.

your opponent has landed on an ultra high g world, and the local PDF and population is entirely ogryns.

A burrowing tyranid force of just trygon/mawloc and ravenors.

I like the 7 samurai idea. could just take x amount of space marine captains with basic equipment and use them as a squad of 'fluff' marines, you know, where one space marine is equal to a hundred enemies of man, stands 7ft tall and eats nails for dinner etc.

Dribble Joy
15-05-2014, 17:58
30+ Killa Kans? :D

Saunders
15-05-2014, 18:27
I'd say I'm looking forward to unbound so I can bring an extra Wraithlord (3 and a Wraithknight, instead of 2) for my Spirithost (or Ghost Warrior Warhost now? I wish the Valedor formation stuck with the Spirithost terminology :\).

However, from what I've seen so far it sounds as though formations may become more integrated with the game. That will allow me to field a Ghost Warriors formation without having to give a long-winded explanation about formations, allowing me the extra wraithlord whilst still building a battle-forged FOC.

There really will be a lot of options, in a couple weeks.

Obvious choices would be...
Tyranids monstrous creature force (I prefer not putting all my eggs in one basket there, but I know some people who are looking forward to that)
CSM Daemonforge or Iron Warriors list, Warpsmiths with retinue and a bunch of daemonically-possessed vehicles
Phoenix Lord Warhosts (Baharroth the bullet-dodger and half a dozen swooping hawk shrines)
Cryptek tomb guardian forces

Felwether
15-05-2014, 18:31
plague zombie apocalypse.

I dunno about the chaos codex, but the servants of decay FW book would allow 250 zombies in 1500pts

could throw in some spawn for good measure.

I've been considering something similar: Plague Zombies, Traitor Guard, Ogryn as Big Mutants (possibly even Orks as smaller guys), lots sanctioned psykers summoning stuff and hopefully blowing up in suitably spectacular fashion and possibly a few Chosen sprinkled around for good measure. Proper LatD!

druchii
15-05-2014, 18:36
Didn't you guys read the other threads? There's no such thing as a fun Unbound army!

My plan is to recreate the old Destroyer Fleet. Destroyers are overall mediocre in the current Necron codex, but 3 Squads each of Heavy Destroyers and regular Destroyers backed up by Wraithstar (with converted Destroyers to become Wraiths of course!) looks menacing.

According to those people 40k hasn't ever been fun...:rolleyes:

What about 1kpts worth of Tzeentch horrors and four Lords of change? All summoning extra tzeentch heralds with portal glyphs and extra horrors...infinite horror spawning!

Also hilarious to see someone buy 200 horror models...

d

Ambience 327
15-05-2014, 18:57
Eldar Seven Samurai:

The Avatar of Khaine
Asurmen
Jain Zar
Karandras
Fuegan
Baharroth
Maugan Ra

Comes in at slightly less than 1500 - You could add a single Warlock or a single Shadow Weaver & Crew without bothering to look in another Codex.

hobojebus
15-05-2014, 19:02
According to those people 40k in 6th hasn't ever been fun...:rolleyes:

What about 1kpts worth of Tzeentch horrors and four Lords of change? All summoning extra tzeentch heralds with portal glyphs and extra horrors...infinite horror spawning!

Also hilarious to see someone buy 200 horror models...

d

Fixed that for you.

Konovalev
15-05-2014, 19:10
Ideas?

I remember reading about "Scarab Farms" back when the Newcrons were released. You take 3 squads of 3 Tomb Spyders and just have them sit there birthing scarab swarms all game to great effect.

Assuming that was never FAQ'd, then with unbound you could run something like 22 Tomb Spyders each using the same spawning rules as Tervigons(iirc). You could literally flood the board with scarab swarms.

murgel2006
15-05-2014, 19:52
Ehm...?

I love some of the ideas but whould it not be important to have a relation between "list" and scenario?

Say:
2x15 Bloodclaws with wolfguard leader each.
10 Grey Hunters and Ragnar
10 Scorpions incl. Exarch
10 Warpsiders and an Autarch
Manning 6 ork trucks

Order: Fight your way though 2500 points of Orks (or Nids or Chaos or Necrons etc.) from one table edge to the other.

druchii
15-05-2014, 19:56
Fixed that for you.

Or made it more of a joke. ;)

Thanks for the effort, though.

d

inq.serge
15-05-2014, 20:09
Deathstrike + camo-netting + hunter killer missile

x10

1850 pts of pure sunshine.

forseer of fates
15-05-2014, 20:21
Fun..... sounds like it

MrKeef
16-05-2014, 01:06
I quite like the idea of a Officio Assassinorum strike force. Nothing but Cullexus, Vindicare, Eversor and Callidus Assassins; you could make a 1500 point army with about 11 models.

I wouldn't expect to win many games, but it's be amusing to try out once or twice.

This is what the unbound armies should be, just really weird, really fun lists. I'd love to play that, I think both sides would have a blast.

Gig
16-05-2014, 01:41
I can finally play an all chaos biker/Raptor army :)

kieranhoare
16-05-2014, 02:33
that moment when my farseer turns into a slaanesh greater daemon :P

Shibboleth
16-05-2014, 03:28
My introduction to 40K was the old Space Crusade game, so finally my CSM can get back their Ork minions, Chaos Androids and Genestealers ...of Khorne.

Saunders
16-05-2014, 04:04
Ehm...?

I love some of the ideas but whould it not be important to have a relation between "list" and scenario?

Say:
2x15 Bloodclaws with wolfguard leader each.
10 Grey Hunters and Ragnar
10 Scorpions incl. Exarch
10 Warpsiders and an Autarch
Manning 6 ork trucks

Order: Fight your way though 2500 points of Orks (or Nids or Chaos or Necrons etc.) from one table edge to the other.

That's awesome.

that moment when my farseer turns into a slaanesh greater daemon :P

There was an old daemonhunters scenario like that...

Fangschrecken
16-05-2014, 04:05
Khorne is the "blood" god. Seems like genes would be in his wheelhouse.

Lanacane
16-05-2014, 05:21
Deathstrike + camo-netting + hunter killer missile

x10

1850 pts of pure sunshine.

one flyer would wreck your day.

inq.serge
16-05-2014, 09:38
one flyer would wreck your day.

I would at least get to laugh manically as I launch the deathstrikes. :shifty:

Lee-Full_Davis
16-05-2014, 12:49
For me a fun list to try would be using the Necron Royal Courts :D Won't win most games but it'd be a treat to field!

Felwether
16-05-2014, 13:14
You could actually do almost proper Movie Marines with this. Just take 10 Chapter Masters with bolters and maybe a Land Raider to drive them around!

duffybear1988
16-05-2014, 13:48
You could actually do almost proper Movie Marines with this. Just take 10 Chapter Masters with bolters and maybe a Land Raider to drive them around!

10 terminator captains vs a genestealer horde :)

Personally I'm loving the sound of Dynasty Warriors 40K - one team is made up of lots of squads with cheap heroes such as commissars, chaplains etc to lead them, whereas the other team is made up of rock hard heroes who have to munch through the lot before fighting the end boss. Reminds me of 4th edition kill team (back in the days when kill team was actually interesting).

Felwether
16-05-2014, 13:58

Sign me up man!

Reminds me of 4th edition kill team (back in the days when kill team was actually interesting).

I was just thinking the same thing. There's definitely fun to be had with 7th Ed.

Inquisitor leading an elite team of GK Paladins against hordes of Cultists to stop the summoning of a Greater Daemon? Yes please!

Admittedly all of these things could be done before but now that GW has made it "official" I hope we'll see more of it.

Andy089
16-05-2014, 15:01
at 2000 points: 10x monolith.
"sir we are being attacked by...buildings?"

What I might do for 1860 (because I can't get this at 1850 lol):
5x monolith + 1 Transcendent C'tan =D

duffybear1988
16-05-2014, 15:51
at 2000 points: 10x monolith.
"sir we are being attacked by...buildings?"

What I might do for 1860 (because I can't get this at 1850 lol):
5x monolith + 1 Transcendent C'tan =D

That's some real cheese :D

Andy089
16-05-2014, 15:56
That's some real cheese :D

I love how people are like "oh well monoliths aren't that great" and stuff but once you take a few of them in a list they go like "oh this list is sooo cheesy" <.<

druchii
16-05-2014, 16:30
I love how people are like "oh well monoliths aren't that great" and stuff but once you take a few of them in a list they go like "oh this list is sooo cheesy" <.<

Why take 5 Monoliths when you could take another Trans. C'Tan? Two of those boys with a few 'liths to port them around would be hilarious and terrifying.

d

Chem-Dog
16-05-2014, 17:14
Scarabs. Just Scarabs.

I think that'd be pretty unbeatable and would at least be fun to try to survive against it.

Theocracity
16-05-2014, 17:19
Scarabs. Just Scarabs.

I think that'd be pretty unbeatable and would at least be fun to try to survive against it.

Meeeeeeeps! (http://youtu.be/ya1UYsqf2hw)

inq.serge
16-05-2014, 19:03

Duffy you're the bestest.

duffybear1988
16-05-2014, 19:11

I meant that they look like blocks of cheese... :)

duffybear1988
16-05-2014, 19:12
Duffy you're the bestest.

You're too kind :)

hobojebus
16-05-2014, 19:43
I meant that they look like blocks of cheese... :)

But smell better.

nerull1025
16-05-2014, 21:08
The only unbound army I'm thinking of trying out is to put my otherwise reserved for display group of Creature Caster Daemons in one small list.
That's a Bloodthirster, Lord of Change, 3 Keeper of Secrets (one being the Treewoman), and 3 Great Unclean Ones (one being a converted GW version) plus a few Greater Rewards for about 1750pts.
I'd have no anti-air support so it's still no match against the "insert flyer here" spam, but it will look superb.
Unfortunately I still have no practical use for the incoming Zombie and Possessed dragons, but oh well.

Slayer-Fan123
16-05-2014, 23:50
I think something like an HQ from each codex. So a Catacomb Command Barge, an Iron Hands Chapter Master, a Crisis Suit Commander, etc., up to 2000 points and facing a regular force to see how long you last.

Lanacane
17-05-2014, 00:01
I think something like an HQ from each codex. So a Catacomb Command Barge, an Iron Hands Chapter Master, a Crisis Suit Commander, etc., up to 2000 points and facing a regular force to see how long you last.

or as many psykers as you can fit into 2k and hey presto greater daemons galore

Slayer-Fan123
17-05-2014, 05:50
meeeeeeeps! (http://youtu.be/ya1uysqf2hw)
oh my god another 5 second films fan

GenerationTerrorist
17-05-2014, 16:12
I posted it in another thread, but I'd love to go with:

Kantor plus Honour Guard
5 units of 10 Sternguard with every one having a combi-melta/plasma/flamer
All in Drop Pods

The scenario would be an assault on a mentalcase Big Mek fort with nothing but Dreds and Kans and craploads of Grot Riggers. Everywhere.

It would be such a fluffy game.

Fox Of 9
17-05-2014, 17:11
I think a all air army for either Guard or BA could be fun.. Just put them in a tonne of valks or Stormravens.

For 1850pts you could have........

Tycho 175pts

Sternguard 250pts
(10 men)

Storm Raven Gunship 240pts
Typhoon Missile Launcher
Twin-linked lascannon

Tactical squad 180pts
Plasma gun
Multi-melta

Storm Raven Gunship 215pts
Heavy bolter
Twin-linked Plasma cannon

Tactical squad 180pts
Plasma gun
Multi-melta

Heavy bolter

Tactical squad 180pts
Plasma gun
Multi-melta

Heavy bolter

(All Storm Ravens have extra armour.... )

That would be awesome to play with or against.. (apart from maybe all the skyfire needed.. :shifty: )

EDIT: This V Another all air force would be immense just imagine it all the air carnage.. there'd be smoke fire and death everywhere. Ahh the beauty of it all. :)
David.

budman
17-05-2014, 17:29
that hero army all IC's is awesome

Just Tony
17-05-2014, 17:34
I remember reading about "Scarab Farms" back when the Newcrons were released. You take 3 squads of 3 Tomb Spyders and just have them sit there birthing scarab swarms all game to great effect.

Assuming that was never FAQ'd, then with unbound you could run something like 22 Tomb Spyders each using the same spawning rules as Tervigons(iirc). You could literally flood the board with scarab swarms.

Holy hell...

This is totally what Unbound is gonna foster to. People are gonna stare at their codexes for hours on end coming up with the most deplorable lists. Makes 2nd Ed look balanced...

I posted it in another thread, but I'd love to go with:

Kantor plus Honour Guard
5 units of 10 Sternguard with every one having a combi-melta/plasma/flamer
All in Drop Pods

The scenario would be an assault on a mentalcase Big Mek fort with nothing but Dreds and Kans and craploads of Grot Riggers. Everywhere.

It would be such a fluffy game.

As a die-hard Crimson Fists player (with the Captain Cortez heraldry tattoo to back it up) I totally man-love you for that one.

Here recently I was batting around the idea of fielding an army with Kantor, one or two Sternguard, three Vindicators, and flood the rest with Tactical Squads and maybe some AC+MM Speeders. Now I'm seeing I can drop 10 Vindicators. That's A LOT of money, but it'd handle nicely I suppose.

Damn it, now I'M doing it. I need to play a nice game of 3rd Ed. and get my mind right...

Lanacane
17-05-2014, 18:09
Holy hell...

This is totally what Unbound is gonna foster to. People are gonna stare at their codexes for hours on end coming up with the most deplorable lists. Makes 2nd Ed look balanced...

i am already looking at a full army of Hexrifle Haemonculae on raiders.

use the raiders to pop armour and hexrifles to just kill everything else.

one shotting MC's is fun as is

Lanacane
17-05-2014, 18:10
Holy hell...

As a die-hard Crimson Fists player (with the Captain Cortez heraldry tattoo to back it up) I totally man-love you for that one.

Here recently I was batting around the idea of fielding an army with Kantor, one or two Sternguard, three Vindicators, and flood the rest with Tactical Squads and maybe some AC+MM Speeders. Now I'm seeing I can drop 10 Vindicators. That's A LOT of money, but it'd handle nicely I suppose.

Damn it, now I'M doing it. I need to play a nice game of 3rd Ed. and get my mind right...

let me know when you are fielding the 10vindies list.. I will turn up with one storm Talon and laugh hysterically as you can do nothing

GenerationTerrorist
17-05-2014, 19:44

Steady on, matey ;-)
I am just thinking of how much fun could be had with a random game thought up over a few beers with my mates in the pub.

"You bring your Sternguard List, and I will bring an equally cool army"
"Yeah man. Lets talk about the scenario and victory conditions?"
"Right. I reckon I have 15+ AV12 and AV10 models. Fists and Orks hate each other?"
"Aye. It is a bit nasty!"
"OK then. All your army must come in via Deepstrike. You win if you kill my Big Mek and control the fortress objective?"
"This will be epic. Can I bring some beer?"

Fox Of 9
17-05-2014, 19:56
Steady on, matey ;-)
I am just thinking of how much fun could be had with a random game thought up over a few beers with my mates in the pub.

"Right. I reckon I have 15+ AV12 and AV10 models. Fists and Orks hate each other?"
"OK then. All your army must come in via Deepstrike. You win if you kill my Big Mek and control the fortress objective?"

^^This, sounds like such a refreshing break from my normal 40k experience.

David.

murgel2006
17-05-2014, 21:02
Am I the only one who has the feeling that there is one general assumption in unbound criticism?
One brings a ridiculous unbound list and the other has a FOC without any shenanigans.
How realistic is that?

What happened with only FOC? One brought the current weblist and the other a normal list. And when the poor lad got tabled all he heard was "That is a perfectly legal list". Now he has at least the excuse to say: "it is unbound-power-gaming-waac, I will not play against something like that." And he will not be the bad guy.

I love the unbound fun.
In case of abuse I will simply bring a few more models to the pick up, having read about nasty things my armies could do in the web. So I make my list and bring some waac as a bad message for the a*** player.

static grass
17-05-2014, 21:28
Personally I am looking forward to running an Ironwing army or maybe delving into the depths of 1st ed and producing a Rogue Trader force.

There is a lot of opportunities here for good fun.

duffybear1988
17-05-2014, 21:37
I'm going to run some counts as kroot as Armageddon ork hunters in my IG list I think.

Kung Fu Hamster
18-05-2014, 01:20
I'm thinking of either a full-on Wych Cult list filled to the brim with Reaver jetbikes, Hellions, and Raiders full of Wyches. Or a full-on Haemonculus Coven with Wracks, Grotesques, and as many engines (Talos and Cronos) as I can fit.

Aryllon
18-05-2014, 07:19
A straight-up harlequin list (including a 'Mask' Autarch / Solitaire) against Daemons of Slaanesh.

Maybe chuck in some pathfinders and cultists to mix it up a little.

Mullitron
18-05-2014, 10:09
Demon prince angron and his bloodthirster bodyguard :) vs 100 grey knight terminators

inq.serge
18-05-2014, 12:28
If all-flyer list won't autolose, I want to play All-flyer vs All-flyer.

Robotlord
18-05-2014, 15:18
If all-flyer list won't autolose, I want to play All-flyer vs All-flyer.

Now imagaine if you got a couple of sheets of clear plastic and something to prop them up above the board. To move up or down a layer use 6 inches of your move distance. You know have a very cool 3D air/space battle.

Axel
18-05-2014, 15:31
Well, I might finally be able to put all my trukks on the table at once, for a fully mechanized army. On the other hand - with minor changes that is already possible, and its usally a big and funny fail.
I could stack more then two weiredboyz upon a flyer-heavy list, for more chances to Waagh them...
The frightening thing with the 500 Grot list is that I can probably field them - I have a full box of them back from some trades with the old 2nd edition. I only ever used 180 of them.... yet.

As my other army is IG, I was just contemplating the usage of stacked HQ Navy advisors. I think you need four to prevent any enemy reinforcements until they show up on turn 4 automatically (or was that 5? - I rarely use reserves...). I can already stack more firepower into a normal FOC then I can pay for in most games, though. Perhaps a full Rough Rider army might be interesting, if short lived...

Brother-Captain Endymion
18-05-2014, 17:32
Steady on, matey ;-)

Sounds insanely fun.

What about the alternative take? Kantor and nearly 1,000 points of Fists in a bunker/bastion vs 2,000+ points of Slugga Boyz? Jadeberry Hill?

luchog
18-05-2014, 20:11
I can finally do my All Singing, All Dancing, All Harlequin Army of Sparkly Doom. All 3k points worth. I should probably actually start painting them soon.

And with the Unbound rules, the lack of transportation is no longer a problem, since I can just grab as many Venoms, Raiders, Wave Serpents, and Falcons as I need.

Sir Didymus
18-05-2014, 21:04

I'm definitely going with this one too. And I'll start modelling belltowers for the vindicares ;)

Fox Of 9
18-05-2014, 21:21
I can finally do my All Singing, All Dancing, All Harlequin Army of Sparkly Doom. All 3k points worth. I should probably actually start painting them soon.

And with the Unbound rules, the lack of transportation is no longer a problem, since I can just grab as many Venoms, Raiders, Wave Serpents, and Falcons as I need.

Only if they have the option for them as I'm pretty sure all unbound does is remove foc not all transports to be bought without a unit. (unless they can be bought as fast attack as well.. not a eldar player).

David.

iamcjb
18-05-2014, 21:37
9 Tervigons vs an army of IG conscripts.

murgel2006
18-05-2014, 22:57
I would like to play against an army of only IG squads in a bombed town with Stormguardians only. Maybe a few heavy weapon squads and one or two regular guardian teams.
Nothing but a dirty infantry fight.
Narrow streets, fighting floor to floor.

Or just my Guardians and Stormies trying to hold a mechanized IG at bay in a narrow city.

Think of all the movies you can now "officially" replay.

carnifex49
18-05-2014, 23:40
I take your 7 samurai, and raise you 3 kings.

Wonder how 3 Primarchs would fair....

SonofMagnus
18-05-2014, 23:46

haha bro you read my mind! Well...close enough ;-)

I was wondering how a list of Gal Vorbak would do. they hit like trucks on steroids, so im wondering how a full list of them would do.

like 40 gal vorbak with Lorgar leading. Rough number but hey it sounds fun.

duffybear1988
19-05-2014, 08:39

Epic fight time :)

For Space Wolves I'm considering taking just rune priests, wolf scouts and long fangs. Imagine all those scouts OBELing on a gunline! :D

Theolla
20-05-2014, 18:44

This. As many Tomb Spyders as you can get into 1500 points vs. as many Tervigons as you can get into 1500 points. I think it would create a black hole.

Lanacane
20-05-2014, 20:34
This. As many Tomb Spyders as you can get into 1500 points vs. as many Tervigons as you can get into 1500 points. I think it would create a black hole.

Spyders will win.

You will get more Spyders, with a smaller footprint in.. and scarabs dont stop producing if a doube (triple?) is rolled. (unless that was changed)

Chuck in Entropic Strike and your MC will be insta killed in one combat phase

Kahadras
21-05-2014, 14:35
I was thinking of a 'Battle for the Fang' Space Wolf army. Basicaly it would boil down to Bjorn the fell handed and a dozen Dreadnought. Won't win much but it should look really cool on the battlefield.

Haravikk
21-05-2014, 14:57
Personally I'm only interested in Unbound lists for cases where I need just one extra slot, but most of these cases are really issues with the list itself, rather than a limitation of the force organisation chart.

My main one is my Deathwing army; I use Dreadnoughts as my heavy hitters, but I can only take all three by dropping my Deathwing Knights (or running them as a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield regular squad). I still don't get why we can't either take more than one Dreadnought in a slot, or even better to move rifleman dreads to Heavy Support.

Likewise with Eldar and Wraithlords; they cost half as much as Wraithknights, but we can't take two per slot. So my all wraith-themed list is limited to three Wraithlords, even though only two of mine are what I'd consider properly heavy (Bright Lance + Scatter Laser) while my others are more meat-grinders (a Shuriken Cannon and sword each). Yet if I wanted I could take the equivalent of six Wraithlords by taking three Wraithknights? Most opponents I've faced haven't been bothered about letting me take an extra Wraithlord (though of course I can swap it for something else if they do), but it's really just an oversight in the list rather than me really wanting to take advantage of Unbound.

So yeah, while Unbound could be interesting, I'd really rather be able to build lists that should be possible within the usual restrictions and get the bonus rules. It's going to make it a tough choice as I don't know if one extra Dreadnought or Wraithlord is worth the loss of the special rules.

Still Standing
21-05-2014, 18:25
I actually plan on building this army, just for kicks.

Ahriman
8x Sorcerer lvl 3 w/ Spell Familiars
1390 pts

So long as I am facing somebody with similar goals in mind, it will be incredibly fun. 9 guys summoning units of Pink Horrors (obviously summoning 9, not 10). Just hope I don't face somebody who can kill the unit on turn 1...

Personally I'm only interested in Unbound lists for cases where I need just one extra slot, but most of these cases are really issues with the list itself, rather than a limitation of the force organisation chart.

My main one is my Deathwing army; I use Dreadnoughts as my heavy hitters, but I can only take all three by dropping my Deathwing Knights (or running them as a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield regular squad). I still don't get why we can't either take more than one Dreadnought in a slot, or even better to move rifleman dreads to Heavy Support.

Likewise with Eldar and Wraithlords; they cost half as much as Wraithknights, but we can't take two per slot. So my all wraith-themed list is limited to three Wraithlords, even though only two of mine are what I'd consider properly heavy (Bright Lance + Scatter Laser) while my others are more meat-grinders (a Shuriken Cannon and sword each). Yet if I wanted I could take the equivalent of six Wraithlords by taking three Wraithknights? Most opponents I've faced haven't been bothered about letting me take an extra Wraithlord (though of course I can swap it for something else if they do), but it's really just an oversight in the list rather than me really wanting to take advantage of Unbound.

So yeah, while Unbound could be interesting, I'd really rather be able to build lists that should be possible within the usual restrictions and get the bonus rules. It's going to make it a tough choice as I don't know if one extra Dreadnought or Wraithlord is worth the loss of the special rules.

Since every army can ally with itself now, you don't have a problem!

Menthak
21-05-2014, 18:34
How about just bringing like, 50-60 ethereals?

superdupermatt
21-05-2014, 19:08
If 30k is allowed, how about a Traitor Primarch Enclave? That'd be pretty neat to have all on one board. Although at 2k you might be able to squeeze in 4.

Kung Fu Hamster
21-05-2014, 20:11
An Eldar Crone World army could be fun, especially from a modeling perspective. A warp-tainted Treeman model as a Wraithknight could be amazing, if done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

de Selby
21-05-2014, 20:37
The trouble with most 'fun' unbound ideas is you'd have to actually buy and paint them, just for a silly one-off game, and then they'd stop being interesting.

The seven samurai type armies actually seem more plausible as people are more likely to already have the models. Field the Space Hulk terminators as a squad plus a few termie characters, for example, vs their points in genestealers. You'd still have to pick whether to field Brother Heavyflamer or Brother Assaultcannon unfortunately.

The real advantage I can see to unbound is welcoming new players into the game with whatever they have. My first ever 40k models were a devastator squad, and a land raider (some time around the last years of Rogue Trader). Now that's an unbound army, explicitly allowed by the rules.

Lanacane
21-05-2014, 22:51
If 30k is allowed, how about a Traitor Primarch Enclave? That'd be pretty neat to have all on one board. Although at 2k you might be able to squeeze in 4.
Just have Angron and Mortarion with a HQ that gives outflank and then flyers

druchii
22-05-2014, 16:53
An Eldar Crone World army could be fun, especially from a modeling perspective. A warp-tainted Treeman model as a Wraithknight could be amazing, if done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the Treeman is too small (by like four inches) to be a wraith knight. But a wraithlord, it'd be perfect. It'd also be a great Avatar model with the Durthu sword. Could even sub in some demons in the form of fantasy dryads (maybe horrors or demonettes?) and have a pretty cool, warped copse theme.

d

Lee-Full_Davis
22-05-2014, 16:56
Unfortunately the Treeman is too small (by like four inches) to be a wraith knight. But a wraithlord, it'd be perfect. It'd also be a great Avatar model with the Durthu sword. Could even sub in some demons in the form of fantasy dryads (maybe horrors or demonettes?) and have a pretty cool, warped copse theme.

d

TheBearminator
24-05-2014, 23:51
I just realised I would now probably be able to do that pure deamon engine army. I've never liked anything about chaos, but I really like the Dino bots. Juggernauts, fiends, drakes and helbrutes. Don't know much about the units themselves, but I think it could look awesome! :)

murgel2006
24-05-2014, 23:54
I just realised I would now probably be able to do that pure deamon engine army. I've never liked anything about chaos, but I really like the Dino bots. Juggernauts, fiends, drakes and helbrutes. Don't know much about the units themselves, but I think it could look awesome! :)

I would love to play that with my infantry Eldar or Wolves.
Really an epic struggle.

TheBearminator
24-05-2014, 23:58
I would love to play that with my infantry Eldar or Wolves.
Really an epic struggle.

I'll send you a pm in like twelve years when I'm finished. ;)

Freman Bloodglaive
25-05-2014, 05:05
I can field all 8 dreadnoughts alongside my Deathwing.