PDA

View Full Version : A Comparison: Eternal Guard, Dryads, or Wildwood Rangers?

eljimbobo
15-05-2014, 03:45
I wanted to take a look at each of these units and do a bit of Mathhammer as well as some theory to see how truely effective or ineffective these guys are. There is a lot of contention amongst WE players that Dryads are crap now, but I think they're still viable (if not weaker).

Eternal Guard vs. Dryads
--
+Always Strikes First
+Armor Piercing
+Fighting in Extra Ranks (20 attacks to the front compared to 15)
+5+ Armor Save (compared to none)
+Stubborn
+Ld 9 (compared to Ld 8)
-3 Toughness (compared to 4)
-No ward save
-Non-magical attacks
-No Hatred (Always Strikes First is technically better over sustained combats)
-No Fear

Eternal Guard vs. Wildwood Rangers
--
+Always Strikes First (Wildwood Rangers strike at Initiative)
+Armor Piercing (effectively ouclassed by +2 S)
+Fighting in Extra Ranks (20 attacks to the front compared to 15)
+5+ Armor Save (compared to 6+)
+5 WS (compared to WS 4)
+Stubborn
-No Guardians of the Wildwood (More attacks vs. Fear causers, otherwise useless)
-3 Strength (compared to 5)
-No Immune to Psychology (can be considered a weakness on high Ld models though)

Wildwood Rangers vs. Dryads
--
+Strength 5 (compared to Strength 3)
+Effectively Armor Piercing
+6+ Armor Save (compared to none)
+Ld 9 (compared to Ld 8)
-3 Toughness (compared to 4)
-No Ward Save (compared to 6+)
-Non-Magical Attacks
-No Fear
-No Hatred (Always Strikes First arguably better)

Wildwood Rangers:
Good Against: High Armor and Toughness, Monsters, Fear and Terror Causers, Elites, Knights
Bad Against: Shooting, Magic Missiles, Sustained Combat, Weak Hordes
Suggested: Monster/Fear hunters obviously, small units 10 - 20 on flanks, not good as front line troops unless in obscenely large block

Dryads:
Good Against: Sustained Combat (2nd best), Weak Hordes, Shooting, Fear Causers
Bad Against: Magic Missiles, High Armor and Toughness, Terror Causers, Monsters, Knights
Suggested: Run in big bus to maintain rank bonus to win combat, 20 -30, alternatively as chaff clearers/archer hunters in 10 -15, alternatively in large bus or horde of 40, need strength buffs to maximize attacks, consider Branchwraith support, 2nd best anvil

Eternal Guard:
Good Against: Sustained Combat (best), Weak Hordes, Fear and Terror Causers, High Armor, Knights
Bad Against: Magic Missiles, Shooting, High Toughness, Monsters, Elites
Suggested: Run in big bus to maintain rank bonus to win combat, 20 - 30, alternatively as chump blockers in 10 - 15 for archers, alternatively in larger bus or horde of 40, need strength buffs to maximize attacks, consider BSB support, best anvil

HurrDurr
15-05-2014, 07:46
Running dryads anything bigger than minimum unit size is usually a mistake, so far eternal guard look best in minimum unit sizes of 10 as a stubborn roadblock that hopefully lasts 2 combats. Rangers are str 5, mathhammer in your head what they win and lose against, they hit harder but don't reroll to hit. No units over 21 unless you are hording with good augments, and even that is mostly for fun not competitive. imo

None of these units want to be in sustained combat, although if you "had" to pick something to use then wildwood might not be so bad because they generate more combat res with the greatweapons if the enemy has a decent save/toughness.

PeG
15-05-2014, 09:08
My opinion is that WE should avoid sustained combats as long as possible. If they need to happen we have the tools to pick were and when ie it is likley to be happening inside a wood (often with poison as an added bonus). Also the remaining of your list will give you a hint about which unit that ou may have to deal with in combat. For example in a list with 2 x 15 waywatchers + a lot of poisoned shooting you might want to have something to deal with hordes of low cost models since waywatcher should be able to at least reduce units of knights to smaller sizes and poison should be able to deal with monsters.

SimaoSegunda
15-05-2014, 10:44
I'm experimenting with a unit of 20 + shadow dancer, in a 7x3 formation. I took them last night, but couldn't really test them out as the game was won before I could really commit them.

Ero-Senin
15-05-2014, 11:18
I'm experimenting with a unit of 20 + shadow dancer, in a 7x3 formation. I took them last night, but couldn't really test them out as the game was won before I could really commit them.

A unit of 20 what? Eternal guard, wildwood rangers or dryads?

Tae
15-05-2014, 16:27

I took the same unit using WWR and found they destroyed the Daemons they were facing.

Admittedly they were Tzeentch and my opponent does have appalling luck, but I'm still liking them at the moment.

eljimbobo
15-05-2014, 17:59
What dance did you use on the Shadowdancer? Did you run him as a wizard?

SimaoSegunda
15-05-2014, 21:36
Sorry, I meant to say WWRs as the unit. I ran her naked, no wizard levels either. I only got one round of combat, because they broke the enemy unit and ran them down, but I used the 3++ dance and a challenge to stop his Blorc Big Boss BSB from doing any damage to the unit. That allowed me to kill most of the rest of the unit and break them.

Tae
15-05-2014, 22:11
What dance did you use on the Shadowdancer? Did you run him as a wizard?

I gave her (mines a female war dancer model :p) Glittering Scales and, therefore, no magic levels.

Hit the horrors and did deny ranks in round 1 and slayed the changeling thanks to ASF re-rolls. Did 3+ ward second round and cut down the BSB who was in B2B, at which point the rest crumbled under a combined WWR and WR mashing.

Incidentally, again he had poor rolling, but my 5 man Wild Riders took out 25 horrors in 3 rounds and only lost 1 guy in return.