PDA

View Full Version : Starting a WE-army (second army).

Shadow_Steed
16-05-2014, 14:30
Greetings!

I have had my great WoC army for almost two years now and I've gamed a fair bit with it. I love Elves and with the new WE models I can finally have an Elven army without unaesthetic units in it (no un-cool Spearmen or un-cool Dark Riders etc).
One of the gaming goals with the army is to make it tactically quite different from my WoC army which is quite typical for a WoC army with lots of heavy units and not that mobile except from the Marauder Horsemen and of course limited shooting (1 Hellcannon).

Here is what I am thinking as a starting force:

Sorcerer Lord

A Hero choice of some sort

10 Glade Guards

20 Eternal Guards

5 Glade Riders

5 Wild Riders

6 Deep Wood Scouts or Waywatchers

1 Great Eagle

1 Treeman

Thoughts on this?

Gustav Kohn
16-05-2014, 15:24
First off, how many points are you wanting to play?
Next, with WE it is very important that you don't try to do too many things. You have to focus on what style you want to play. Hammer and anvil? Shooty avoidance? MSU combat & shooty? All elf? All Tree?

Answer these and I am sure we can help :)

Shadow_Steed
16-05-2014, 16:15
First off, how many points are you wanting to play?
Next, with WE it is very important that you don't try to do too many things. You have to focus on what style you want to play. Hammer and anvil? Shooty avoidance? MSU combat & shooty? All elf? All Tree?

Answer these and I am sure we can help :)

Thanks for the reply! :)

I usually play around 2000-2400 points. Usually with the Swedish comp system.

I am leaning towards MSU combat and shooty for the gerilla feels :)

Gustav Kohn
16-05-2014, 17:17
Perfect. I have been playing MSU guerrilla since the beginning of 8th ed.

Here are things that Swedish Comp is probably going to penalize you for...
Waywatchers
Lvl4
Wildriders
Scouts (maybe)
High numbers of GG.

My current army is this for MSU avoidance guerrilla
LVL4 shadow for withering and moving chars around. Even if only one turn a game, it destroys big blocks of infantry. I go with the Acorn here for trees.

Lvl1 metal
BSB w/Hail of Doom Arrow
Waystalker with Bow of Loren- Fun and fluffy

10 GG poison
10 GG trueflight
15 GG poison
5 GR trueflight

5 Wardancers
7 Wildriders FC
10 X 2 Scouts trueflight
3 Warhawks

2X7 WW
2 Eagles

I personally like a mix of trueflight and poison on my GG and Scouts because I can specialize. The Warhawks can warmachine hunt, but can also hit hard enough in combat. Wild Riders are the bomb on the charge.

I don't like to use treemen because of fluff, but also because it ties a lot of points to a unit. Then, the enemy can go after it. A lot of people love the treeman for MSU though, so it is certainly valid. The Eternal guard will be a good anvil for your wild riders, treeman, or even the warhawks in a pinch, to hammer with; however, the EG need to be bigger if using them in that way...maybe 25 or even 30.

In all, it is a good start but you probably need some more shooting, maybe waywatchers and scouts, to whittle down the enemy. Try http://www.asrai.org/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=6e8603192f1f53b0793c8305a19db4bd for good advice as well. A new tactica is being written on that site.