PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves & Bretonnia - GW returns to sanity?

mike2010
17-05-2014, 18:31
Hello,
As a person who started collecting armies since the 5th edition (1995 actually), I've seen GW going astray.
Finally, at 2014, they have come to realize that they are losing there devoted customers.
Pending the rumors are correct, a new Bretonnia codex and army is about to land (July 2014). Look at the sites of asrai.org and the round table of Bretonnia.
For years, thousands of devoted customers dwell and yearn for new books. There are only numerous companies in the world that can make fans so devoted.
Instead of embracing this fans, cultivating them, they gave them the finger. If this as done today, GW would have gone bankrupt.

My advice to the people in GW:

1. Add fluff on regular bases to all armies (a short story once a month is not so troublesome).
2. Add information and tips and some bonuses to each army as done in the previous GW site.
3. Let people post pictures/images and other stuff from GW site as long as they cite and give credit to GW without threatening them with layers.

Just think about it, take all the armies special forums (asrai, ulthan, Bugman's brewery, etc.) along with the WarSeer and Faeit 212, etc. and you got millions of people viewing, discussing and eventually purchasing your stuff. If I was the owner of GW, I would thank you 1000's times a day!

Same is true of course for 40K.

Best,
M.

p.s - just my humble opinion

Ultimate Life Form
17-05-2014, 18:46
I heavily doubt we will ever see a Bretonnia Codex and if we do it will indeed be the end of this game.

And their recent pricing suggests that GW are not returning to sanity; far from it. Also their heavy-handed approach to copyrights and somesuch actively prevents them from communing with their fanbase.

tl;dr: Buy it or shut up.

Edit: Oh, wait, make this buy it and shut up.

Quetzalcoatl
17-05-2014, 19:02
No need for you to get rude.
Act your age.

Kingrick
17-05-2014, 19:03
Could you explain why a bretonnia codex would be the end of the game?

Ultimate Life Form
17-05-2014, 19:06
A Bretonnia Codex would denote a rules system for Warhammer 40.000k. I am not sure, but last time I checked Bretonnians didn't belong there. But with Unbound, anything seems possible all of a sudden...

Also I had no intention to get rude, I just felt the need to get GW's point across in a rather... direct manner.

anthrax1990
17-05-2014, 19:07
I hope that all these people who have been waiting for so long come out of the woodwork and show GW that there are people waiting for some updates to the less popular armies. Otherwise it will be a new variety of Space Marines every month eventually.

It looks like the Wood Elves are selling quite well as the Glade Guard are out of stock on the GW website, and my local GW has been out of stock for a week or so as well.

I heavily doubt we will ever see a Bretonnia Codex and if we do it will indeed be the end of this game.

And their recent pricing suggests that GW are not returning to sanity; far from it. Also their heavy-handed approach to copyrights and somesuch actively prevents them from communing with their fanbase.

No need to be such a Dick.....

Kingrick
17-05-2014, 19:11
A Bretonnia Codex would denote a rules system for Warhammer 40.000k. I am not sure, but last time I checked Bretonnians didn't belong there. But with Unbound, anything seems possible all of a sudden...

Also I had no intention to get rude, I just felt the need to get GW's point across in a rather... direct manner.

thats just nit picky, you know what he meant, codex, army book.. whatever

Kingrick
17-05-2014, 19:12
lolz unbound bretonnia, could happen. way to go awesome 40k rulez....

Spiney Norman
17-05-2014, 23:04

Actually if anything the latest round of prices appeared miraculously restrained. The wood elf wild wood rangers is the cheapest 10 man special unit box to hit the shelves since Empire gold swords dropped like a lead balloon, and the treeman was also cheaper than expected, (less than the carnosaur and hydra boxes) esp. since it contained that parts to build an SC lord.

I think its probably a little early to call this a 'trend', but compared to dark elves and dwarfs, wood elves got away very lightly with their model prices.

Malagor
17-05-2014, 23:15
I must agree. Those new cavalry units that WE got I had expected to be alot more expensive then they are.
I think the insanity was reached with the Witch Elves models. Since then the prices has been more reasonable.

Ludaman
18-05-2014, 01:21
I must agree. Those new cavalry units that WE got I had expected to be alot more expensive then they are.
I think the insanity was reached with the Witch Elves models. Since then the prices has been more reasonable.

Thank god

Words for the word god

English 2000
18-05-2014, 01:35

What are you saying here? How does a possible bretonnian army book have any relationship to what is happening in 40k?

Freak Ona Leash
18-05-2014, 02:13
I think ULF was joking that a codex is the 40k term for army book, and that with GWs recent bout of laissez faire in the rules system, a Bretonnian codex would be humorously likely. And i dont think he was actually telling anyone to "buy it and shut up," but rather offering that as his perception of what GW says to its playerbase in a metaphorical manner through its behavior as a company.

English 2000
18-05-2014, 02:46
And when explained like that it all makes sense. Boy do I feel dumb for not picking up on that.

At least I picked up on his "shut up and buy it" part.

1 out of 2 is a pass right?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

mike2010
18-05-2014, 06:01
ULF, no offence was taken as I understand your feelings towards GW.
Regarding the use of Codex instead of army book, don't you ever wonder what the fey enchantress and the green knight might be doing in space? :D

Sincerely,
M.

SteveW
18-05-2014, 06:14
ULF, no offence was taken as I understand your feelings towards GW.
Regarding the use of Codex instead of army book, don't you ever wonder what the fey enchantress and the green knight might be doing in space? :D

Sincerely,
M.

The fay enchantress is dead in the next Bret book. So she does nothing in space :p

Ludaman
18-05-2014, 06:42
Nah not dead, merely captured by Drycha, I'm expecting resolution in the Bret book.

StygianBeach
18-05-2014, 11:03

Agree! early days yet, but it looks like GW are listening.

The Price of the Witch Elves models is truly out of control. It should have not been a double kit... the Slaughter Sister stuff is a waste of space, there should have been more Witch elf stuff instead.
IMHO its just not good enough...

it has nice Witch Elf sculpts though.

Von Wibble
18-05-2014, 20:17
Actually if anything the latest round of prices appeared miraculously restrained. The wood elf wild wood rangers is the cheapest 10 man special unit box to hit the shelves since Empire gold swords dropped like a lead balloon.

Wait - did goldswords go down in price? I missed that.

Spiney Norman
18-05-2014, 20:56
Wait - did goldswords go down in price? I missed that.

Not quite what I meant, their price has been constant, the 'lead balloon' comment was referring to the reception of the kit when it dropped (i.e. First came out).

Plastic eternal guard were actually cheaper per model than their old metals, which is something of an achievement when you set them against other recent plastic kits like witch elves and shadow warriors.

Smooth Boy
19-05-2014, 00:36
Unfortunately Mike I think this is a freak occurrence, I bet the more reasonable prices of the Welves was down to the popularity of the army. Dwarfs, Warriors of Chaos etc. will likely remain ridiculous. I noticed when Tyranids were released they started selling large box's of gaunts at 27 for 20 which is close to what they should be, but they've stopped selling them now, whether it was down to an increase in popularity I don't know. Either way I'm not going to get my hopes up, but one way or another I'll be interested in GW's financials for the year, hopefully another shock will steer them in a better direction. As you say I've halfway accepted the price of the hobby at this point but they should try to involve the fans more rather than doing everything in a vacuum. Hopefully with Bretonnia being another less popular army their prices should be inline with WE.

SuperHappyTime
19-05-2014, 04:01
My advice to the people in GW:

1. Add fluff on regular bases to all armies (a short story once a month is not so troublesome).
2. Add information and tips and some bonuses to each army as done in the previous GW site.
3. Let people post pictures/images and other stuff from GW site as long as they cite and give credit to GW without threatening them with layers.

Just think about it, take all the armies special forums (asrai, ulthan, Bugman's brewery, etc.) along with the WarSeer and Faeit 212, etc. and you got millions of people viewing, discussing and eventually purchasing your stuff. If I was the owner of GW, I would thank you 1000's times a day!

Same is true of course for 40K.

Best,
M.

p.s - just my humble opinion

Mike,

I'll start by saying we are probably talking about thousands (maybe tens of thousands) instead of millions, but that's just me nit-picking.

#1 is a great point, and should be seen as a money-making opportunities. Look at many of the great video games that come out. A lot of games have some DLC content, and while that can be looked down upon as money-grabbing, most DLC content isn't required to play the game. Personally, I point to Blood in the Badlands or Sigmar's Blood as good GW examples of #1, but they don't do it often enough though. Sigmar's Blood was back in December of '13, and we've only had Dwarves and Wood Elves since then.

#2 lines up nicely with #1, and while it does sound a lot like you are begging for free stuff, GW should be looking at this as Advertisement instead of "Giving Away Free Things". As a big Magic the Gathering player, I can't help but direct everyone who brings this up to the articles on dailymtg.com, where their current Head Designer has upwards of 500 articles (I think it might be ~900) about the game itself. It's the kind of thing that GW should see and go "Uh-oh, If this company decides to seriously get into the miniature game industry, we are up Crap Creek without a paddle".

#3 is a highly complained about, but the fact is GW has ~1% of the issues, but does 100 times worse in their dealings with public relations than the Oil Industry and U.S. Republican Party combined. I would have figured that a British company would have a better way of convincing us American simpletons that things aren't as bad as they seem. But they'd have a better chance trying to convince us in French, since we might pull a Gomez Addams and say "Tish! You spoke French! I love you!".

Urgat
19-05-2014, 08:46
Not quite what I meant, their price has been constant, the 'lead balloon' comment was referring to the reception of the kit when it dropped (i.e. First came out).

Plastic eternal guard were actually cheaper per model than their old metals, which is something of an achievement when you set them against other recent plastic kits like witch elves and shadow warriors.

I believe plastic witch elves are also actually cheaper than their metal counterpart on a per-head basis, as shocking as it might sound :p

baransiege
19-05-2014, 08:51
And their recent pricing suggests that GW are not returning to sanity; far from it.

The Wood Elf boxes were cheaper than Dark Elves, so that's a downward trend.

Malagor
19-05-2014, 08:51
Yes you are correct about that part but still puts a nail in every coffin of those that consider an all-witch army.

jtrowell
19-05-2014, 12:46
The Wood Elf boxes were cheaper than Dark Elves, so that's a downward trend.

Not exactly: if you look the contents of the eternal guard kit, you will realize that the sprues used are of the same type as for core kits, not the smaller sprues that special/rare infantries get.

So the box was priced as a core box, and not a special/rare one ... and if you compare to the Dark Elf warriors box, it did get up in price compared to the reference (again) at 23.50 compared to 20 for the bleakswords/darkshards/dreadspears.

Of course, even if they had been special, 35 for the which elves is pure spart... er .. madness. :angel:

baransiege
19-05-2014, 13:08
Treeman < Hydra

Wild Riders / Sisters < Black Guard / Exec

WildWood Rangers < Black Guard / Exec

Eternal Guard > Dark Shards / X-Bows / Spears

Eternal Guard < Witch Elves

So I would say overall that shows a marked reduction in pricing. Given that Eternal Guard are always stubborn you need far fewer of them than the the DE player needs of all their core infantry so I would say it more than comes out in the wash.

It shows a clear re-adjustment to the pricing strategy.

Methios
19-05-2014, 17:11
Plus EG box is a dual with a special choice. And the DE box is core only.

For me the biggest step up for GW would be to ackowledge they are making the models for a game. And actualy know the rules and update errata /faq's.
Right now they are just producing models, and sell rules as a plus.