PDA

View Full Version : Magical vortexes

Imperator64
18-05-2014, 21:05
Can vortexes be cast in the direction of troops in combat?

theunwantedbeing
18-05-2014, 21:08
Any direction, you don't even have to try to hit enemies if you don't want to.

Imperator64
18-05-2014, 22:09
Whilst in combat at the unit tje wizard is in combat with? And is this accepted by everyone and not considered gamey by people?

theunwantedbeing
18-05-2014, 22:24
Nothing stops a mage casting spells while in combat, they're just not allowed to target a unit in combat.
Vortex spells have no target.

A little bit gamey but you can blame GW for being inconsistent and then not Errata or FAQing it properly (which they aren't going to bother with seeing as 9th edition is on the horizon).

Imperator64
18-05-2014, 22:50
Yeah sounds like the sort of thing that'll make guys in my group groan loudly. How did this work in previous editions?

Ramius4
18-05-2014, 23:32
Yeah sounds like the sort of thing that'll make guys in my group groan loudly. How did this work in previous editions?

Irrelavent. There were no "spell types" other than Magic Missile in previous editions. Basically the only spells you could cast into combat were ones that specifically said so (and there were very few).

larabic
23-05-2014, 19:55
What happens to a unit in a building that a vortex moves over?

theunwantedbeing
23-05-2014, 19:57
What happens to a unit in a building that a vortex moves over?

You follow the rules for templates hitting buildings with units in them.

orionwoodking
24-05-2014, 06:10
One thing I would remind people to note is that the template cannot be placed so that it on top of units in combat or friendly units (before scatter)

theunwantedbeing
24-05-2014, 12:21
One thing I would remind people to note is that the template cannot be placed so that it on top of units in combat or friendly units (before scatter)

That's for Direct Damage spells.
Magical Vortexes are not Direct Damage spells, so aren't limited in where the template goes, the only restriction is that the template has to be in base contact with the caster and it's centre must not be outside the front arc of the caster.

orionwoodking
24-05-2014, 12:28
That's for Direct Damage spells.
Magical Vortexes are not Direct Damage spells, so aren't limited in where the template goes, the only restriction is that the template has to be in base contact with the caster and it's centre must not be outside the front arc of the caster.

Ah, you are right. Thanks for that...purple sun just got alot better :P

MOMUS
25-05-2014, 17:32
Lol purple sun has always been this good.

dont forget if you kill the unit in combat with a spell before you attack you get a free reform! :D