PDA

View Full Version : Ante Up Your Games

Royals
20-05-2014, 14:47
I've been discussing something with my local GW manager and I've done this with a few of my friends, and I want to know what you guys think.

Whenever we play a game, we ante up a dice. To start, you put one die in your ante. If your army is not completely painted, you ante up another die. If you are proxying a model, you ante up another die. The same holds true for your opponent. During the game, you can choose to use the dice in your opponents' ante to gain a reroll. If you win the game, you win the pot.

This is of course done for fun and no one is forced to do it. I even give the dice back. I find that this helps motivate players to get their models assembled and painted. I've also been thinking about how to implement this into a campaign/escalation league.

Theocracity
20-05-2014, 14:54
Ha! I like that as an optional rule for a club.

Shiodome
20-05-2014, 15:00
the use of a reroll is a nice idea. but can't say i'd want even more dice.

Zombie P
20-05-2014, 15:09
My local GW manager has started doing something similar to that, although its just one called a "painted army re-roll". It has decided a few games now and people are starting to feel the effects. It still hasn't made anyone only bring painted armies, but there is an even great appreciation of a fully painted army now.

I like your idea of the multiples, and I might bring it up next time I am down at my local store.

ZP

Disposable Hero
20-05-2014, 16:48
Superduper plan!

Theocracity
20-05-2014, 16:53
the use of a reroll is a nice idea. but can't say i'd want even more dice.

Just keep them as trophies then - kept on display to taunt your opponents, daring them to win them back. :D

Royals
20-05-2014, 16:56
Just keep them as trophies then - kept on display to taunt your opponents, daring them to win them back. :D

Yeah, I am holding on to one particular player's Khorne die.

Theolla
20-05-2014, 18:29
I like that as a house rule idea. It seems tricky to motivate people to paint their stuff; I know I struggle with it. This looks like a great way to reward those who do more than just game, but without giving out too much of an advantage.

Fox Of 9
20-05-2014, 18:31
This might be the motivation I need to paint my army.. as currently I think I have a tank painted and that's it..

David.

druchii
20-05-2014, 18:37
I've been discussing something with my local GW manager and I've done this with a few of my friends, and I want to know what you guys think.

Whenever we play a game, we ante up a dice. To start, you put one die in your ante. If your army is not completely painted, you ante up another die. If you are proxying a model, you ante up another die. The same holds true for your opponent. During the game, you can choose to use the dice in your opponents' ante to gain a reroll. If you win the game, you win the pot.

This is of course done for fun and no one is forced to do it. I even give the dice back. I find that this helps motivate players to get their models assembled and painted. I've also been thinking about how to implement this into a campaign/escalation league.

That's pretty cool. We've almost always played it that painted models have Preferred Enemy: Unpainted models.

Works pretty well!

Although I dunno how excited I would be to possibly lose some of my favorite dice...and definitely don't need more dice!

d

Royals
20-05-2014, 20:16
It's really help me get motivated to paint. I have a Nephilim that I am slowly painting that will put me at just north of 1,000pts of completely painted Dark Angels. It would be great to see this picked up by others as inspiration to paint.

I am sure this could be worked into missions in the new edition as well. Imagine every time you score a Victory Point from an Objective in a game you get a die. You can then use that die as a one time reroll. If you're playing in a League or Campaign, you could take any unused dice from your pool and bank them. You can choose to use them as rerolls in later games or you can add D6x5 points to your army.

HelloKitty
20-05-2014, 20:48
It uses painted models hate unpainted models. Its group also uses this. The hate even applies when it shoots.

yabbadabba
20-05-2014, 20:50
I find that this helps motivate players to get their models assembled and painted. Nice if they need it, kind of patronising of they don't want to paint or need to proxy. I know you said it is optional, but I think there are better targets.

I've also been thinking about how to implement this into a campaign/escalation league. Do it behaviours, good sportsmen etc. Don't do it on painting and models/modelling.

tiger g
20-05-2014, 21:17
Nice if they need it, kind of patronising of they don't want to paint or need to proxy. I know you said it is optional, but I think there are better targets.
Do it behaviours, good sportsmen etc. Don't do it on painting and models/modelling.

Why. If this store/group wants painted models on the table it is their option and business plan to do. It might discourage some and some may not play but it is their model. Cannot force anyone to paint but and in the long run it may cost them customers but they want to present the game as hobby that requires completion of models. Same with the campaign. We do it all of the time. we have lost a few but the ones that painted are going strong. There is nothing wrong with playing with non painted models but an incentive is not bad for some groups.

yabbadabba
20-05-2014, 21:28
Why. If this store/group wants painted models on the table it is their option and business plan to do. It might discourage some and some may not play but it is their model. Cannot force anyone to paint but and in the long run it may cost them customers but they want to present the game as hobby that requires completion of models. Same with the campaign. We do it all of the time. we have lost a few but the ones that painted are going strong. There is nothing wrong with playing with non painted models but an incentive is not bad for some groups. This is not an incentive though in a broader sense, it is a punishment for those who do not want to paint, or who find painting too difficult. Where it becomes a positive incentive is only ina specific environment like this player describes - within a group where everyone wants to and can paint, buy the right models and/or convert and everyone has chosen to opt in to such measures. In a group where any one of those factors are limiting to one or more individuals, then it becomes a punishment or a negative incentive.

Now I am not saying that a certain group should choose a set of criteria within which to enjoy their hobby but care has to be taken as circumstances often change. As with everything about this hobby, incentives should be social based, and therefore encourage the right behaviours. Instead of penalising someone for not having models painted, gift someone for helping another who struggles with painting, and so on. Don't be zero sum about things. Be positive, not negative.

Slayer-Fan123
21-05-2014, 07:10
Sometimes we do mini tournies and the loser buys the winner dinner and a round of beverages.

Royals
22-05-2014, 14:27
This is what happens when games get serious!