PDA

View Full Version : 2500 SCGT comped High Elves

SAS
21-05-2014, 17:03
Hi, I know I already have a thread with a HE list using the SCGT comp but I thought it wise to start a new thread to avoid confusion.

I'm thinking of using this list for one of the largest tournaments in Sweden. As with the Alith Anar list I have chosen to go with stuff that I already own inorder to save some money.

To start of I'll just say that I know that the list is soft, but that is kind of the point. Having a soft list gives advantages which helps you getting to choose deployment, sides and to go first. I'm guessing that my list is softer that the average list that will show up at the tournament but it gives me options to easily toughen it up by adding BotWD, BoH or WLs. So it would be great if you look at the list and keep it in mind that I'm not looking for the meanest list possible but a list that is competitive without being utter filth ;) A list is which comps in at 3-4 would be alright, Keep in mind that 20+ WL with BotWD counts as 3 hard choices :P Now enough chatter, here's the list:

Archmage lvl 4 Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance, 275 pts

Noble, Heavy Armour, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Pot of Foolhardiness, Griffon, Swooping strike, Swiftsense, 319 pts (Glass cannon I know)

1 Noble (BSB) Dragon Armour, Sword of Might, Shield of the Merwyrm, 140 pts

15 Archers, Musician 160 pts

15 Archers, Musician 160 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bow + Spears 95 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bow + Spears 95 pts

5 Silver Helms, Shields 115 pts

14 Swordmasters of Hoeth, Champ, 192 pts (Flankers)

20 Phoenix Guard, Razor Standard, 375 pts (Bunker)

10 Shadow Warriors, 140 pts (Warmachine hunters)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

Frostheart Phoenix, 240 pts

Great Eagle, 50 pts (Re-director, warmachine hunter)

Total Roster Cost: 2496

Soft Choices: Shadow warriors, Noble on griffon.

Hard Choices: Bolt Throwers, Frostheart Phoenix.

Comp score: 5 - 2 + 2 = 5

Shadoer
21-05-2014, 23:35
Hello,

Ok here's my thoughts

1. Hammers

Right now your biggest problem is you don't have many ways of delivering pain. Your Swordmasters are a bit too small, the Phoenix Guard don't pack too much of a punch, and your Griffin as you Frost Phoenix are artillery bait.

Now I'm not saying to go all out "101 White Lions of World Dragon Fun" here but you need to beef up your actual hitting power.

If you could manage the models I'd recommend doing the following
- Dropping the Griffen, take the same hero on an Elven Steed instead.
- Increasing the number of Silverhelms to 9 with full command, then putting a hero in the unit.
- Taking two units of 12 Swordmasters with two ranks, acting as flankers still but having more board control
- Take your archers into one unit of 30 and horde them. That way they can't easily be taken down by light cavalry and skirmishers and you can rank them up for steadfast if the enemy engages. For that matter, you might want to give them command.

You lose the griffen, but the extra unit of Swordmasters and the beefed up silver helms I think will pay dividends for you in the end. You can do more and there is a bit less the enemy can try and nail you with.

2. Saving Money

Just as an aside, since you want to use the models you have, keep in mind a lot of tournaments (and I believe this one) will let you fudge things a little by adding bits of terrain to your units as part of a "diorama" to make the unit look better. ie: A horde of ghouls and some bases have tombstones and other grave markers rather than actual ghouls in the back ranks, High Elves walking past rune stones, ect. They can count to your total model count so long as you don't go crazy. So it's a cheap way to bump up a unit of say 20 Phoenix Guards to say 25 with bits you probably have already. Plus it looks cool.

3. Magic

With a list like this, especially since the tournament is comped, I'd dump the dispel scroll and try and fit in the Book of Hoeth. You can use more hitting power and the book can help give you that.

Hope this helps.

SAS
22-05-2014, 06:34
Hi and thanks for the advice, I know the griffon is a glass cannon but its is one of my two soft choices, the other being the shadow warriors. Now as for following your advice, dropping the griffon and the disp scroll and adding the BoH would bring my comp to 3 which is acceptable. As for the punch in the list, I think I'll be hard pressed to fit in 9 SH prince/noble on stead and 2x12 SM. I don't want to lose the Reavers, Eagle or the PGs. I'll have to look into it more closely later.

I'll try my list tonight against empire, we'll se how it fares :) and as for unit fillers I'm working on a couple of those :)

Skickat från min GT-I9105P via Tapatalk

EvanM
22-05-2014, 15:21
well if you are facing empire... haha. I play both. you are gonna be faced with 2 units of 15 knights, demigryphs, and a steam tank. Against this, I think your army might have a hard time since those s3 bows and stuff will bounce off it.

on the other hand, if the empire player isnt a weenie then he'll bring infantry and you'll do fine.

SAS
26-05-2014, 18:07
So I re-worked the list a tiny bit. Removed the griffon lord and added a mounted noble, some SM and bumped the SHs up to 9. Now I did try the old list against WE this weekend and the griffon noble and Frostheart broke a unit of 6 treekin in one round and pretty much saved me the game, which goes to prove that he can be used as a hammer if you pick your targets. But I guess this new list gives me more options with two units which can act as hammers, SH + Noble and Swordmasters. Tell me what you think

Lords

Archmage, lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance 275pts

Heroes

Noble, Dragon Armour, Barbed steed, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, 145pts

Noble BSB, Dragon Armour, Reaver Bow, Shield of the Merwyrm 145pts

Core

15 Archers, musician 160 pts

15 Archers, musician 160 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, bow, spear 95 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, bow, spear 95 pts

9 Silver Helms, Shields 207 pts

Special

21 Swordmasters of Hoeth, FC 303 pts

18 Phoenix Guard, FC, Razor Standard 345pts

10 Shadow Warriors, 140 pts

Rare

1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

1 Frostheart Phoenix, 240 pts

1 Great Eagle, 50 pts

Total Roster Cost: 2500

Comp score: 5 - 2 + 1 = 4

EvanM
26-05-2014, 19:04
pretty good list, shadow warriors will be useful but still most people wouldnt have taken them, but do it anyway.

I kind of hate the phoenix but its so good that its not a high elf army without one.

SAS
26-05-2014, 19:07
The shadow warriors are a soft choice for a reason ;) but with a soft list I get advantages in the tournament. For example if my list is the softer I get to chose deployment. So I could chose battle for the pass and deploy my shadow warriors behibd enemy lines. I did that this weekend and they caused havoc :) The phoenix is lovely ;)

Skickat från min GT-I9105P via Tapatalk

chipperchopperchappi
27-05-2014, 08:34
you really really really need musicians in your reaver units otherwise they are pretty useless I'm afraid. No reform on fast cav makes them really immobile chaff.

SAS
27-05-2014, 14:24
I really don't need musicians on the reavers since they are fast cav and get free reforms :)