PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a faction. Would love your insight :).

Storm Empress
21-05-2014, 23:19
Hi everyone I'm quite new to this whole tabletop thing and am quite interested in starting an army to paint up and maybe game with occasionally.

Being a scfi/fantasy nerd the setting of 40k is quite interesting to me and the painting/modelling aspect is a huge draw for me.

Anyway overall I'm very divided on deciding on what army I should settle on and am hoping you can help me make my decision.

What I'm looking for as an army is one that has alit of unique in interesting characters and models. An enticing background and have the option of using female models. Orks I like also but mainly because of the grots cause I find them hilariously funny and adorable. I wanted to create a hardened grot female boss who has obtained countless grot followers to rebel against the orks and prove their worth to the universe as a whole. However I'm unsure if grots even have genders? Are they fungi like orks or do they actually breed and reproduce?

Woops I've gone on for a bit but any help would be amazing.

Bye xx

Theocracity
21-05-2014, 23:23
Hi everyone I'm quite new to this whole tabletop thing and am quite interested in starting an army to paint up and maybe game with occasionally.

Being a scfi/fantasy nerd the setting of 40k is quite interesting to me and the painting/modelling aspect is a huge draw for me.

Anyway overall I'm very divided on deciding on what army I should settle on and am hoping you can help me make my decision.

What I'm looking for as an army is one that has alit of unique in interesting characters and models. An enticing background and have the option of using female models. Orks I like also but mainly because of the grots cause I find them hilariously funny and adorable. I wanted to create a hardened grot female boss who has obtained countless grot followers to rebel against the orks and prove their worth to the universe as a whole. However I'm unsure if grots even have genders? Are they fungi like orks or do they actually breed and reproduce?

Woops I've gone on for a bit but any help would be amazing.

Bye xx

Welcome!

Orks don't technically have genders, but there's nothing stopping you from giving it to them via crafty modeling. I've spent some thought cycles on how to give the traditionally masculine Orks a feminine character - might share them when I get some time.

Navar
21-05-2014, 23:53
IIRC Orks are technically plants or Fungi? They reproduce by budding.

Storm Empress
22-05-2014, 00:05
Oh I know orks do I'm more curious about Gretchen. They aren't quite as clear to me.

murgel2006
22-05-2014, 00:09
Well, you want some girls so no Marines and no Soritas.
GW does currently not have females in the Imperial army models so they are out as well. Craftworld Eldar have females however the Dark Eldar models are much nicer.
Frankly, I suggest Soritas who are all female and are nice models, my however not be a cheap or winning army. OR a Dark Eldar kabale build with mostly females.
Eldar and Darkeldar kits mix quite well, so an Eldar army is possible as well.

Smooth Boy
22-05-2014, 00:39
I think Gretchen follow the same rules as Orks. Orks did have genders at one point and when they changed it people weren't happy so I think Gretchen were left be to save them agro. Having said that I think Space Orks make a good army, there's something about them that keeps people interested. The two players I know who started 40K with Orks still have their armies years later, people just seem to be able to obsess over them. Also they don't take themselves too seriously and they're fun to paint and model for. But on your condition that there be a gender balance I would maybe suggest Eldar, same things apply, not as much convertibility but they're fun to paint if you follow the aspect warriors. Feel free to look at Sisters of Battle but if you're new to war gaming I wouldn't recommend an all metal range.

I'd do a Gretchen army, purely because I think Gretchen tanks are glorious. Even if Orks & Gretchen don't have genders there's some good opportunities to customise one. Surley greenskins have no concept of sexuality or gender so I guess there's nothing stopping the boss having a more 'feminine' look.

MrKeef
22-05-2014, 00:42
Neither orks nor grots have genders, but that doesn't mean you can't model them to be more feminine.

Sadly there's not that many female models or characters for the 40k universe. If you were trying to include women in your army I would suggest taking Eldar or Dark Eldar as they have a roughly even split gender wise, of about 50/50. Their background is elves and dark elves in space and have a unique place in the 40k universe. Both would be an easy army to start with and Eldar are one of the most powerful armies on the tabletop right now.

Sisters of battle or Adeptus Soriritas as they are also called are an entirely female army. They are humans wearing power armour which gives them a lot of protection on the battlefield and are basically warrior nuns. Sadly their range of models are all metal and ridiculously expensive, so I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. :/

While not many armies have many female characters, you could just pick any army and model it however you choose, I doubt anyone would have any problem with it. It would be a really cool army and one that would be fun to play against. :)

For any more questions you have, feel free to ask or check out Lexicanum.com if you haven't already for detail on the background.

Greyhound
22-05-2014, 02:33
Orks in the fluff don't have gender, but fluff isn't so important these days.

Storm Empress
22-05-2014, 02:39
Oh really how come? Does it get Retconned alot?

lethlis
22-05-2014, 03:27
In general there are small retcons but most of the time not so much.

Eldar/dark eldar is gonna be your best bet for working in a significant number of female models.

There is also sisters and oddly enough inquisition has tons of female models you can use.

Theocracity
22-05-2014, 03:32
Oh really how come? Does it get Retconned alot?

Not really, it's more that some people expect the fluff to be solid when it's always been a little more amorphous. I think that as long as you remain faithful to the character of what you're working with it's okay to stretch the limits of what's fluff acceptable.

To follow up on what I said earlier, Orks (and by extension all greenskins, including grots) are physically genderless per the fluff - but their character is so masculine that's it's hard to actually call them non-gendered. But in an earlier discussion of gender in 40k I actually brainstormed up a few (admittedly very broad) character types that were more 'feminine' in character while still retaining the feel of ork kultur.

A Snakebite crone, crazy and haggard but full of Wyrd power. A wiry Deff Skull mek with Tank Girl punk aesthetics. A Goff big momma who's protective of the warband but whose domineering rage is feared and whose orders are never questioned. A confident, cool Evil Sun whose kustom bike is constantly chased by lesser boyz who can't keep up.

Just a few random ideas. Feel free to do your own thing, and don't be afraid to model how you like or stretch the boundaries of the fluff.

ronin_cse
22-05-2014, 05:28
To me it seems like Tyranids are based a bit on an Ant or Bee hive...therefore most Tyranids are probably female, so I'd recommend them!

Slayer-Fan123
22-05-2014, 07:05
Don't bother starting Orks. They're supposed to get a new codex soon.

Grudgedesign
22-05-2014, 13:10
Um, I say the opposite, this is a perfect time to start collecting Orks.

And while Orks might no longer have sexes, they may very well still have genders. Just because the male gender type is common, doesn't mean that the female gender doesn't exist. It just requires lots of green stuff...

lethlis
22-05-2014, 13:28
I think it could be fun to do a eldar dark eldar exodite army combining eldar dark eldar high dark and wood elves. I think it could look fantastic with all the new plastics for all 5 of those ranges

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk