PDA

View Full Version : Most popular/overplayed army

Dark_Mage99
22-05-2014, 21:16
What army do you see the most, whether at tournaments or casual gaming?

Which do you wish you saw more of?

Sexiest_hero
22-05-2014, 21:28
whatever is the most broken at the moment, used to be DE and daemons, then skaven and LM then Ogres then Vampire counts blender bus and now back to WoC nurgle.

SpanielBear
22-05-2014, 22:01
WoC most popular, then equal HE and Dwarfs. After that, it's a regular pick and mix- Ogres, VC, Night Goblins, DE and my Woodies :)

Quite like to see more Empire or Bretts. The humble human is a bit under-represented in my neck of the woods.

ragingdrone
22-05-2014, 22:20
I would like to see more bretts (not the one color schemed bretts) and more chaos dwaves. Popular armies that sould be WoC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rudra34
22-05-2014, 22:23
WoC is the clear winner.

I wouldn't mind seeing more beast armies, I think they are better than people give them credit. Though they have some trouble keeping up as the meta changes.

CountUlrich
22-05-2014, 22:33
He to a lesser extent, but de especially are overplayed in my meta.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Artinam
22-05-2014, 22:36
Warriors... I mean chariots of Chaos with classic Nurgle Daemonsprince.

Malagor
22-05-2014, 22:51
Where I play it's actually a nice mix of all the armies but I would say that the High Elves got a slight edge.

Mr. Ultra
22-05-2014, 22:56
Warriors of Chaos form the win. Period.

The least seen army in my zone is by far, Beastmen. We have three Brets (one of them it's me), some Woodies, a lot of the Chaos guys has Chaos Dwarfs as allies, but I am still to see a single goatman. The general consenus is that bad book+ugly models+lots of finecast= no beasts!

Sexiest_hero
22-05-2014, 23:47
The gor are the best looking core in game, the book is good but only 3 builds, only the rare section is really bad. Shame more people don't try them.

Mr. Ultra
23-05-2014, 00:19
The gor are the best looking core in game

A wee categorical, don't you think? I know a lot of people who would desagree.

the book is good but only 3 builds, only the rare section is really bad.

"Only 3 viable lists+terrible rare section" and "a good book" seems a bit contradictory.

Shame more people don't try them.

Seeing the razorgor I wonder why...

SpanielBear
23-05-2014, 01:02
A wee categorical, don't you think? I know a lot of people who would desagree.

"Only 3 viable lists+terrible rare section" and "a good book" seems a bit contradictory.

Seeing the razorgor I wonder why...

Yeah, I like their core, but when it comes to pretty models my Dryads and Glade Guard say hi ;)

Like you say, the beasties ooze character. A new book and some new plastic specials, and they'll be up there. It happened for the Wood Elves, don't lose the faith! :)

Mr. Ultra
23-05-2014, 01:29
I had a Beastmen army back in ye olde good days of 5th edition, when all models were all metal. If they only release a plastic chariot, a decent looking razorgor and new character models, I would be happy to try again with the goaties.

Coldblood666
23-05-2014, 01:54
I had a Beastmen army back in ye olde good days of 5th edition, when all models were all metal. If they only release a plastic chariot, a decent looking razorgor and new character models, I would be happy to try again with the goaties.

Exactly. I've always loved Beastmen and all they need is one decent update with a few new kits and I'll be all over it!

olderplayer
23-05-2014, 03:48
Right now we see too much WoC followed by HE with some BOTWD unit and phoenixes. We see diversity in the WoC builds in part but you still get the 1+/5++/2++ to flaming nurgle DP and skullcrusher unit. Except for WoC we see a good mix of armies

dalezzz
23-05-2014, 07:16
Beastmen are excellent , they look the best are easy to paint and I personally have never lost with mine! ( maybe 20 games with them now? :D ) they are certainly not as bad as people seem to think, I'm sure they struggle against some of the more heavy hitting builds of course. Round my way it's High elves and empire that are most popular

Malagor
23-05-2014, 07:27
Beastmen are excellent , they look the best are easy to paint and I personally have never lost with mine! ( maybe 20 games with them now? :D ) they are certainly not as bad as people seem to think, I'm sure they struggle against some of the more heavy hitting builds of course. Round my way it's High elves and empire that are most popular
You are speaking in front of deaf ears.
Internet has proclaimed Beastmen to suck and no matter how many times people say otherwise, people won't listen.
Beastmen has gotten better and better as more 8e are released.

zunjinto
23-05-2014, 08:03
HE is the army im most used to see at tournaments. And what im hoping is that WE will be more popular with the new book. I would say beasts if that wasnt what im playing myself :)

Evil Hypnotist
23-05-2014, 08:26
The tournament I am playing in tomorrow has 17 Elf armies out of a total of 48 (9 High Elves, 7 Dark Elves and 1 Woody)

DruidNei
23-05-2014, 08:39
Exactly. I've always loved Beastmen and all they need is one decent update with a few new kits and I'll be all over it!

Look up Mierce Miniatures. They have great looking models that can be used as alternative to GW Beastmen. I have their minotaurs and razorgor equivalent + some characters. Bad thing is those are expensive, but well worth the price imho. The old book is quite good if you're not playing in uber competitive meta. Still able to get a powerful magic phase via herdstone and has access to cheap chaff units.

dalezzz
23-05-2014, 09:41
I have the Minotaur set from their first kickstarter too , they are superb , I also have their Ghorgon and he is also amazing

Folomo
23-05-2014, 14:54
WoC and empire around here. In the last tournament almost 1/3 of the players where WoC and another 1/3 where Empire.

Landonelf
25-05-2014, 01:44
I am going to a big tournament next weekend with 96 people. Here are the breakdown of armies. I think it gives a pretty good idea of the current meta in the Southeast United States, with the only exception being Woodelves. As their new book was a little too close to the list-deadline. I foresee their presence growing as models get assembled/painted.

2 Bretonnians
2 Chaos Dwarfs
8 Daemons
8 Dark Elves
8 Dwarfs
10 Empire
8 High Elves
7 Lizardmen
8 Ogres
7 O&G
9 Skaven!!
2 TK
6 VC
10 WoC
1 Wood Elf

Caiphas Cain
25-05-2014, 03:35
Fantasy has a decent mix of players compared to 40k. Obviously there aren't as many people playing Tomb Kings, WE, or Brets, but there's some nice variety otherwise.

Shadoer
25-05-2014, 06:03
There's also a point to be made that the most popular armies have a bit to do with the fluff that goes with it.

The Empire, Dark Elves, Chaos Warriors, Daemons, High Elves, Dwarves, Vampire Counts, and Orks have tons of awesome stories that people love and inspire them to play the game. A good part of what drives people to these armies is that they have all of these neat fluff caveats about them that are really cool.

Wood Elves, Bretonians, Skaven, and Lizardmen... not so much. Outside their respective army books, there isn't much there about them and their hero's aren't all that inspiring. They are cool and different and their concepts are inspiring, but there isn't much stories or characters there for people to rally behind and say "that's so cool".

Then there's Ogres, Beastmen, and Tomb Kings... their fluff, outside their general history and concept is "meh" at best and they barely figure into any of the stories. Ogres are sort of just there, raiding isolated settlements, and eating stuff. Beastmen are just annoying badguys that live in forests. And Tomb Kings just guard their tombs and are trying to restore their empire in lands that don't concern the other main races. There's very little written, comparatively, about them and it's hard to get really inspired about them as a result.

Spiney Norman
25-05-2014, 06:54
Locally we have more Warriors of chaos players than any other, here is a rough breakdown of our local club, all armies are represented except for chaos dwarfs. The numbers below represent individual armies not individual players, so for example I am one of the Tomb King, Orc and Goblin, Lizardmen and wood elf numbers. They represent armies that have been played at least once in the last few months or so at our club.

Warriors of chaos - 5
Empire - 4
Wood elves - 4
High elves - 3
Dark elves - 3
Tomb kings - 3
Lizardmen - 3
Orcs & goblins - 2
Ogres - 2
Dwarfs - 2
Daemons of chaos - 1
Skaven - 1
Vampire counts - 1
Bretonnians - 1
Beastmen - 1

Wood elves are certainly riding high on the wave of their new book, there were only two wood elf players in our group a month ago (myself and one other), but Empire and Chaos have always been universally popular.

Yowzo
25-05-2014, 10:58

Try orc chariots with minotaur shields as wheels and gor crew.

As per razorgors, anything hairy and beast-ish that fits in the base does the part.

childsoldier
25-05-2014, 13:43
My group is probably not the best example as we've only really gotten into Fantasy in the last 6 months or so and we're still a small group, but we have two Lizardmen, and one each of DE (me), HE, O&G, Ogres, Empire, VC, Daemons, as well as one Skaven player who hasn't been able to make it down all that much. As we were all getting into it at the same time it was kind of silently agreed that people wouldn't all go for the same armies. It's definitely a lot more diverse than our 40k armies which is about 50% power armour (Space Marines of varying flavours).

On the subject of Beastmen, I love the feel of them and find their models for the most part very good, with a few exceptions (here's looking at you, Razorgor). If I ever do a second army I'd be very tempted by them.

boli
25-05-2014, 14:55
There is an "unwritten understanding" that games are never the same army fighting each other and if some wants to start a new army it must be different... Although there are only 4 of us in the group ;)

And yes beastmen are easy to paint I did 1.5k in about 3 months

PlasticSwap.Com
26-05-2014, 04:09
Over here in the NorthWest I see mainly Warriors of Chaos as the most played of the "darker" factions. I see High Elves as the most played as the "lighter" factions.

Karak Norn Clansman
26-05-2014, 06:54
On tournaments it's obviously Dark Cheese, but at least more than half of the armies you see in Warhammer are anything other than Elves. That can't be said for power armour in 40k. :p

EvanM
26-05-2014, 07:26
okay first off in 40k literally 90% of players (mostly noobz) play space marines... :p playing fantasy means you are already in the lower 1/3 of GW gamers, the top 2/3 being 40k players.

yeah everyone will agree its WoC, overplayed/most popular, followed by high elves.

its mostly because they are two elite armies and can raeppp people.

if you want to be unique then collect beastmen. they suck right now but if they get an 8th ed book (ever) then that will indefinitely make them amazing

SteveW
26-05-2014, 08:02
In my gaming group of 20-24 people the dark elves were overplayed to the extreme until the new Wood Elf book dropped. Now its WE's, HE's, DE's, WoC in order of popularity with only two of us(including myself) playing brets and nobody playing beastmen or tomb kings. Next league im dusting of my casket of souls and polishing up mu chariot wheels unless the new bret boo drops. Or if everyone switches to brets I will switch away from the new shiny like usual.

EvanM
26-05-2014, 18:11
is bretonnia fair to play? i thought their book wasnt glaringly bad.

CountUlrich
26-05-2014, 18:30
is bretonnia fair to play? i thought their book wasnt glaringly bad.

It needs some tweaks and some variety, as well as some points adjustments, but the idea that it is glaringly bad is bullcrap/rubbish. There is a player in this region who has won 2 major GTs, and finished second in another in the last 2 years with his Brets, and was the highest finishing player in this region at the US Masters tournament, again with his Brets. There are other examples of guys who do just fine with them as well.

They are in need of a new book and being brought up to date, but they can be very tough to play against.

Bladelord
26-05-2014, 18:50
WoC, Vampire Counts & any type of Elves are quite popular.

I wish there were more people using Gnoblar Kingdoms & Dogs of War... those armies are extinct as far as I know.

Trains_Get_Robbed
26-05-2014, 19:09
On tournament circuits: WoC, Empire, Demons, both flavor of Elves and then Ogres. Those armies are either left over from prior editions and have already pre-established fan bases or were/are flavor of the meta -ie; looks at Ogres-and as a result are still played.

How much WE will change the scope of the meta is entirely dependent on effective use of Waywatchers and their implementation against the influx of armor in the meta. Frankly at the current time, WE are arguably the best book out because they're the perfect anti-meta -answer taking Empire's spot- while still being able to hold their own against elite infantry lists and the proliferation of middle of the pack armies like LM and VC.

It will be interesting to see if TK and Skaven will come out o the woodwork again as they both now have more favorable matchups as opposed to the monster mash PSX derp that is WoC and double Phoenixes etc. . .

It's exciting times for the Warhammer tournament meta and as a result what we'll see as prevalent will change until the new AB of Skaven much down the road.

Wesser
28-05-2014, 07:48

Weeell

We are talking about an army fleshed out from what used to be ONE unit...

It largely plays as brown Orcs, and while their models are fairly good I personally find them to devoid of character in the same way as Daemons and Lizardmen.

Their fluff is... well just being Beasts who poo in the forest and don't like buildings. They feel like animals and that makes them boring because (I at least) can't really connect with that sort of background.

You could say I find Beastmen overused (even though I've barely played against them) because I frankly don't see them having a place in the game.

Then again...after a Tournament with 6 games total and 5 of those against WoC....

Mr.Sparkle
28-05-2014, 09:12
Woc is very popular in these parts, perfect blend of a strong book, good fluff, and low model count so easy to paint and transport.

SteveW
28-05-2014, 09:36
Their fluff is... well just being Beasts who poo in the forest and don't like buildings. They feel like animals and that makes them boring because (I at least) can't really connect with that sort of background.

This is exactly why I couldn't get into playing lizards. No character to connect too. So for me it will always be Duke Ramulots of Bastone or Warboss Broketoof of the gray mountains.

Malagor
28-05-2014, 10:01
if you want to be unique then collect beastmen. they suck right now but if they get an 8th ed book (ever) then that will indefinitely make them amazing
Nope, they sucked at the start of 8e, these days however the book is good.
Better then some 8e books *looks at Tomb Kings*

Doommasters
29-05-2014, 21:18
If they make mino's amazing I would build a beastmen army. Sadly I can't see this happening.

ashc
29-05-2014, 22:06
Has the hubbub over Ogre Kingdoms died down then? I remember upon release people lamenting the dawn of Mournfang cavalry.

Snake1311
30-05-2014, 08:51
Has the hubbub over Ogre Kingdoms died down then? I remember upon release people lamenting the dawn of Mournfang cavalry.

Warrior, Deamon and Dark Elf powerlists are a bad matchup for them, they got meta'd by the books after them.

Metacarpi
30-05-2014, 09:00
Warrior, Deamon and Dark Elf powerlists are a bad matchup for them, they got meta'd by the books after them.

This. Maybe it's just in my local meta, but there seems to be a general increase in the number of 1/2+ AS cavalry being fielded, and as such use of the Lore of Metal is rampant. People seem to be more inclined to leave stuff like MFC at home now.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 13:49
Weeell

We are talking about an army fleshed out from what used to be ONE unit...

It largely plays as brown Orcs, and while their models are fairly good I personally find them to devoid of character in the same way as Daemons and Lizardmen.

You could say I find Beastmen overused (even though I've barely played against them) because I frankly don't see them having a place in the game.

Then again...after a Tournament with 6 games total and 5 of those against WoC....

Morgur man! The indestructible corruptor with its constant war with ariel is quite cool!

From my servoskull

warhammerscotlandplayer
30-05-2014, 13:54
Warriors of Chaos, everyone has them.

Or usually as soon as a new edition, starter set comes out. At my club i was the only Skaven and High elves player. (IOB was terrific for me) not long after we had 2 HE and 1 Skaven player. Boring!