PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, GW spies, please update the FAQ's now, its post release.

Ananiel
23-05-2014, 21:13
Go, ahead, call the tech and tell him to update the web page at the Black Library so we can have the FAQ's now please.

I paid $85 extortion units, may I please have a modicum of game support

Ananiel

Menthak
23-05-2014, 21:14
*shots fired, waits for response*

You'll just have to be patient my friend.

Loopstah
23-05-2014, 21:37
Now it's Black Library doing the FAQs rather than GW it wouldn't surprise me if we had to wait until Tuesday for them to upload them. :(

SpanielBear
24-05-2014, 00:46
You fools! Now, if they release the FAQs, they'll be admitting they have spies on warseer. It would blow their cover!
Congratulations, you've pushed the FAQs back by another year...

AngryAngel
24-05-2014, 00:51
What if its months before a FAQ ? Did I miss a promise of FAQS ? Or are we assuming there will be some ?

Voss
24-05-2014, 01:01
What if its months before a FAQ ? Did I miss a promise of FAQS ? Or are we assuming there will be some ?
Assuming, hoping. For there to be a promise of FAQs, GW would have to communicate with their customers in some fashion.

AngryAngel
24-05-2014, 01:04
GW wouldn't speak its customers, it hates us, and is busy counting all the precious it has, that people spent on new rule books this weekend.

ihavetoomuchminis
24-05-2014, 01:05
Assuming, hoping. For there to be a promise of FAQs, GW would have to communicate with their customers in some fashion.

And ever more....to care, listen and pay attention to them!!

ehlijen
24-05-2014, 01:43
Maybe we should at least wait till Monday, ie the first business day after release (which btw still hasn't happened in all parts of the world yet, sunrise isn't even halfway around the globe as I type this)?

Mandragola
24-05-2014, 01:49
Bad news for non-UK gamers. Monday is actually a public holiday here, so I'm afraid it's not likely that much will happen.

MarshalFaust
24-05-2014, 02:13
not to worry, im sure soon you will be able to purchase Warhammer 40K: Emendation for $49.99 to bring all the Armies of the Imperium into line with 7th ed.

Sephillion
24-05-2014, 03:10

Well, there are certain gear and rules interactions that are uncertain, so I'm guessing there will be a few updates in the coming days.

Of course, it would just make sense to update somethings for balance (the value of special characters making some units troops has decreased somewhat now that everything is scoring and all, for instance), but I just expect some clarifications.

Losing Command
24-05-2014, 05:41
Here's hoping they clarify what Ahriman's staff does now. It allowed for 3 witchfire powers in the shooting phase, but I can't imagine that still being the case ...

DoctorTom
24-05-2014, 05:46

Actually, they did promise some FAQ updates, they said it when they were transferring the FAQs from their old spot to being with Black Library.

Harwammer
24-05-2014, 10:47
If this is important to you send them an email.

They read their emails, they don't really pay attention to forums. You'd be surprised about how much of the internet noise they are completely unaware of just because no one actually bothers to contact GW/BL directly.

Denny
24-05-2014, 13:14
If this is important to you send them an email.

They read their emails, they don't really pay attention to forums. You'd be surprised about how much of the internet noise they are completely unaware of just because no one actually bothers to contact GW/BL directly.

This. Anyone who thinks GW has spies on these forums is seriously overestimating the importance GW places on our online rants. :wtf:

GW don't read the internet people! :mad:

duffybear1988
24-05-2014, 13:30
They also don't pay any attention to phone calls, letters or emails beyond saying "thanks, we'll take that into consideration" and then doing nothing. I wouldn't bother wasting your time and energy. GW does what GW pleases.

Evil_D185
24-05-2014, 13:49
They also don't pay any attention to phone calls, letters or emails beyond saying "thanks, we'll take that into consideration" and then doing nothing. I wouldn't bother wasting your time and energy. GW does what GW pleases.

Ahhh lovely GW customer service that I allways hear about !;)

hobojebus
24-05-2014, 13:55

Well why not that could never backfire on them could it *wanders off to beat a stormtrooper to death with his hydrospanner*

duffybear1988
24-05-2014, 14:02

I'm not saying the customer service is bad for everything - those people have only ever been friendly and helpful, it's just that the higher ups rarely if ever listen to what gamers say.

For example look at the last 2 White Dwarf reboots. The editor asks what people want to see and then doesn't deliver any of it, leading to the magazine being ridiculed by most gamers. Then they announce that this version of WD has been such a huge success that they are changing it up again (which makes no sense no matter which way you look at it). This new style is even worse than the previous style and we get heaps of people writing to GW and getting responses that can basically be summed up as "it's tough you don't like it". Their entire logic is flawed and their magazines are bombing. Instead of listening to people they ignored them and now Visions doesn't sell and WDW isn't much better.

The management just do not have a clue.

hobojebus
24-05-2014, 14:09
I remember when wd was something you looked forward to each month, would there be rules for jousting, would they give you a free necron along with rules how to use him and his buddies, now it's just one big advertisement.

Yeah the card board buildings were a little crap and the free mini was meant to get you buying more ( and it did necron player since 2nd) but it was far less blatant about it, now it's two pages of an article followed by four of adverts.

Ananiel
24-05-2014, 14:28
The real shame is the loss of the GW community site. Great way to keep in touch with staff (I had great convos w/ Gav Thorpe about Fantasy) and they could feel the pulse of the community. But like every other anti-internet decision they make, the shutting down of this feedback channel was an extension of that silly line of thought.

Ananiel

hobojebus
24-05-2014, 14:31
The real shame is the loss of the GW community site. Great way to keep in touch with staff (I had great convos w/ Gav Thorpe about Fantasy) and they could feel the pulse of the community. But like every other anti-internet decision they make, the shutting down of this feedback channel was an extension of that silly line of thought.

Ananiel

Hubris is the downfall of many people, they didn't like the feed back they got so decided to lock them selves away from the mean customer and do what they thought made sense, which is why they don't understand why so many left but didn't get replaced by New kids.

wyvirn
24-05-2014, 15:43

Ananiel

Tell you the truth, if I read what I read in GW general when I started playing, there is no way that would have started playing. Forums tend to act as a review site to only the most recent activities of the company, so a small, unintentional flummox could inadvertently drive new players away.

duffybear1988
24-05-2014, 16:06
Tell you the truth, if I read what I read in GW general when I started playing, there is no way that would have started playing. Forums tend to act as a review site to only the most recent activities of the company, so a small, unintentional flummox could inadvertently drive new players away.

Most of the complaints in GW General Games Workshop brought upon themselves. They lied about finecast and then refused to accept it was a bad product. They increased prices for no reason at all. The rules are poor because they are lazy, and WD is useless because they changed it and didn't listen to readers who told them it was a bad idea. Reinholt summed it up pretty well the other day - their managers haven't got a clue.

AngryAngel
24-05-2014, 16:19

There are few things I'll defend GW on. Their customer service reps have always been excellent and helpful if I've had any issues. So while their prices are daft, and their rule writing lazy and general out look gob smacking. Their customer service is I'd say superior to most I've ever had to deal with. It is more they couldn't be bothered to listen to their customer service reps, even if they would tell them our words, not the reps fault, just how the system works.

Most of the complaints in GW General Games Workshop brought upon themselves. They lied about finecast and then refused to accept it was a bad product. They increased prices for no reason at all. The rules are poor because they are lazy, and WD is useless because they changed it and didn't listen to readers who told them it was a bad idea. Reinholt summed it up pretty well the other day - their managers haven't got a clue.

Most companies claim at least to like and use feedback from consumers, which is the exact opposite of GW. They also never wish to hear when they have buggered things up, which is unfortunate when they do such a good amount. The longer they follow this disconnect, the more distance and greater wedge they draw between them and a fair number of their customer base, till they leave the game/hobby. A consumer driven company can not just seal itself away from the consumer base its for, without there being some negative outcomes and it making some serious wtf decisions. Both of which we've seen with this company.

Edit: Just because when GW put up the new faqs on the black library and said they'd put new FAQS up, is no reason to believe we'll get them sooner as opposed to later. I remember when they placed them up, people hoped they'd actually be updated, which was quite false at the time as well. I'm not going to hold my breath on a FAQ, I'd suggest everyone just be patient.

Harwammer
25-05-2014, 01:39
Keep in mind this is a UK based company and in the UK it is a 'bank holiday' meaning business is largely cancelled till Tuesday as most staff are on leave.

Voss
25-05-2014, 01:44
Keep in mind this is a UK based company and in the UK it is a 'bank holiday' meaning business is largely cancelled till Tuesday as most staff are on leave.

And it is 2014. They had all of last week (and before) to set the website to auto-update with FAQs when today dawned.

That it will be a holiday sometime in the future is literally no excuse for not updating a webpage.

hobojebus
25-05-2014, 01:55
And it is 2014. They had all of last week (and before) to set the website to auto-update with FAQs when today dawned.

That it will be a holiday sometime in the future is literally no excuse for not updating a webpage.

Your expecting too much from a company that's still run like it's the 90s, the managers are clueless about technology I doubt they have much support in the IT office, if they even have an IT office.

Voss
25-05-2014, 01:58
Your expecting too much from a company that's still run like it's the 90s, the managers are clueless about technology I doubt they have much support in the IT office, if they even have an IT office.

Oh, I don't expect it. I'm just saying there is no reason it couldn't be done. They wouldn't even need to do anything beyond change which files the existing links access.

boreas
25-05-2014, 12:35
Wow, how stupid can it be to release a major rulebook on a Holiday but make no plans for the FAQs? GW's amateurism is just shocking...

hobojebus
25-05-2014, 12:44
Wow, how stupid can it be to release a major rulebook on a Holiday but make no plans for the FAQs? GW's amateurism is just shocking...

OBJECTION! This is exactly the incompetence we've all come to expect and it boggles the mind that any one expects better.

Splen
28-05-2014, 11:49
The FAQs are up. Only three days after release.

hobojebus
28-05-2014, 12:58
The FAQs are up. Only three days after release.

And now everyone wishes they weren't, pity those that bought three heldrakes thinking they'd rule the skies forever.

duffybear1988
28-05-2014, 13:06
My biggest worry now is that they will change the FAQs in a few months time. For example currently I can take an allied DE force with webway portal in my Eldar army and my Eldar can make use of it. In the past the errata outlawed this. How do we know they won't go back and change it so they can't use them again in a months time? It makes planning and building an army a real pain in the behind. I was expecting them to keep the same rulings as last time, with maybe a couple of modifications. The fact that they have missed out entire pages of previous FAQs and errata leaves me worried as there was no need to miss them out. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

Sephillion
28-05-2014, 14:32
And now everyone wishes they weren't, pity those that bought three heldrakes thinking they'd rule the skies forever.

...is it sarcasm or not? I can't tell. Heldrake is OP with or without turret, turret just made it enter "Completely ridiculously OP" territory, but I read some comments from CSM players who were actually disappointed in it, so hard to say.

My biggest worry now is that they will change the FAQs in a few months time. For example currently I can take an allied DE force with webway portal in my Eldar army and my Eldar can make use of it. In the past the errata outlawed this. How do we know they won't go back and change it so they can't use them again in a months time? It makes planning and building an army a real pain in the behind. I was expecting them to keep the same rulings as last time, with maybe a couple of modifications. The fact that they have missed out entire pages of previous FAQs and errata leaves me worried as there was no need to miss them out. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

I see what you mean. The old DA FAQ specifically prevented the PFG from working inside vehicles (apart from protecting those inside the vehicle…); right now, it seems it works as it used to before FAQ, i.e. from the inside, and with a 3” bubble around it. That would be amazing, but since the old FAQ prevented this, I hesitate to make a list for it.

NemoSD
28-05-2014, 14:57
I'm not saying the customer service is bad for everything - those people have only ever been friendly and helpful, it's just that the higher ups rarely if ever listen to what gamers say.

For example look at the last 2 White Dwarf reboots. The editor asks what people want to see and then doesn't deliver any of it, leading to the magazine being ridiculed by most gamers. Then they announce that this version of WD has been such a huge success that they are changing it up again (which makes no sense no matter which way you look at it). This new style is even worse than the previous style and we get heaps of people writing to GW and getting responses that can basically be summed up as "it's tough you don't like it". Their entire logic is flawed and their magazines are bombing. Instead of listening to people they ignored them and now Visions doesn't sell and WDW isn't much better.

I like the new White Dwarf format. It has been rendered so useless that most stores just buy one sub, and the regulars at the store get access.

NemoSD
28-05-2014, 15:02

Said like a man who has never done IT work on a big digital release, or never known anyone in the field outside of twitter.

When you push an update that will cause server access to spike, you NEED people on staff for when **** breaks. You don't think the BL site has seen as many more hits over the last week then it has in most of its run?

Theis
28-05-2014, 15:35
Said like a man who has never done IT work on a big digital release, or never known anyone in the field outside of twitter.

When you push an update that will cause server access to spike, you NEED people on staff for when **** breaks. You don't think the BL site has seen as many more hits over the last week then it has in most of its run?

I work in big, as in global automotive manufacturing big, shop IT. Databases, Oracle and SQL, are my particular area. Most of those are the back end for web-served applications. I have worked every holiday known to man. There are many years where I can count my total days off for the year on one-hand, specifically for the reasons you mention.

So, while I appreciate your point, I don't view holidays as any sort of excuse for not having work done.

You're pushing a massive update, and it's scheduled for a holiday weekend? Then the IT staff works the weekend. It's part of the job. IT supports the business. Often, that means working when the rest of the business isn't.

Ananiel
28-05-2014, 15:41
I work in big, as in global automotive manufacturing big, shop IT. Databases, Oracle and SQL, are my particular area. Most of those are the back end for web-served applications. I have worked every holiday known to man. There are many years where I can count my total days off for the year on one-hand, specifically for the reasons you mention.

So, while I appreciate your point, I don't view holidays as any sort of excuse for not having work done.

You're pushing a massive update, and it's scheduled for a holiday weekend? Then the IT staff works the weekend. It's part of the job. IT supports the business. Often, that means working when the rest of the business isn't.

^^^This

(ex Bell Communications IT)

Ananiel

NemoSD
28-05-2014, 15:43

English laws in regards to holidays are a LOT more strict then American, which takes the F You approach to workers.

jtrowell
28-05-2014, 15:53
Exactly, if the company want to have the IT works on holiday, it should be prepared to pay them for this extra work

NemoSD
28-05-2014, 15:54
Exactly, if the company want to have the IT works on holiday, it should be prepared to pay them for this extra work

Which is likely why they delayed to release FAQs to Tuesday. They were not prepared/could not afford Holiday pay. Seems reasonable to me.

duffybear1988
28-05-2014, 17:52

Yep this.

I manage the IT helpdesk team for a large information consortium. My colleagues handle the servers, network and internet side of things. When an upgrade or update needs doing the whole team are usually available regardless of the time of day.

sand.zzz
30-05-2014, 03:12
Jokes on op, I think we'd have been better off without the latest FAQ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Baaltor
31-05-2014, 05:52
English laws in regards to holidays are a LOT more strict then American, which takes the F You approach to workers.

Pretty much. While I can appreciate the pride in his workmanship, I don't think holidays are something to be labeled 'an excuse'.

Pancakey
31-05-2014, 19:52

This ...

Always makes me laugh! Thanks! :D

Ananiel
31-05-2014, 22:42
Well, I guess the message was received. Lets hope they keep going, my DA need so errata/addendum love......

Ananiel