PDA

View Full Version : Strike Force Ultra Pathetic

DaBigNob
23-05-2014, 23:58
Given past sales tactics, I assume this is going to be the only way to obtain the new SM terminator captain? The reclusium command squad was bad enough, but this is beyond tolerable. Who are they aiming this toward? What existing space marine player doesn't already have everything included in this set already. And new players aren't going to be ponying up that much cash up front. Disgusted with GW. Again. I would really like to buy this new model. But I am not about to buy $340 worth of stuff just to get it.

In_Fiction
24-05-2014, 04:08
Kind of like how in the early 2000s, the only way you could get the limited edition battle standard bearers for Fantasy was by purchasing the army box sets? The price of those weren't as bad as this set, but it was the exact same concept, so I don't get the gripe here.

It would be nice if the mini was available seperately, of course, but the same could be said about those limited bsbs.

This is nothing new, move along.

And if you want it that bad, but don't want to buy this set, there's always eBay. I know that isn't the best response I can give you, but considering this release tactic is standard for GW, that's what the customers who want that specific figure have to do. That or buy the set and then sell the rest of it on eBay. By the time fees and such are involved though it would be cheaper to do the former.

azhagmorglum
24-05-2014, 10:34
Kind of like how in the early 2000s, the only way you could get the limited edition battle standard bearers for Fantasy was by purchasing the army box sets? The price of those weren't as bad as this set, but it was the exact same concept, so I don't get the gripe here.

It would be nice if the mini was available seperately, of course, but the same could be said about those limited bsbs.

And if you want it that bad, but don't want to buy this set, there's always eBay. I know that isn't the best response I can give you, but considering this release tactic is standard for GW, that's what the customers who want that specific figure have to do. That or buy the set and then sell the rest of it on eBay. By the time fees and such are involved though it would be cheaper to do the former.

Well at least in the past you would get a variety of units in the army box, now you are stuck with multiple terminators and 2 vehicles...great!

Wolf Lord Balrog
24-05-2014, 12:10
Who are they aiming this toward? What existing space marine player doesn't already have everything included in this set already.

Actually, I don't have any of the models in this deal. I have an old metal/plastic Land Raider Crusader, but it would nice to have an all-plastic one so I could magnetize it for easy reconfiguring. And I have terminators to be sure, but they are all the old, smaller metal ones (or the ones from the original Space Hulk). And it actually is something of a deal if you add up the prices of the individual items. You basically get the Ven. Dread and the Termie Captain for free. Now the real question is: Do I have $340 (or $268 from my favorite internet retailer) spare change laying around? Sadly, no ...

skammadix
24-05-2014, 15:20
Well at least in the past you would get a variety of units in the army box, now you are stuck with multiple terminators and 2 vehicles...great!
You still do. The Strike Force Ultra doesn't replace the main Strike Force. This is an additional box, that follows a pretty clear theme. That you get a multiple Terminators. That's the point. You wouldn't complain that you don't get any Tactical Squads in the Storm Wing-set, or any Eldar Guardians in the Wraith-army box, would you?

As for the exclusive Captain. Is it a dick move? A little bit, I suppose. But it's certainly not "beyond tolerable", or worth being "disgusted" over.

Lord Damocles
24-05-2014, 15:49
What existing space marine player doesn't already have everything included in this set already.
*Raises hand*

:eyebrows:

Rick_1138
26-05-2014, 11:30
*Raises hand*

:eyebrows:

*Also raises hand* Although I now do have it as I ordered the set, cant beat a wall of terminators,, well you can...but lets not speak of it.

Kijamon
26-05-2014, 18:14
Ordered one and can split some of it with my local group. Yeehaa.

hobojebus
26-05-2014, 18:42
An army set that's a deal eh, guess that means those models haven't been selling lately.

Tay051173096
26-05-2014, 18:48
Pray to the chaos gods for one as well... D*mn imperial dogs get the goodies...

venus_redscar
26-05-2014, 20:13
I like the idea of Ltd Edition box set stuff. Just wish it was fantasy and metal.

Sgt John Keel
26-05-2014, 20:29

I quite like getting lots of the same in a box. That makes either a clear buy or a clear no-buy, whereas if there's a mix of units and you want some but not others you become conflicted over the value.

Like the BA box. The Tactical Squad makes it kind of not worth it, I'd rather have another Assault Squad or two.

Odin
26-05-2014, 20:46

It was awful back then and it's still awful now.

Though it looks to me like the Terminator captain will be available separately at some stage.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

skammadix
26-05-2014, 21:46
Though it looks to me like the Terminator captain will be available separately at some stage.
What makes you say that? I'm not arguing, because I too would guess so. It doesn't make much financial sense to produce a plastic miniature, make it exclusive to a set and hope that people will be dumping 190 quid to get it. Because I don't think people will. Besides, it doesn't say anywhere in the description it is exclusive. It just says it's "brand new" and "never before seen". If something is exclusive, Games Workshop will make sure they say so.

ihavetoomuchminis
26-05-2014, 21:50
It's great! Everything GW does makes sense and it's great!

Odin
26-05-2014, 22:52
What makes you say that? I'm not arguing, because I too would guess so. It doesn't make much financial sense to produce a plastic miniature, make it exclusive to a set and hope that people will be dumping 190 quid to get it. Because I don't think people will. Besides, it doesn't say anywhere in the description it is exclusive. It just says it's "brand new" and "never before seen". If something is exclusive, Games Workshop will make sure they say so.

The description I read said you can "be one of the first to own the new terminator captain" by buying the Strike Force Ultra box.

In_Fiction
27-05-2014, 01:25
It was awful back then and it's still awful now.

No arguments there, I was just stating that this type of release is standard for Gamesworkshop and has been for over a decade.

Dai-Mongar
27-05-2014, 05:44
No arguments there, I was just stating that this type of release is standard for Gamesworkshop and has been for over a decade.

Not just GW either, plenty of other companies put exclusive miniatures into boxed sets or special deals.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-05-2014, 09:02
Not just GW either, plenty of other companies put exclusive miniatures into boxed sets or special deals.

Yes; but as a general observation, the exclusive miniature in question is usually something esoteric or whimsical or otherwise in some way special. A bog-standard unit choice straight out of the Codex doesn't really need to be "exclusive", does it?

Not that it really bothers me personally, I have the old metal Terminator Captain, which was a better model anyway. But I can totally understand why people would want a plastic version when that one's now only available as Finecast.

Darkz
27-05-2014, 10:26
The description I read said you can "be one of the first to own the new terminator captain" by buying the Strike Force Ultra box.

I also agree with Odin, GW will sell the Terminator Captain at later on as general release. The advantage of buying this bundle now are because they are cheaper than if you bought the unit separately, and plus free New Terminator Captain in the bundle. But let's face it for current SM players, all of this units are redundant, also the question of if you have 200 or $340 to burn, as for me No.

Odin
27-05-2014, 10:28
I also agree with Odin, GW will sell the Terminator Captain at later on as general release. The advantage of buying this bundle now are because they are cheaper than if you bought the unit separately, and plus free New Terminator Captain in the bundle. But let's face it for current SM players, all of this units are redundant, also the question of if you have 200 or $340 to burn, as for me No.

I much prefer this option to the ridiculous limited edition approach. How many battle standards were made for WHFB but can't be bought? Madness.

Sanai
27-05-2014, 11:27
I assume this is going to be the only way to obtain the new SM terminator captain?

You assume way too much.

In_Fiction
27-05-2014, 15:35
I much prefer this option to the ridiculous limited edition approach. How many battle standards were made for WHFB but can't be bought? Madness.

And the worst part is almost all of the limited bsbs are amazing sculpts, so people do want them. Just look at the prices a lot of them fetch on eBay.

Rick_1138
27-05-2014, 16:14
Simplest way to look at this, the military tempests set is the same idea, it's HQ character us the commissar you get in a clamshell so I expect the ultra set will be the bug box option but the character will cone out separately, probably in a fortnight or a month I'd say.