PDA

View Full Version : Starting 'Fresh'

Toppan
24-05-2014, 04:56
Thinking about getting into 40k again, what with the 7th edition coming out and ****.

Probably not the worst idea I've ever had.

So I'm an old ork player. Used to run alot of kans and deff dreads. Love me some Meganobz. Never been a fan of the swarmy feel of Orks though. Just the Mindset.

Haven't played since 5th though, and even then.

I tried to get back into the game with a new army.

Then I found a new job and didn't have a lot of time for 40k.

So I wanna start a new army. Probably. I really need a hobby.

So here's what I was thinking and why:

Pure Grey Knight Terminator army.
This is essentially what I wanted to start whenever I saw the Grey Knight book, before I quit. Small army count. Super strong units. Individualization. Sounds awesome to me.

Tzeentch Daemons
This is an odd choice for me, but hear me out. I like that they're nearly all glass cannons, but exceedingly so. And I've never messed with psykers. Plus, Tzeentch is awesome.

Inquisitorial Henchmen/Non Grey Knight Inquisition
I also love the fluff of the inquisition, and how they're basically the Space Illuminati, except with guns. Access to a lot of Tech. Lots of ability to convert and individualize here.

Some kind of Elite Guard unit. Hate the swarminess of normal guard.
The guard make me feel all warm and fuzzy. They're fighting the good fight. I especially love the novels. In the game, they've always been MANPOWER or TANKS. Well I don't like either of those extremes. But if there was a happy middle...well.
Edit: And didn't they just get a new Codex?

Which one of these is most viable? Not talking pure tourney cheese, but 'not complete **** if done right'. I'm very happy to convert and I love a themed army over one that's built to win. I'll be honest and say I'm definitely not the best player out there, for sure.

Toppan
27-05-2014, 04:23
I know orks are slated to release next. Month. I'm m considering waiting til then, but to be honest I feel like I need a change. Something new and fresh.

With orks it's all about swarming with either bodies, or shots. Completely unreliable vehicles as well, and limited Psykers. They're cool, for sure, but I feel like I'm missing out.

I don't get to play with vehicles, really, I don't get to play with Psykers, and to top it all off, I've got a million units to move around each turn and a million dice to throw each phase. And only a few will hit.

I'm a bit burnt out I think.

Each of these armies is different, except for perhaps the inquisition. But they're a mixture of things.

I'd just like a second opinion is all.

Voss
27-05-2014, 04:28
It probably won't be the worst idea you've ever had, but I'd wait a bit and see what the local scene is like for you in a few weeks, once the reactions to 7th start to settle. If the local player base in your corner of Texas abandon ship, this would be a terrible time to start.

Brother-Captain Endymion
27-05-2014, 04:36
Ork/DE player here. My vote is the Inquisitorial taskforce. You could maybe double dip with Ordo Malleus and Ordo Hereticus (GK/SoB).

Being from near the Katy area as well, I can tell you that most of the GW store didn't seem too phased by any of the changes when I talked to them on Saturday. However, if you make the drive to a LGS, I can't be of much help. I hear the store in Houston off of Kirby is great, but I just can't be bothered to drive that far. Katy is already a 30m drive for me.

Toppan
27-05-2014, 04:45
Honest I'm leaning towards an Inquisitorial task force, probably dipping into some other list for help.

Ultra fluffy and ultra customizable. Seems fun.

As it stand though, I'm not sure. I know I wanted to start the very same army a while ago but gave up. It was more of an inquisitorial storm Trooper themed list, with Valkyries and such. Wish I could find my list drafts.

I might still so this, since unbound is a thing and since the inquisitorial book is so malleable.

As far as the area goes, I'm more near Houston than Katy. I know of at least three stores around me, but I've not been in any of them for so long.

Brother-Captain Endymion
27-05-2014, 04:50
I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors, friend.

If I could only get more people to play Kill Team with me! I would love to have a small force consisting of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, a few Henchmen and some conscripted riot-shield/power maul Arbites (Crusaders). Now that's a narrative I could truly get behind!

Which stores would that be? I'm always looking for a suitable LGS. Maybe there's one closer to me? I can only think of Asgard off of Kirby.

Toppan
27-05-2014, 04:56
I don't know the names, but there's one. Near Fry and 290 and another on 529 and Highway 6. I've not really frequented either though.

Kill team sounds fun. I just attempted to fiddle a list together, found it confusing because I can't remember the meta for Inquisitorial lists, and stopped.

I just want an all Stormtrooper army. Maybe with some backup Leman Russ Executioners and Valkyries. With an inquisitor Lord running the whole thing, taking names and ruining ****. Probably Coteaz.

Jaka
27-05-2014, 05:46
Well their is the new militarum tempestus to look at, they literally are an army of storm troopers, I personally don't have the book, but from what I've heard at my local meta is that it plays like a specialized version of the guard, not as elite as grey knights, but as far as cool black ops looking imperium forces go they take the cake, sure you aren't gonna see them at any tournaments, but the mass amounts of ap: 3 means that they aren't useless either.

Toppan
27-05-2014, 06:00
I saw that. I'm quite interested in them, now. I still would run them as Inquisitorial counts as, and pack as much plasma weaponry and Carapace Armor that I can in there. And the inquisition can take bolters instead f hotshot to make up for the bs3.

Yeah.

Yeah, that sounds good. Looks like I might pick up that book.