PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Focus

MaliGn
24-05-2014, 21:54
Right, so marked chaos psykers with a mark gain the god's primaris. They must take at least one power from their god, which is therefore the primaries, allowing mastery level 1 sorcerers to take a second power from any of the other disciplines available to them, in the same way that a ml1 psyker can gain the primaris alongside a second power. That's a nifty boost to thousand sons
And in general chaos psykers will always rock one power above their mastery level, which is otherwise reserved for focussed psykers. That's quite snazzy.

malisteen
24-05-2014, 23:32
I would wait for FAQ before hanging your hopes on this interpretation. I think that's how it will work, but you never know with how GW rules on chaos stuff.

BigBrown
25-05-2014, 00:41
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember the Chaos Space Marine codex says "they must roll at least one, and may roll up to half, of their powers on the table that corresponds to their patron deity."

With "roll" being the key word in my mind. The free Primaris isn't rolled for. But yeah, a FAQ entry is warranted to be completely sure.

NemoSD
25-05-2014, 04:08
Actually the book uses a Chaos Sorcerer has an example, and how the OP explained it is almost word for word for the example in the book.

Dwane Diblie
25-05-2014, 04:58
From my understanding of it, only L1 Marked Chaos Psykers will get the chance to have the bonus Primaris for free. Any other level and you are forced to mix and match your disciplines. Also Thousand Sons Aspiring Sorcerors will not have access to Malefic due to being forced to take 1 min Tzeench. That is until the decide to FAQ it some other way.

Losing Command
25-05-2014, 05:27
I think the Chaos psychic focus entry in the new rulebook is pretty clear about what it does. When you have a model with a Mark of or is a Daemon of a certain chaos god, they get the primaris from the discipline that belongs to said chaos god for free in addition to any other powers they get.

While you might not get any other primaris for free it is pretty nifty. Giving a sorcerer a mark actually has some advantages now :eek:

Dwane Diblie
25-05-2014, 05:53
Ah, right. This is in the Rulebook. Massed that bit. So yes it does look like Chaos Psykers, regardless of Mastery Level get their Primaris for free even though they may not have all their powers chosen from that discipline. Neet.

Voss
25-05-2014, 07:40
From my understanding of it, only L1 Marked Chaos Psykers will get the chance to have the bonus Primaris for free. Any other level and you are forced to mix and match your disciplines. Also Thousand Sons Aspiring Sorcerors will not have access to Malefic due to being forced to take 1 min Tzeench. That is until the decide to FAQ it some other way.
Yes, the rules interactions dictate some weird things. 'Must take one, but may roll up to half' is presumably the logic for the chaos focus rule (as ML2+ marked chaos psykers can never benefit from the normal focus rule), but it will be interesting to see how they FAQ it (assuming they do so). The 'free' primaris presumably accounts for the one, but will the up to half count that free one or not (and when does it keep in? If it does, a level one may count the primaris as the marked power, and thus be forced to roll on something else for their other power. On the other hand, if they choose to take a marked power, they only have one psychic power list, so don't benefit from chaos focus.

For a level 3, is 1+primaris half or is 2+primaris? When does the benefit from chaos focus kick in? Before or after?

totgeboren
25-05-2014, 08:00
My interpretation is that you generate your powers just like you did in 6ed, and then you get the Primaris from your God on top of that (so it would make little sense to trade what you roll on your god-table for the primaris, since you will get it for free anyway).

So a Marked lvl 3 Sorcerer would get 1 roll on his God table, 2 rolls on other tables(s) and then the Primaris from his God table. Remember that since you can never have warp focus in anything (you alrady have it for your god), you can roll powers from different tables all you like.

Heh, a Slaanesh Sorcerer leading some Noise Marines. Slaanesh Primaris, Symphony of Pain, Precience from Divination and Enfeeble or Endurance from Biomancy for either move-and-shoot noise marines or what is in effect S6 Sonic Blasters, all with reroll to hit. Praise be unto the Lord!

MaliGn
25-05-2014, 12:31
So, more to make up for the fact that marked chaos psykers can't psychic focus then? That's fair enough I guess. Still makes a nice boost, and with some neat rolls on the tables you could end up with some gnarly combos.
An FAQ on this would be quite handy, as one redresses the balance and the other borders on overpowered I suppose.