PDA

View Full Version : Would you mind facing two armies (sort of) but within the point limit

JacobDrake
25-05-2014, 19:01
Hello,

So I have a 2,500 tau army built and ready to go but new edition I'm wanting to start a new army so I have came up with some back ground to have two armies in one force without the ally chart.

Tau are the main part of the army and they are in a war/battle with enemy X. A smaller dark eldar force erupts out of the webway to take slaves/prisoners but the tau are awful prisoners so they attack the other army and take them as prisoners so they would be better.

1.) The dark eldar force can has to be 25% less then the tau to show a raiding party
2.) All the dark eldar come on as reserves showing that they have just turned up
3.) No benefits are used from one army to another.
4.) treated as an enemy in terms of movement and the rest.

Would you have a problem facing this?

frikandel speciaal
25-05-2014, 19:06
No, i wouldn't.

NemoSD
25-05-2014, 19:06
Hello,

So I have a 2,500 tau army built and ready to go but new edition I'm wanting to start a new army so I have came up with some back ground to have two armies in one force without the ally chart.

Tau are the main part of the army and they are in a war/battle with enemy X. A smaller dark eldar force erupts out of the webway to take slaves/prisoners but the tau are awful prisoners so they attack the other army and take them as prisoners so they would be better.

1.) The dark eldar force can has to be 25% less then the tau to show a raiding party
2.) All the dark eldar come on as reserves showing that they have just turned up
3.) No benefits are used from one army to another.
4.) treated as an enemy in terms of movement and the rest.

Would you have a problem facing this?

Yes, simply because of point 4. This allows you to throw something into assault to hold something in place, and then shoot the F out of it later. For example. You have one of those Dark Eldar MC thingies that just don't like dying. The other player has a combat Space Marine captain who is massive threat and getting close to your lines. You throw the beastie at it, and locking it into place. This occurs AFTER you had shot it to hell with your Tau of course. If the Captain survives the assault phase, and the following you, you are then free to fire at it will once more. (Template weapons of course.)

But I am not your opponent, and I do not know you, so I have to assume you will use the cheesiest possible exploit within your guidelines that I can imagine.

For a more accurate answer to your query, you need to talk to your gaming partner, because it is their choice.

JacobDrake
25-05-2014, 19:43
No, i wouldn't.

Can I ask why?

Itsacon
25-05-2014, 20:49
The current rules clearly allow for this, so why would anyone have a problem? It's even possible in a Battle-Forged army, you don't even need to go unbound.

Voss
25-05-2014, 21:21
The current rules clearly allow for this, so why would anyone have a problem? It's even possible in a Battle-Forged army, you don't even need to go unbound.

Right, so why not just use those rules?

JacobDrake
26-05-2014, 08:57
I'm getting back into the game from 5th I think so I'm still learning the rules? How would it be possible to use two armies in one force?

tneva82
26-05-2014, 09:46
7th ed changed lots of thing. You have the concept of allies to learn for example(well this comes in 6th ed but expanded bit on 7th)

Have tau as primary force with dark eldar as allies. Don't recall off hand what the alliance level was(desperate allies? come the apocalypse?) but they are suffering various effects based on that.

So look at the(7th ed) rulebook and go from there :) Main rules cover what you want(and more) already.

So yeah no need to invent new rules. Good way also to start new army. I have dark angel army building up that began basically as a point filler for IG for upcoming apocalypse game and the dark vengeance models I had lying around for example.

totgeboren
26-05-2014, 09:52
I did a quick google search for "summary allies in 7th edition w40k" and the second hit was this (http://murphy80.hubpages.com/hub/7th-Edition-Warhammer-40k-Unbound-and-Battle-Forged-Armies).

Scroll down to the heading "7th Edition 40k Battle-forged Armies" and you will get a fairly good summary of how allies work in 7th edition. There's some more stuff, many armies don't trust each other and get debuffs when within 6", I think Tau and Dark Eldar are at that level. They could even be "come the Apocalypse"-type allies, meaning you can't deploy them within 12" of each other at the start of the battle, but they can ally.

What you want to do is perfectly feasible within the basic 7th edition rules, so I suggest you read the section on allies, it's just a few pages, if even that.

Heh, just realised I need to unbox my old Zoats! 6 Zoats one can be a Zoat Primaris, that equals one Warrior Prime leading 5 Tyranid Warriors. I can include these as allies to my Orks, CSM or even IG. Who would have though I would seriously consider including Tyranid allies?! :D

JacobDrake
26-05-2014, 13:10
Hey thanks

Allies of convience with both eldar

Brother-Captain Endymion
27-05-2014, 06:41
Actually, under 7th Edition, I do believe that Tau and Dark Eldar are Desperate Allies. It's basically the same as Allies of Convenience, but with a small, additional rule added to it.

EDIT:
I just realized that I didn't answer the OP's question. No, I wouldn't mind facing that on the battlefield.

Dr.Clock
27-05-2014, 06:57
So, in essence, there is nothing stopping you from using such a force.

As the two forces are 'Desperate Allies', though, they will not count each other as 'friendly models' for the purposes of joining squads, Warlord abilities, special abilities etc.

Further, there'll be a risk that if they start a turn within 6" of each other, one of the units might be 'stuck' for a turn.

Also, you'll need to bring at least one troop and one hq unit from the 'allied' contingent - you can't fit all the units in a single FOC, but have to take a separate Allied Detachment (which has one-third the spots of a regular FOC, but requires only a single troop unit and an hq to 'unlock').

I would personally have no problem facing such a force.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.