PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Wheels during a charge.

iantheace
26-05-2014, 07:00
Heya, something that has come up during our games is a part of the rules that says the charging unit makes 1 free wheel.

Can the charging unit pay the movement for a 2nd wheel? Sometimes it's necessary due to the awkwardness of terrain you need to get around.

In this example there was a rock i had to wheel around, and a building. So i use my free wheel for the rock, however i would then 'clip' the building if i went in a strait line but if i moved then wheeled 1 inch the charge was sucessful.

Me and my friends have always played you can PAY the movement for the 2nd wheel so if closest to closest was 14 but you need a 1 inch wheel outside of the 14 you would need to roll 15.

The guy i was playing and his friend tells me that you can only ever wheel once at the start, and then once to 'close the door' meaning that my charge would have to fail as i could only clip his unit and he couldnt wheel into me in this situation and he would close the door into impassible terrain. It didnt matter for the game in the end, but this seems stupid/wrong?

If this is the case, it become impossible to charge a unit thats even 8 inches or so behind 1 1 inch square pillar of impassible terrain as if you get 1 wheel towards them you arent going to be able to avoid it.

Blkc57
26-05-2014, 07:19
During a charge, you only get one free wheel (not including anything needed to close the door) if you cannot make the charge with the single free wheel due to various terrain features then it is considered a fail charge. "Closing the door" is a maneuver where if you make contact with an enemy in an awkward angle you are allowed to wheel into them to full come into contact with the unit. If you cannot close the door due to impassable terrain, then your opponent must wheel and close the door into you. If neither can completely close the door and contact each other fully due to impassable terrain it is considered a fail charge.

From the cursory glance I have given your problem it seems that your opponents are very much correct and the charges you made were failed. Does this seem stupid or wrong? Not to me, as honestly if you are careful in setting up your charges and remember that during a charge you are allowed to ignore the 1 inch "guide line", it rarely becomes impossible to perform charges. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "impossible to charge a unit thats even 8 inches or so behind 1 1 inch square pillar of impassible terrain", why would that stop you from contacting the unit?

Also you might want to consider how you are setting the board up when you play Warhammer Fantasy. This sin't a skirmish game like 40k and you don't need to completely fill every square inch of board with a piece of terrain or obstacle. 2 forest stands, a hill, maybe a single building or a few fences are all you ever need for a board. Don't try to put down a massive ruined city and expect to play a formation based warfare game like WHFB.

furrie
26-05-2014, 07:28
Your opponent was partly right, you indeed only get one wheel(of up to 90 degree). But it doesn't need to be at the start of the move. And you can't pay movement for another wheel, because to successfully make a charge you need the 2D6 + M to be equal or higher to the sorters distance between the two units even if this line would go through impasible terrain.

Blkc57
26-05-2014, 07:34
Your opponent was partly right, you indeed only get one wheel(of up to 90 degree). But it doesn't need to be at the start of the move. And you can't pay movement for another wheel, because to successfully make a charge you need the 2D6 + M to be equal or higher to the sorters distance between the two units even if this line would go through impasible terrain.

Thanks for pointing that out Furrie, I didn't realize the OP was only trying to make his wheels at the start of the charge. The wheel is done at ANY TIME during the charge so you can go 4 inches forward, wheel 75 degrees and finish the 7 inches straight from there for an 11 inch charge.

MOMUS
28-05-2014, 10:15
wheel 75 degrees and finish the 7 inches straight from there for an 11 inch charge.

I'm pretty sure the distance the unit actually moves is irrelevant. All you need to do is equal the shortest distance between the two units on the dice (-M value). You then can move that unit as much as needed with one free wheel up to 90 degrees to make contact, if a clip occurs just close the door.

furrie
28-05-2014, 11:48
I'm pretty sure the distance the unit actually moves is irrelevant. All you need to do is equal the shortest distance between the two units on the dice (-M value). You then can move that unit as much as needed with one free wheel up to 90 degrees to make contact, if a clip occurs just close the door.

You are correct

Blkc57
28-05-2014, 20:27

Tis true MOMUS, I was just including the distances in my example so that the OP understood that you aren't including any wiggle distance like the free wheel and the close the door. The correct sequence: is roll for charge, is the distance between the closest visible models within that charge distance? then congrats make your charge!