PDA

View Full Version : Unbound armies and 'Counts As'... legal?

Vet.Sister
26-05-2014, 15:13
If I run a demons army & I have all Khorne all the time, can I field a unit of (just primered Bloodletters) minis and make them 'count as' plague bearers???
Is that legal in unbound?

NemoSD
26-05-2014, 15:22
If your opponent is OK with it, then yes.

However, it is poor form to continue to use proxies after a safe 'testing' phase to decide if getting the actual unit is a worthy investment. It is also disrespectful to those who do buy the actual models, or create/convert their own versions. Of course this is just my opinion, and the view on this matter does swing greatly.

Lord Damocles
26-05-2014, 15:26
You can field half a dozen bottle caps as Bloodletters if your opponant is ok with it.

Unbound armies aren't an excuse for random proxying though. 7th is no different to 6th ed. in that regard.

Devonian Commando
26-05-2014, 18:24
Unbound isn't really to do with the models you're using to represent troops on the field it's to do with the selection of units from your codex. So, yes, you can field whatever with unbound. (But nicely painted appropriate minis look sooooo much better)

Sir Didymus
26-05-2014, 19:46
GW has a Black Ops team recruited from the SAS with special recommendations from the Queen, Chamberlain and Hitlers Brain in a jar, dedicated to wetwork on gamers who proxy - sadly, they're too busy hitting Fantasy players, so you're pretty safe.

Do note, that more discerning players are well stocked in scalpels and hobby knives, so don't push your luck.

Spider-pope
26-05-2014, 21:33
If I run a demons army & I have all Khorne all the time, can I field a unit of (just primered Bloodletters) minis and make them 'count as' plague bearers???
Is that legal in unbound?

That's proxying, it'd be based on opponents consent.

26-05-2014, 22:33
More to the point, you should expect your opponents to use "you don't actually have the right models" as a proxy for "I do not want to play your Unbound spammy list". More likely to fly with your buddies than with Joe Random, as usual.

Vet.Sister
27-05-2014, 03:33
You can field half a dozen bottle caps as Bloodletters if your opponant is ok with it.

Unbound armies aren't an excuse for random proxying though. 7th is no different to 6th ed. in that regard.

Just wanted to make sure Unbound didn't have some wacky clause about 'use all the models you own' and if you don't own the ones you want... just proxy some of yours as something else, don't worry, it is cool because we're GW and we said so...

wyvirn
27-05-2014, 04:28
I always thought these sorts of threads to be the online form of "Look what I'm doing! Niener Niener Niener!". If the OP wanted something meaningful, he wouldn't be asking random people on the internet who will never meet him, let alone play against him.

Itsacon
27-05-2014, 08:11
I think unbound is a lot like Apocalypse: You're not bound by the FOC, but to keep stuff flowing, everything should be WYSIWYG. You're not limited in what you can bring, so there's no reason not to use stuff as the unit it actually is.

Only exception would be models that don't have rules. A guy fielding a Squat army `counts as IG' would be fine (but a lasgun would still be a lasgun). But someone fielding an Eldar army as a SM army would not, to me.

Weazel
27-05-2014, 10:14
Proxying a unit as something else (of similar size) for a couple of games before buying the actual models is fine in my book, as long as you make it clear what is what. But after the 10th game the sentence "these guardians are dark reapers again" would start to get really old.

But as said above, always check with your opponent if they're okay with proxying.

Spider-pope
27-05-2014, 12:59
Proxying a unit as something else (of similar size) for a couple of games before buying the actual models is fine in my book, as long as you make it clear what is what. But after the 10th game the sentence "these guardians are dark reapers again" would start to get really old.

But as said above, always check with your opponent if they're okay with proxying.

Agreed. It's when the eighth or ninth game rolls around and they are still proxied and/or have now become proxies for whatever unit the internet says is good this week that i begin to lose patience.

Itsacon
27-05-2014, 13:16
New house rule: Proxy units must take a leadership test at the start of each turn. If they fail, they turn into the unit they actually are. If the unit becomes more expensive because of this, remove models to reduce it to the proper points value.

HelloKitty
27-05-2014, 14:00
One of its creatures uses cardboard tokens for its armies because it wont buy models from GW.

NemoSD
27-05-2014, 16:57
One of its creatures uses cardboard tokens for its armies because it wont buy models from GW.

That is actually offensive to me. A minor offense, but he is basically saying, "You know, the stuff you did, I am not going to do it, Sucks to be you. Oh you still have to play with me though."

HelloKitty
27-05-2014, 17:37
That is actually offensive to me. A minor offense, but he is basically saying, "You know, the stuff you did, I am not going to do it, Sucks to be you. Oh you still have to play with me though."

That creature cares not for aesthetics. It is primarily a gamer first. It also feels that it is "sticking it to the man-creature" this way.

Itsacon
27-05-2014, 19:11
If he wants to play with cardboard, he can play MtG.

This is a miniatures game, and he can sod the **** off...

Spider-pope
27-05-2014, 19:43
Just wanted to make sure Unbound didn't have some wacky clause about 'use all the models you own' and if you don't own the ones you want... just proxy some of yours as something else, don't worry, it is cool because we're GW and we said so...

That would never happen. If you don't have the models...GW wants you to go and buy them. Now. Straight away. Drop everything, you need to spend money at their store immediately. They'd never suggest just proxying them.