PDA

View Full Version : Query about Bugman's Bar

Lorcryst
28-05-2014, 17:21
Bit of background : some friends of mine will visit the UK in July, amongst others Stonehenge, the Harry Potter tour and Warhammer World & Bugman's Bar ...

I would love for them to bring me back a ceramic mug from Bugman's, but I have no idea of the price of said mug ...

Anyone here can answer that question ? (So I can give them the cash before they set out)

Thanks in advance !

auton
28-05-2014, 18:30
According to the website, 20 for the tankard if that's what you're after

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/bugmans-bar/exclusive-merchandise/

misterboff
28-05-2014, 22:11
If it's not on the Warhammer World part of the GW website, just try giving them a ring. I think the leather tankard was 35, so I'd guess the ceramic mug is around 15-30.

Sgt John Keel
28-05-2014, 22:36
If it's not on the Warhammer World part of the GW website, just try giving them a ring. I think the leather tankard was 35, so I'd guess the ceramic mug is around 15-30.

20 apparently. http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/bugmans-bar/exclusive-merchandise/

Didn't know you could still get the old Bugman minis, that's cool.

Lorcryst
29-05-2014, 07:52
Oooh thank you ... that's a bit more expensive than I thought, but now I can plan and budget :p

shelfunit.
29-05-2014, 08:03
There was a topic here earlier that sometime this summer/early autumn they will be closing the whole place down for a big refurb (which does look pretty nice from the plans) - I'd double check when this is to make sure you're not disappointed - although there are lots of other things to do in Nottingham.

Herzlos
29-05-2014, 08:56
I don't think the whole place is closing, but it will be vastly reduced so probably not worth visiting whilst the refurbishment is under way.

Typo
29-05-2014, 13:29
The mug is worth it, it's a heck of a lot to pay for one, but as a tea receptacle, it's superb (I have one for my mug at work - saves multiple trips to the kitchen), and it keeps drinks warm/cold for a long time.

Wouldn't trust it in a dishwasher, but fine otherwise.

Harwammer
29-05-2014, 17:10
If you like old pubs visit the old trip to Jerusalem while you are in Nottingham. It is carved into the rock of the cliff the 'castle' sits on. The trip, among a few other companies have some tours of the caves under Nottingham. I've not done them but they are meant to be fun. If beer is your thing visit any of the Castle Rock Brewery bars. The Canal House does some pretty good food.

Being warhammer fans, so probably enjoy some appeal from gothic imagery, you might also like the Pit and Pendulum, another local bar. Nottingham is quite a compact city and the walk down the canal between the train station and Lenton/Warhammer World is nice (there are a few bars on the way you can stop at for a sit down if your legs get tired).

I've only been in Nottingham for a couple of years, I'm sure other locals/regular visitors can suggest more attractions... My tastes are pretty bar orientated!

Jedi152
02-06-2014, 16:00
^ Listen to this guy! :p

You can visit Wollaton Park if you like. The house was used as Wayne Manor in the Dark Knight Rises, and it's a nice getaway from the city despite only being 15 minutes or so drive from the centre.

tu33y
04-06-2014, 08:47
agree. the pit and pendulum is pretty much a pub that feels like inside the Addams family house. the trip to Jerusalem is indeed a very remarkable pub. woolaton hall is a good idea too, and I think there are busses regular all the time.

the tram work is playing merry hell with actually getting to lenton HQ, but if you are there and stuff is open its a decent two or so hours, more if you eat or game. so a browse round the shop, the miniatures hall, the lifesize rhino and stuff are fun, but its only a stop off, not an all day thing. I also seem to remember there is a Forbidden Planet (if that is still a "thing") opposite the in-Nottingham GW store, and it makes a kind of "geek quarter" there, lol

Lorcryst
04-06-2014, 09:38
Thank you for all that good advice ...

A few words tough : it's not me that will visit the UK, but a couple of my friends with their son ... and I don't think an english pub is the right place for a 10 years old :p

williamsond
04-06-2014, 09:49
you would be suprised some pubs have play parks attached, us British are a strange bunch...

tu33y
04-06-2014, 10:48
I would say with 100% confidence the Trip to Jerusalem is a PERFECT place to take a 10 year old for a meal during the day. it is pleasant, not rowdy, and interesting. the Pit and Pendulum, I think you would also be fine for a meal during a weekday, but I would avoid on a Saturday and definitely in the evenings. no trip to Nottingham is complete without a lunch in the 'trip. it purports to be the "oldest pub in the world" and it is not impossible this is so.

its nto far from warhammer world either. the caves were, last time I went, very very good. educational and also exciting. there are themed areas with mannequins etc.

you could do warhammer world in the morning, lunch then the caves, or even the excellent Galleries of Justice (google it) in the afternoon and have a great day

tristessa
04-06-2014, 13:30
Just as an update on the closure, the staff have been told not to talk about it and that any possible refurbishment doesn't have a date at the moment.

I'd still bet on this autumn though - the lack of any events being an indicator.

shelfunit.
04-06-2014, 14:07
Just as an update on the closure, the staff have been told not to talk about it and that any possible refurbishment doesn't have a date at the moment.

Seems strange - I'd have thought it would be something they'd want to advertise in a "come see it now before it changes!, then come back and see the new version in x weeks!" It's not like one of their games where people would be put off going because a new version is out soon and the current version would be "invalidated".

Herzlos
04-06-2014, 16:51
At a guess they've probably decided they can't afford it so want to put it off but don't want to say so. That'd explain why they never got back to me though.

It's also a nightmare for people planning visits; I'd tell your friend that it might be shut with no notice and to have a backup plan.

Harwammer
05-06-2014, 07:31
GW is being rubbish on their emails at the moment. I emailed them a couple of times (I registered a new account but then got locked out of it and the reset password button wasn't working) but all I got back was an autoresponse. I guess the new website has caused problems that have overwhelmed their inbox. So minus points for their email, once I got on the phone their rep was really helpful, so bonus points there as always.

The Old Trip is definitely a family friendly place, they do nice tea/coffee and cake, I've never tried a meal there though.

ashc
07-06-2014, 18:04
I think this discussion has helped me plan my stag chaps.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

RunepriestRidcully
09-06-2014, 10:09
Anyone know if the pocket watches are any good?

tu33y
09-06-2014, 15:14
ashc- Nottingham is great for a stag, especially if you are a geek. there are paintball places and all kinds of other stuff nearby, plus WHW and some AMAZING pubs.

ashc
09-06-2014, 17:29
Can you recommend a paintball place near to the city mate?

Herzlos
09-06-2014, 20:25
Anyone know if the pocket watches are any good?

I don't imagine they'll be any worse than any other watches of the same style. They are probably the same ones you get in wedding and tourist shops with "Best Man" or a flag etched onto them.

tu33y
10-06-2014, 08:17
Can you recommend a paintball place near to the city mate?

http://www.paintballgames.co.uk/paintball-nottingham-centre

I went here and found it quite cynical- cheap to start but the paintballs are like gold dust. but if you take a fair wedge of cash and are quite fit you will have a decent afternoon out.