PDA

View Full Version : Is There Hope for FAQ's

monkey10120
29-05-2014, 15:15
I know GW has not posted much needed FAQs for armies that have come out in the past year and was followed by them taking FAQs off their site. Last I heard (read) was they were rumored to be updating the FAQs and will be releasing them soon. It looks like there might be hope as all the 40k codexs have been updated on May 27th. Do you think that there is a chance of Fantasy getting theirs soon now that all 40k has been updated? If not, it just goes to show how Fantasy is GW side project and is really not a great deal of importance to them. As 7th edition comes out and 3 days later you have every codex updated while Fantasy players even have their models still not allowed at tournaments because their rules are not clear enough and were released a year ago with no sign of help from GW.

Voss
29-05-2014, 16:09
I know GW has not posted much needed FAQs for armies that have come out in the past year and was followed by them taking FAQs off their site. Last I heard (read) was they were rumored to be updating the FAQs and will be releasing them soon. It looks like there might be hope as all the 40k codexs have been updated on May 27th. Do you think that there is a chance of Fantasy getting theirs soon now that all 40k has been updated? If not, it just goes to show how Fantasy is GW side project and is really not a great deal of importance to them. As 7th edition comes out and 3 days later you have every codex updated while Fantasy players even have their models still not allowed at tournaments because their rules are not clear enough and were released a year ago with no sign of help from GW.
Considering how minimal and...um... not good the 40k FAQs are (copy/paste errors, dropping clarifications, etc) I wouldn't hold out much hope. Considering the iBook and ebook versions haven't been updated either makes me think that their process is even worse (or this is entirely a stop gap) than I previously figured. Especially since the header on the FAQ page itself natters on about bringing the print books up to date with the digital versions- the digital versions are the ones currently lagging behind the FAQs!

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
29-05-2014, 16:31
The long silence on FAQs makes me wonder whether GW has 9th edition coming out this year afterall. If everyone is working away at updating the new edition rather than writing FAQs for the old it'd make sense.

I almost hope this is the case, as it's not sending the best message about their support of their rules system otherwise...

ewar
29-05-2014, 17:17
I find it incredibly irritating that they don't do much more regular FAQ updates. If you're charging (insane) premiums for your product, you need a premium support service and we definitely don't get it.

It's the inconsistency that drives me nuts. For example the Banner of the Hidden Dead in the Tomb King book was errata'd to affect a unit worth 175pts from 150. Why make that change and not others?? You've done it once, what difference does it make if you do others. Like changing construct healing or taking 50 points off the cost of the Troglodon in the LM book.

This is an old rant anyway... not sure why I bothered writing it out!

Ultimate Life Form
29-05-2014, 18:26
It's the inconsistency that drives me nuts. For example the Banner of the Hidden Dead in the Tomb King book was errata'd to affect a unit worth 175pts from 150. Why make that change and not others?? You've done it once, what difference does it make if you do others. Like changing construct healing or taking 50 points off the cost of the Troglodon in the LM book.

Because then you end up in the same situation as Skaven, where you have 50 pages of rules, and then an equal amount of FAQ pages?

Heck, no! Leave the books alone for god's sake! FAQs should exist for the sole reason of clarifying things, and errata are there to amend rule and wording problems and inconsistencies, not to randomly rewrite parts of the book. That is what revisions are for. To gradually improve your product. Unfortunately a concept entirely unknown to GW.

Josfer
29-05-2014, 23:50
Not that revisions could sell or something...

Think about a quarterly "update" for every army book with one new or redone unit including FAQ and Errata. And then every month cycling through the armies a new version of the book including all updates and erratas and FAQs. You can subscribe to one army (or multiple) for 10-20$ per year to get all updates for that army or 50-100$ per year to get them for all armies. If you don't want that, you can live with the (maybe free) PDF versions and here and there buy the "new" book for 50$.