PDA

View Full Version : 7th edition mini rule book

Amnar
29-05-2014, 21:17
Anyone have any idea when the minirulebook or starter set is coming out?

Sir Didymus
29-05-2014, 21:26
At some point in the future ;)

MajorWesJanson
29-05-2014, 21:26
Normally the starter is in september after a june BRB release, so I'd go with somewhere around 3 months out.

Clang
29-05-2014, 21:33
We don't know for sure there will be a new starter box - although I hope there will, especially if it includes orks as rumoured. GW have said they're updating Dark Vengeance by taking out the 6th Ed mini rulebook and putting in a 7th ed equivalent (and to be honest I'd have expected that would already be available), but we don't know whether that's just a short term measure until a new starter box arrives.

Devonian Commando
29-05-2014, 22:18
DV is available on the Webster with the caveat that it includes out of date rules, they'll probably want to shift a good few full size rule books at 50 a pop before releasing the same rules with a whole bunch of minis for not much more. The fluffy books in the 3 book pack look really nice but aren't really necessary for loooong time fluff readers so I reckon there's quite a few of us hanging in there for the lighter and better value pure rules with minis option.

Haravikk
29-05-2014, 22:49
We don't know for sure there will be a new starter box - although I hope there will, especially if it includes orks as rumoured. GW have said they're updating Dark Vengeance by taking out the 6th Ed mini rulebook and putting in a 7th ed equivalent (and to be honest I'd have expected that would already be available), but we don't know whether that's just a short term measure until a new starter box arrives.
It wouldn't seem fair to retire Dark Vengeance so soon, especially when it has some great models for both armies. What would be better if they released a second starter set, may Imperial Guard vs Orks, or even Guard with an Inquisitor to show off the potential of allies and supplements? Maybe even Tau vs Orks? I dunno, it just would be nice to have a starter without the auto-include marines, but that won't happen unless there's also a starter set with some flavour of marines in it, so maybe two is the way to go?

Clang
30-05-2014, 04:30
They've never offered a choice of two 40K starter boxes before - I'd be surprised if we get it now.

And they've never not had a new starter box for a new edition before either - really that's the only hard evidence we have that there'll be a new 7th Ed starter box.

hobojebus
30-05-2014, 11:46
They've never offered a choice of two 40K starter boxes before - I'd be surprised if we get it now.

And they've never not had a new starter box for a new edition before either - really that's the only hard evidence we have that there'll be a new 7th Ed starter box.

Yeah but they've never had such a bad quarter and rushed out an edition before either, the usual rules no longer apply black is white and bell bottoms are cool again.

NemoSD
30-05-2014, 15:26
Yeah but they've never had such a bad quarter and rushed out an edition before either, the usual rules no longer apply black is white and bell bottoms are cool again.

Due to Chiptole poorly wording a press release, there was a public panic with people thinking there was an Avocado shortage. Then, wild fires raged through the parts of Southern California where most of the United State's Avocado's come from. None of the groves were damaged, but people paniced again, in fear of an Avocado shortage. In conclusion, there is no supply shortage of Avocado's, but right now they are selling for higher then average prices due to the perceived shortage. This has created a boom for Avocado growers.

The chances of this happening for the next three years are slim, things will stabilize and return to normal. GW's quarterly dips reflect the same dips in every other related industry, reflect the stabliziation period follow three massive booms. 6th release, Chaos Daemon release (Which sold on mostly on day one if people remember.) and finally the Space Marine list which broke the website... three times. With this in mind, GW's financial behavior is well within normal. Last quarter, no value was added, so stocks were sold as they had become stable. This lowers the price of stocks, which draws in more investors willing to take a risk on low cost stock. You do realize though that stock value has little bearing on the company itself, just how much people are willing to bet that the value of the company will increase.

Wolf Lord Balrog
30-05-2014, 16:23
Due to Chiptole poorly wording a press release, there was a public panic with people thinking there was an Avocado shortage. Then, wild fires raged through the parts of Southern California where most of the United State's Avocado's come from. None of the groves were damaged, but people paniced again, in fear of an Avocado shortage. In conclusion, there is no supply shortage of Avocado's, but right now they are selling for higher then average prices due to the perceived shortage. This has created a boom for Avocado growers.

The chances of this happening for the next three years are slim, things will stabilize and return to normal. GW's quarterly dips reflect the same dips in every other related industry, reflect the stabliziation period follow three massive booms. 6th release, Chaos Daemon release (Which sold on mostly on day one if people remember.) and finally the Space Marine list which broke the website... three times. With this in mind, GW's financial behavior is well within normal. Last quarter, no value was added, so stocks were sold as they had become stable. This lowers the price of stocks, which draws in more investors willing to take a risk on low cost stock. You do realize though that stock value has little bearing on the company itself, just how much people are willing to bet that the value of the company will increase.

Sometimes this time really is different. As Reinholt has pointed out, companies are always fine until they aren't. And a drop in revenue while the rest of the sector grows, combined with a one-day stock drop of 24%, is far more than just a normal cycle correction.

On topic: I think there is a significant chance that there won't be a 7th Mini-BRB, or a new starter set.

AngryAngel
30-05-2014, 17:43
I agree with the Wolf Lord, it is possible they will place an updated but stripped down book into the DV box. Remember it takes a significant amount of work and tooling for the starter set molds, it isn't a light or cheap process. I think the box will stay the same and they will ease out the old rule books, however. They could just as easily take out the mini rule books, leave the quick start rules, then call it a day. I don't think we'll see a new starter set however. It is simply an idea we won't see a new mini rule book, but then we are in a new time with GW, remember anything is possible.

Axeman1n
31-05-2014, 01:29
I already have my mini rules book. It's so nice, that I don't think I can actually use it in games. I think it's funny that you can still buy the DV set, and get a 6th ed book. LOL.

MajorWesJanson
31-05-2014, 04:45

Even if they are just swapping in Dark Vengeance to add a 7th edition mini-book instead of a 6th edition one, GW will probably wait until August/September to capture as many sales of the big book/digital book as possible.
What would be nice would be if they also added a different limited edition model to the rerelaease, maybe a chaos sorcerer since psykers are so important, and having one for each side would balance things. But of course them people would complain that it is a cash grab by GW to sell the new DV, and all that fun.

Other reasons for no new starter anytime soon:
One, it takes far more time to design, sculpt, and put out the models than it does the rules, with generally a year plus lead time.
Two, GW probably wants to keep recouping money/ making profit on the DV molds, and 2 years is far less time than previous starters. The models are not bad at all, so why fix something that is broke? Throw the new MRB in there and call it a day.

pyremius
30-06-2014, 03:13
Even if they are just swapping in Dark Vengeance to add a 7th edition mini-book instead of a 6th edition one, GW will probably wait until August/September to capture as many sales of the big book/digital book as possible.
What would be nice would be if they also added a different limited edition model to the rerelaease, maybe a chaos sorcerer since psykers are so important, and having one for each side would balance things. But of course them people would complain that it is a cash grab by GW to sell the new DV, and all that fun.

Other reasons for no new starter anytime soon:
One, it takes far more time to design, sculpt, and put out the models than it does the rules, with generally a year plus lead time.
Two, GW probably wants to keep recouping money/ making profit on the DV molds, and 2 years is far less time than previous starters. The models are not bad at all, so why fix something that is broke? Throw the new MRB in there and call it a day.

For the money I'd much rather have minis I don't expect to use (but could resell / trade) then books I'll never bother to touch. If the replaced the original LE figure from DV with a Sorcerer, that would be a complete bonus for me - but I wouldn't be upset without it.

tneva82
30-06-2014, 08:13
Well for what it is worth dark vengeance box was removed from GW's website. Could be repackaged version coming up "soon". Or the rumoured new starter set but then again GW themselves said repackaging of DV in white dwarf and that has yet to happen so...