PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels Project Log

no-use4a-name
19-06-2006, 03:32
In late August there will be a 40k Doubles/Team Tournament. Each member will be allowed 1000 pts. Their half of the list must contain 1 HQ, 2 to 4 troop choices and a maximum of 2 choices of each of the remaining portions of the force org.

I've teamed up with another Marine player. So, I decided to re-do my Dark Angels. Every model will be converted and most will have some sort of sculpted robe or tabbard.

You see, tournaments are the only way I get armies completed. They are my catalyst.

I've started this project log in order to help push my progress and prevent the last minute madness that I'm used to. So, I vow to show weekly updates and will have this new army done by August 13th. That gives me 8 weeks. I will keep all updates in the following post. Helps to make things easier for you folks.

Once we get a team list together, I'll post it. For now, I'm working on the first 2 squads and the HQ.

Chaplain (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/no-use4a-name/Dark%20Angels%20HQ/) He needs the black cleaned up and a back pack. You'll notice that there is a rare earth magnet in him- it's for his jump pack.

Squad #1 (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/no-use4a-name/Dark%20Angels%20PIP%20Squad%201/) I cheated with these guys a little. They were done, to this stage, a couple of weeks ago. The green needs to be cleaned up, the skin needs to be finished and a few details need some attention. I will add anywhere from 3 to 5 more marines, once we decide on a list. Also pictured is their ride. Not sure if it will be used in the list.

Squad #2 (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/no-use4a-name/Dark%20Angels%20PIP%20Squad%202/) Just three nearly done. I have another 3 that are undercoated. Again, they still need final attention and a few more will be added to the squad.

I thought that I'd just post the link to my My Photobucket (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/no-use4a-name/). It contains some Dreads and the start to my Armored Co. Unfortunatly, I have to put the AC on hold- unless I get the DAs done early...fat chance!

Sorry for the long post. C&C welcomed as always. Please remember that I'm not the best photographer .

no-use4a-name
19-06-2006, 03:33
Please keep this space available for updates- thanks.

Previous post deleated. My partner and I have flopped back to Marines--- so no IG.

The DA project log is back on. With about seven weeks left until the tourney, and only five 'til my deadline, I have a lot to do. The army is built and undercoated. A few that were painted are almost finished. Currently working on painting the Whirlwind. I'm also working on resin casting bases. Pics of the progress will be up soon.

edited 7/11/06

odmiller
19-06-2006, 04:15
These are really nice DA. Good job. I like more of a contrast between the bolter and its case, but that's nitpicking. They look really good.

no-use4a-name
19-06-2006, 04:20
Thanks, from you that means a lot.

As for the bolters....I admit, I got lazy. I'll re-visit the bolters later on.

Jansen
19-06-2006, 08:08
Wow!
Those are really nice! I like your painting-style.

Are they 4th company?

I'll post up my DA asap :)

wally
19-06-2006, 09:29
i hate you

my half finished templar chaplin is almost identical >:(

cut and paste time

rest are sweet

maybe you could back over him?

cerealkiller195
19-06-2006, 12:23
love the skin on the vet sarge, how did you do that?

Melchor
19-06-2006, 12:36
Nice! I especially like the greens. Very neat highlights.
Great poses and converions as well.
I'll be checking this thread frequently.

For the Lion and the Emperor!

no-use4a-name
19-06-2006, 14:35
Here goes,

@Jansen, they're 5th Co. I just haven't painted the markings on their knees yet. The Squad leader from the 2nd unit (Beakie) has the 5th Co. pattern painted on his helmut. Also, the Chap has the green V on his shoulder. Feel free to post your stuff up here. That goes for any of you who want to post up DA stuff. The title says "Dark Angels Project Log", doesn't mean you guys can't put some stuff up as well.

@Wally, thanks - a lot of love from you huh?...LOL

@Cerealkiller195, here's a quick tut on the skin.

Basecoat Dark Flesh (this can be seen on most of the figs). Then another basecoat of Tanned Flesh. After the second basecoat I mix in Dwarf Flesh equally. The final 2 high lights are pure Dwarf Flesh and then a small amount of Bleached Bone added in. Some figs will get varrying amounts of the final high lights to represent different recruitment planets.

For the stubble: really REALLY watered down codex and fortress applied as a light glaze- several times.

@Melchor, I've seen your DA and have admired them for some time. Your stuff has given me inspiration when I've needed it. So, a thank you needs to come from me to you....thank you.

I will try my best to post up weekly updates, if not more. If I fail to do so, please let me know.

Deadleyheadley
19-06-2006, 14:37
There nice very nice ,The highlights work well :)

Scorpio
19-06-2006, 16:55
I love DA. They look great. I really like them.

-Scorpio

Melchor
19-06-2006, 20:00
I've seen your DA and have admired them for some time. Your stuff has given me inspiration when I've needed it. So, a thank you needs to come from me to you....thank you.

I'm honoured. :)
It's always nice to hear people like your stuff, and even better to hear people are inspired by it.

Jansen
19-06-2006, 21:11
I've made an army-thread myself, you might want to check it out:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=752965#post752965

no-use4a-name
20-06-2006, 00:09
I've made an army-thread myself, you might want to check it out:

Jansen, those are amazing! The army has a very unique feel to it. Great poses and the attention detail is what really makes an army. My favorites would be the assault squad and that chaplain. Pm me with updates- if you don't mind. Or, you can post the links here.

Serpent
20-06-2006, 05:29
I like the painting, but is it just me, or does that head look too big for the rest of the Chaplain?

The rest looks very neat, tidy, and especially Marine-like. :)

Serpent

Still learning
20-06-2006, 08:52
i'm really liking your army. the nice smooth paint and that sarges face, now that i like

no-use4a-name
28-06-2006, 00:09
This is a bit of a bump.

In my first post I made a vow to show weekly updates. That vow will still hold true....just not for this army.

My partner and I have decided to bring an Imperial Guard army to the tournament. We just figured that there would be too many Marine teams and wanted to bring something different.

Appologies to anyone who was interested in seeing this army progress over the next 8 weeks. But, it's not all bad news, if you're a fan of IG be on the look out for my IG project log.

Sigma
01-07-2006, 23:43
I hope you don't mind my asking, but would it be at all possible for you to give a bit of a walkthrough on just how you painted the armour of these guys? I mean....it looks INCREDIBLE!!! I absolutely love the way it looks, being so clean and yet so dark...I'd like to use such a technique on my own Dark Angels. So if it wouldn't be too much trouble?

Also, thank you for already giving the walkthrough on how you painted the flesh....amazing.

Edit: I forgot, one final request....could you also tell me how you achieved the metal effect on their bolters....it looks awesome.

no-use4a-name
02-07-2006, 06:03
@Sigma, thanks for the interest in my stuff --- it means a lot.

I will give a quick run down on my techniques, just not now. It's a very busy weekend for me. Once I'm able to, I'll PM you, and post an update here.

BillyBob
11-07-2006, 01:47
Hey! update already! Just cuz my army is almost completely painted for the tourney doesn't mean you can slack!:D
Anyway, I'm almost done drybrushing the D-pods and will have to prime the W-whind turret. I THINK the army is mostly done, but I may have to do another chaplain model. ******* guy keeps falling off his base due to it having magnets on it, So it snaps off his running legs if it gets close to another marine with a magnet!
I also forgot our lists already... It's written on a sheet in my Ork codex.. somewhere...
Keep pumpin the Sons of the Lion out! I think I'll start a log on my Imperial fists.. because yellow SUUUUCCKKKSS!
Peace out, partner!

Black DH templ.
11-07-2006, 01:50
That Razorback is lovely!

no-use4a-name
11-07-2006, 14:55
Sorry about the lack of updates. I've been very busy with the family. Plus, for some odd reason, I have Warseer set as my home page and had trouble logging on. Problem fixed---bad link.

@ Sigma, painting Bolters: Basecoat boltgun/chainmail 50/50 over black. Wash with black ink and then highlight with mythril. Followed by a thin glaze of watered down black ink mixed with a small amout of clear acrylic re highlighted with mythril--on the edges. The gold casing: Basecoat tin bitz over black. Mix tin bitz/dwarf bronze 50/50 for the 1st drybrush. 2nd Drybrush using only dwarf bronze-- lightly. Another drybrush of dwarf bronze mixed with mythril---not sure of ratio, I usually eye ball this part. Then I glaze it with watered down brown ink in order to hide the "dust" effect that drybrushing can give.

As for the DA green armour, basecoat DA green over black primer making sure to leave a thin black line between the plates. Then highlight using snot/DA green 80/20 mix. Followed by a thinner line highlight of scorpion/snot 80/20 mix. Last highlight is pure scorpion on the extreme edges. Clean up and blend the highlights to the basecoat using really watered down DA green as a glaze. I usually do anywhere from 2 to 3 thin glazes making sure to not hit the bright edges of the final highlight of the armour. Hope this helps.

@ Black DH templ., thanks for the comment. I'm working on a Whirlwind that'll look similar. It'll just have a diffrent roof to your standard Rhino.

@Billybob, leave me alone, LOL. You side like my wife with all the nagging. As far as my portion of the list goes, everything is assembled and undercoated. I may re-do some of the Command Squad. If time permits.

Ornithoticus
11-07-2006, 19:49
very nice painting on the minis. my only problem is that the chaplains legs look too small. are they bretonnian men at arms legs?, it just spoils an otherwise wonderful model, IMHO

orni

no-use4a-name
11-07-2006, 19:58
very nice painting on the minis. my only problem is that the chaplains legs look too small. are they bretonnian men at arms legs?, it just spoils an otherwise wonderful model, IMHO

orni

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the Chaplain, the legs are not from a Bret model. It's the lower half of a metal robed Dark Angel figure.

The legs may appear smaller due to the angle of the picture. Or, they might just be smaller. The metal Marine models due appear smaller than the plastic.

As far as the model being ruined is concerned, I thought the crappy primer undercoat obscuring the chest eagle details did that already. I tried my best to cover it up with my painting style. If no one noticed.....I guess I covered it up pretty well.