PDA

View Full Version : 7th Edition: Dark angels and Stormwing Formation.

eurieus
30-05-2014, 00:49
Hi everyone !!!

So, now that the 7th ed. came out, and the new battle-bros changes, i was really thinking of using the stormwing formation. I like our flyers fluff and model wise, but they just dont seem to be that good. I would rather pay for good flyers with the formation.

So what are your thoughts on the formation ? Worth it or not ? and if it's worth it, how would you use it and what kind of unit would you put in the Stormraven ? I was thinking DW knights and venerable dred :D

Cheers :D

Thomson
30-05-2014, 01:08
Hi everyone !!!

So, now that the 7th ed. came out, and the new battle-bros changes, i was really thinking of using the stormwing formation. I like our flyers fluff and model wise, but they just dont seem to be that good. I would rather pay for good flyers with the formation.

So what are your thoughts on the formation ? Worth it or not ? and if it's worth it, how would you use it and what kind of unit would you put in the Stormraven ? I was thinking DW knights and venerable dred :D

Cheers :D
Well, since the Stormraven is about twice as good as a Nephilim in Combat and can transport troops and a dreadnaught for a few pts more it is basically a nobrainer if you want a flyer and flyer defense. The killer potato has better fire power than the nephilim but is a little more fragile... so its about as good but much cheaper. So go for it. I was experimenting with Iron Hands allies (Tech Marine + scouts in a storm raven... this thing is really tough, should be close to unkillable in 7th...) to get anti air, but this was only because you couldn't use the storm raven in the formation as transport in 6th.

Deathwing knights seem to be a good choice, but then the unit eats up LOTS of pts. And if a lucky lascannon shot can spell doom for about one third of your army in points, that is quite risky.

I would put something cheap into the storm raven and let it sit there until endgame. (or to grab an objective in the card missions). I would prefer scouts, but a small tac squad may work, too.

eurieus
30-05-2014, 02:12
yeah DWKs are a big point sink i agree, but the thought of having a squad of these guys coming out of big gunship to smite the foes of the imperium was nice :D
So i'll stick with them in a landraider, and put maybe a squad of vets or assault marines it the stormraven ?

AngryAngel
30-05-2014, 05:46
The storm wing is good, and if DA want some flyers, I say go for it.

Freman Bloodglaive
30-05-2014, 05:51
It has fixed one problem with Dark Angels, that is true.

eurieus
30-05-2014, 10:59
Too bad our codex flyers are not up to the task, on paper they seem to be good support unit ( especially with ravenwing ) but it's just too expensive point-wise. Thanks for your answers !

Thomson
30-05-2014, 12:55
yeah DWKs are a big point sink i agree, but the thought of having a squad of these guys coming out of big gunship to smite the foes of the imperium was nice :D
So i'll stick with them in a landraider, and put maybe a squad of vets or assault marines it the stormraven ?

Sounds all nice and deadly :D

eurieus
30-05-2014, 13:24
Sounds all nice and deadly :D

Haha yeah, can't wait to try it :D

Royals
30-05-2014, 14:15
I've been wanting to do this since the introduction of the Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing Formation. The only thing holding me back is money and the time and patience to build and paint the models.

eurieus
30-05-2014, 22:21
Well, time and patience is one the main element of our hobby !!! haha , but i agree it's quite an investment money wise, and big models to paint. shame we have to buy three expensive models to have good flyers.

Gabus
31-05-2014, 21:59
How do the DA go about adding the formation now? Are there requisite troops that need to be taken to unlock it?

Vector Strike
31-05-2014, 22:49
Nothing of sorts. Just pay for the points and start Zooming around! Formations don't have any kind of FOC limitations - they're free space