PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge Gauntlet (Fantasy Version)

dooms33ker
30-05-2014, 00:52
I haven't seen a character challenge thread in quite some time, so here goes: construct the best character to fight in a challenge abiding under 2500 points army list restrictions, i.e. 625 points maximum.

No special characters allowed, but aside from the aforementioned restrictions make the meanest challenge character your favored army of choice can muster. Assume they will receive a magic phase as normal while locked in combat.

My entry:

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Prophet
Level 4 Death
Random magic weapon with one ability ( i.e. d3 wounds, wound on 2+, breath weapon, channel on 5+, dispel +1, eternal hatred)
Blood of Hashut (works on 2+, D6 autohits, wounds on 2+, no armor saves)
Other Trickster's Shard
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Blackshard Armor
Pistol
Lammasu W/ Level 2 Shadow

Between the Prophet and the mount they have 6 caster levels; the Prophet has a 2+/4++ and a charmed shield, does D6 auto hits that wound on a score equal to target's armor, allow no armor saves and require the wards to be re-rolled; the Lammasu nullifies all magic weapons in base contact.

With one or two hexes in the magic phase I'm sure this guy can take out almost anyone in the game.

Drachen_Jager
30-05-2014, 01:24
I think anyone would have a tough time beating this one.

Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Glittering Scales
Chaos Steed
Greatweapon
The Other Trickster's Shard
Flaming Breath
Scaled Skin

377 points

You're at -2 to hit him, so good luck there. With his WS 8, few can even touch him in CC.
2+ 4++
5 St 7 attacks at WS 8 and you have to re-roll successful ward saves.

SteveW
30-05-2014, 02:23
Bret lord
grail shield
hippogriff
silver lance of the blessed.

Granted I need the charge but if i get it I win.

Drachen_Jager
30-05-2014, 02:58
Bret lord
grail shield
hippogriff

Hardly kosher to say you get the blessing and the charge. If you stand there and wait, you lose the opportunity to charge.

:p

SteveW
30-05-2014, 03:09
Hardly kosher to say you get the blessing and the charge. If you stand there and wait, you lose the opportunity to charge.

:p

grail vow, no need to pray...lol

Sent from my lumina 925 using ninja's

dooms33ker
30-05-2014, 03:37
Bret lord
grail shield
hippogriff

This setup is better:

Virtue of Heroism
Sword of Swift Slaying
Tress of Isoulde
Enchanted Shield
Hippogryph

Strike first, and hit on 2+ with a chance to re-roll misses and hope you roll a killing blow.

Alternatively, this could work as well, albeit you must survive your target's attacks first:

Virtue of Heroism
Sword of Strife
Tress of Isoulde
Hippogryph.

boli
30-05-2014, 08:43
Naked warlock engineer(s).

For the staggeringly low price of 15 points a round you can lock up 625 points and reduce his spell casting abilities (can cast less spells in combat).

... What you never said they had to *win* ;)

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 13:53
Imperial wizard with van hortsman speculum will generally kill anything real killy besides that chaos dwarf.

From my servoskull

Urgat
30-05-2014, 14:22
Price of proposed challengers above. As many goblin warbosses with great weapon as this can buy :p

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 19:22
A unkillable greater daemon would probably end up being the winer

From my servoskull

dooms33ker
30-05-2014, 20:16
A unkillable greater daemon would probably end up being the winer

From my servoskull

Which one is unkillable, exactly? I think a Brett lord with heroic killing blow could do one in with a little luck.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 20:18
Sorry daemon prince, which will probably hit you first and kill you

From my servoskull

SteveW
30-05-2014, 22:30
Sorry daemon prince, which will probably hit you first and kill you

From my servoskull

Beets have an answer for that.

Grail vow
Virtue of heroism
Sword of swift slaying
Barded warhorse
Gromril greathelm
Shield

Now you've got a guy under 300 points that will beat your unkillable DP more than 50% of the time.

Bigman
30-05-2014, 22:39
Daemon prince, level 4 slannesh, usual magic items, scaled skin, chaos armour, fly.

I cast choir on 4-6 dice...2d6 hits wound on 4+ no armour saves, giving you asl and random
Movement d6. I then hit and kill the lammasu.

You try and kill me with auto hits, if not you don't, then I kill you next turn. If you don't kill me I'll probably gain a wound back.

Honestly, chaos wins out with either daemon prince or unkillable chaos tz lord.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 22:42
Beets have an answer for that.

Grail vow
Virtue of heroism
Sword of swift slaying
Barded warhorse
Gromril greathelm
Shield

Now you've got a guy under 300 points that will beat your unkillable DP more than 50% of the time.

Virtue of heroism cant take mágical weapons, so no he doesnt. This thread is just about duel tooled lords /heroes which are not SC. Daemon prince sword of swift slaying kills yours every time pretty much

From my servoskull

Ramius4
30-05-2014, 22:45
Virtue of heroism cant take mágical weapons

Yes it can. Virtue of Heroism was errata'd back when 8th edition came out. Now it just says "the knight has the Heroic Killing Blow special rule". And nothing about magic weapons, etc.

That being said, I play Brets a lot. And no, that guy would not take on a Daemon Prince and live. You really only get one or two rounds to kill him, and just a few hits to try and roll HKB with.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 22:46
Again the daemon with the asf sword still kills him

From my servoskull

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 22:48
Probably a de lord on dragón with shroud lance and strength potion could kill everything and the chaos dwarf mentioned above. Because the bale taurus is the only thing causing complexity here

From my servoskull

Ramius4
30-05-2014, 22:48
Again the daemon with the asf sword still kills him

Actually they would Attack at the same time. The Bret would have a small chance, but as I said, you have to roll the HKB using just a couple hits. And then the DP has to fail his ward save.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 22:50
Daemon prince has initiative 8,why are they attacking at the same time?

From my servoskull

kingjshrulz
30-05-2014, 22:52
Virtue of heroism cant take mágical weapons, so no he doesnt. This thread is just about duel tooled lords /heroes which are not SC. Daemon prince sword of swift slaying kills yours every time pretty much

From my servoskull

Actually the Faq/errata states that the knight with virture of heroisom has heroic killing blow allowning you to take magic weapons

Ramius4
30-05-2014, 22:56

If both models have ASF, they attack at the same time, regardless of Initiative.

SteveW
30-05-2014, 22:56

From my servoskull

because asf is asf. When both have it they strike simultaneously. Also, if you have the asf sword you're not the unkilable DP.

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 22:57
Wow I did miss that, I though it was initiative taking over again.
Then the DE build I mention rules over all pretty much

From my servoskull

dooms33ker
30-05-2014, 23:01
A Daemon Prince is clearly the best Chaos Warriors have to offer, but I'm more interested in seeing who would be the best challenger in each army, not just who can kill the daemon prince.

What's the optimal challenge build Vampires have?

Bronhoms
30-05-2014, 23:06
Archaon, the Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Sendt fra min Nexus 7 med Tapatalk

Ramius4
30-05-2014, 23:11
I'm more interested in seeing who would be the best challenger in each army,

In that case, here's one of my favorite Bretonnian Lord builds. It's not so much about killing the enemy, just neutralizing him. (note, he's much cooler if the enemy character actually has a magic weapon. Otherwise... Not so much)

Bretonnain Lord
Grail Virtue
Morning Star of Fracasse
Charmed Shield
Dawnstone
Virtue of Confidence

CountUlrich
31-05-2014, 00:08
Vamp lord would be:
Lvl 4 caster vamp magic
Heavy armor
Shield
Nightshroud
Talis of endurance
Sword of might
OTS
Barded steed
Red fury
Quickblood
Beguile

So he has 1+/5+, any opponent is ASL and gets no str bonus for any weapon he uses, magical or otherwise. Each turn opponent takes leadership test on -3 or has negatives to hit me. 5 str 6 attacks, with asf rerolls, if 8 get off a spell 8 reroll my wound rolls too, and each wound generates a second attack.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bladelord
31-05-2014, 01:52
lvl.4 Archmage
Talisman of Preservation
Power Scroll
Potion of Toughness

6 dice Transformation of Kadon & if you're lucky, time to wreak havoc.

GrudgeBringer
31-05-2014, 10:21
Purely for a combat duel i have to go with this dward lord. Shieldbearers, Shield, 2 runes of fortitude, rune of iron. Weapon with M rune of snori spangelhelm, rune of might. Talisman with rune of the furnace.

He walks in with a 1+ save and 5+ ward, a 2+ ward against fire. He is T6 W6 and S8 against anyone T5 or higher and he always hits on a 2+.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 17:12
That dwarf lord is the perfect counter of the vamp lord above.

GrudgeBringer
31-05-2014, 17:39
He is more than capable of killing the "unkillable" nurgle demon prince as well though it would be a very poor chaos player that ever let the demon get caught in a challenge with the dwarf.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 19:34
Hmmm....tank lord of dwarfs, vs the tzeentch chaos lord on disc...
Someone math hammer that out please!

GrudgeBringer
31-05-2014, 19:59
Hmmm....tank lord of dwarfs, vs the tzeentch chaos lord on disc...
Someone math hammer that out please!

I'm pretty certain that would end in a slap fight, The chaos lord has a 1+ save with a 3+ save rerolling 1's. so the dwarf lord with 4 S8 attacks hits and wounds on 2's which would be 2.8 wounds, 2.3 after his 6+ save and 0.5 wounds per turn after the ward. So on average 6 rounds of combat for the dwarf to kill the chaos lord.

I dont know what weapon the lord usually has but with the ASF sword to give rerolls he has 5 S5 attacks hitting on 3's with rerolls and wounding on 5's which would be 1.5 wounds, 0.5 wounds after the dwarf's save and 0.33 wounds per turn after his ward. Since the dwarf also has 6 wounds that is 18 combat rounds for the lord to kill the dwarf.

On those numbers the dwarf wins by a long way and i also didn't take into account the attacks from the shieldbearers, not that a few S4 attacks would make much difference.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 20:07
The usual build is

Lord on disc with mark
Talisman presv
Dragon helm
CoC (in game)
So could be ogre blade just for this challenge game thing. If not then GW.

But he also gets soul feeder so maybe regaining wounds.
Also breath weapon.

So he would be hitting without re-rolls on 3/4's (WS 8 not sure of dwarf lord WS) at str 7.

GrudgeBringer
31-05-2014, 20:13
The usual build is

Lord on disc with mark
Talisman presv
Dragon helm
CoC (in game)
So could be ogre blade just for this challenge game thing. If not then GW.

But he also gets soul feeder so maybe regaining wounds.
Also breath weapon.

So he would be hitting without re-rolls on 3/4's (WS 8 not sure of dwarf lord WS) at str 7.

A dwarf lord is Ws7 so 5 S7 attacks results in 2.2 wounds, after save and ward just under 1 wound per combat round so 6 rounds to kill the dwarf makes it a complete toss up. The breath weapon being 2d6 S4 hits will do almost nothing.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 20:59
I think those are the clear winners. Simply because they hit hard without giving up any defense.

Maybe a high elf on moon dragon with star lance, talisman presv, shield of merewym, potion of foolhardiness

On the charge he has 5 attacks that re-roll to hit on 4's, str 7 with no armour saves. Then the moon dragon hits on 4's with 6 attacks, wounding on 4's, followed by breath and thunderstomp...I'm assuming the dragon lives at least one round.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 21:06
After first round though he wounds on 6's with warrior bane, or takes a GW and loses retools to hit for 4's to wound.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 21:07
Then again I could get rid if talisman to take giant blade.

GrudgeBringer
31-05-2014, 21:13
One point there though the dwarf lord is 135 skaven slaves, the chaos lord around 150. The high elf on his dragon is 300, not to mention that against dwarfs also takes a cannon ball/organ gun to the face.

Bigman
31-05-2014, 22:44
Indeed, I just saw people factoring in mounts earlier.

Toe to toe for fighting 1-on-1 it's got to be the dwarf lord or tzeentch chaos lord.

Alltaken
02-06-2014, 15:09
The op states duel, so we have to factor only:
Who charges
Ideal load outs
Mounts

Dwarf lord counters VC.
Chaos dwarf lord counters dwarf lord.
VC counters chaos dwarf.
A de build I proposed kills all but the VC (on charge)

From my servoskull