PDA

View Full Version : What is Afriel Strain?

malika
13-06-2005, 01:29
I only know that is something this Afriel Strain is related to Marcharius or something. Anybody got more info on this?

Inquisitor Samos
13-06-2005, 04:08
They were mentioned in a White Dwarf article about Abhumans in the Imperial Guard...... they're an albino abhuman strain, and are said to be created from the genes of some of the Imperium's greatest leaders. They also seem to always be attended by bad luck, and dissention afflicts any other regiments near which they serve.

If you're after more detail (or their in-game rules), you'd need the WD article; I'd relay which one it is, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near my WD collection at the moment!

Strikerkc
13-06-2005, 04:52
If you're after more detail (or their in-game rules), you'd need the WD article; I'd relay which one it is, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near my WD collection at the moment!

The US White Dwarf is #302.

Back ground wise. They are indeed an atempt to vat grow the ultimate soldier. But it failed. Their considered much more effective than regular IG troopers, having great sucesses. Then everything goes south and the entire regiment gets wiped out in some catastrophic battle.

Rich
13-06-2005, 08:06
They are actually from the Last Chancer novels - so best bet would be to read up on them in Last Chance and Annihilation Squad. Their inclusion in WD later was retrospective, but quite cool.

malika
13-06-2005, 11:49
They were mentioned in a White Dwarf article about Abhumans in the Imperial Guard...... they're an albino abhuman strain, and are said to be created from the genes of some of the Imperium's greatest leaders. They also seem to always be attended by bad luck, and dissention afflicts any other regiments near which they serve.

Again a 'bad luck' bunch! We already had that with the Lamenters Space Marines :eyebrows:

charlie_c67
13-06-2005, 11:55
They differ in the fact they kick ass for a few battles then tend to self destruct. The Lamentors are just dogged all the way.

Wolflord Havoc
13-06-2005, 11:56
Oh yes UK WD 303 I believe

Basically any Imperial Guard Squad can be given the Afreil Strain 'ability'

This gives them the 'And they shall know no fear' rule but they are always hit on a 3+ in HTH regardless of the opponents WS.

Something to do with there unatural birthing or something

salty
13-06-2005, 12:56
IIRC, the Adepts of Mars are still trying to refine the process of creating these guys, but not only do others tend to desert when around them, they feel some sort of threat or hatred towards them.

Salty :)

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 08:23
Oh yes UK WD 303 I believe

Basically any Imperial Guard Squad can be given the Afreil Strain 'ability'

This gives them the 'And they shall know no fear' rule but they are always hit on a 3+ in HTH regardless of the opponents WS.

Something to do with there unatural birthing or something

It has to do with how good a soldier they are (ATSKNF) and how they have an unnatural aura emnating from them that makes all and sundy want to rip out their lungs. Also being albino doesn't help either.