PDA

View Full Version : WoC Khorne Lord item builds

chipperchopperchappi
31-05-2014, 10:26
I'm making an all themed Khorne WoC list, no wizards, no magic, just killing. My Khorne Lord of Juggernaught is at the forefront of my army. I want to make him as beefed as possible. Here are two of my suggestions, if anyone has any other great builds please let me know. So, here goes:

Build 1: The Slaughterer
Wargear: Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Strength, Talisman of Protection, Mark of Khorne, Charmed Shield, Juggernaught of Khorne

Mutations: Flaming Breath

This Lord has a whopping 9 attacks at strength 5. For larger targets he has his potion that will bump him to strength 8 with 9 attacks which is ridiculous. He also has a breath weapon to add combat res (if I need to break a unit).

The downside is he only has a 1+ AS and a 6+ WS. So if a lord level character accepts him in challenge, he better strike first or he's toast (I'm thinking Ogre Tyrant). Moreover a ward save could ruin his day if he doesnt get enough wounds through.

Build 2: Why won't he DIE?
Wargear: Armour of Destiny, Dawnstone, The Other Trickster's Shard, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapon, Shield, Juggernaught of Khorne

Mutations: Scaled Skin, Soul Feeder

So, with toughness 5, 3 wounds, 1+ re-roll AS and a 4+ WS this lord is super durable. Moreover his soul feeder works well with his impressive 6 attacks at strength 7 to give him a chance to regrow some wounds.

However, he lacks the severe hitting power of the first build meaning he will probably need to combine combat if he's going to charge units and will need to make sure he doesn't get broken through combat res.

In challenges he is definitely more survivable, and has the ability to deny WS on his opponents with the shard which will help tougher challenges.

Overall

What I can see is that these builds will work better against certain armies. I think the first one could destroy T3, so elves, brets, empire whereas a build like build 2 might work better against lizards/ogres, where surviving the return blows is more important.

I would love opinions and suggestions for other builds I've missed. Obviously exclusively around a juggernaught mounted chaos lord. Descriptive titles encouraged :)

Thanks in advance.

CHipper

chipperchopperchappi
31-05-2014, 16:06
bumpity bumpity

Lance Tankmen
31-05-2014, 17:48
2nd build, i like that one more. he hits harder than the other one and survives longer

chipperchopperchappi
31-05-2014, 19:01
I'm starting to think the same thing. However, are there any ways of incorporating elements from both builds into one but keep the effectiveness. I was toying with the ogre blade and 4+ WS talisman?

Odin
31-05-2014, 19:16
Build 2... why scaled skin? He already has a 1+ armour save. That's just 20 wasted points.

Edit... I see, the armour... seems a shame to pay to downgrade his armour only to pay to upgrade it again.

Drachen_Jager
31-05-2014, 19:16
I think the second one could be easily improved by getting rid of the AoD and Dawnstone. Take the talisman instead, because realistically, anything that's a serious threat at your toughness and armor save is going to either reduce your armor to a very low level or negate it entirely, meaning the Dawnstone has limited function.

I play a Khorne army, but I never bother with the Lord. For 100 points you get a higher magic item allowance, +1 WS, +1 To, +1 I, +1 A (the juggernaut keeps the wounds the same on both). Spend the difference on two skullcrushers and you've more than made up for the difference between the models. I generally run my Exalted with limited kit, great weapon, and not much else, for the price of your lord you could even get two Exalteds if you keep their kit down.

In higher point games, I run a Prince, who comes in less expensive than your lords and is (IMO) far more effective.

chipperchopperchappi
01-06-2014, 00:26
I am considering a exalted bsb on juggernaught. Would it be an idea then to run a few exalted's on juggernaughts as opposed to using a lord choice at all? this is for 2500pts. At 3000 I'll be using a prince. The idea of running an uber killy mounted lord was to effectively up my aggressive units. At the moment I am considering 10 knights, 2 units of 3 crushers, a chariot, a warrior unit and my lord. Or would a Daemon prince be the way forward at 2.5?

Ymir
01-06-2014, 02:50
I like the Sword of Bloodshed, but the problem here is that Chaos Lords have to challenge, unless they're in a unit with a champion that can challenge in their stead. In this case, that unit would probably be Skullcrushers, and seeing as they already hit super-hard with a googolplex attacks, I can't really see many situations where the Sword of Bloodshed would do much difference. Though Sword of Bloodshed + Potion of Strength is an awesome combo to be sure, but I'd rather try it on like a Tomb King or something, that is, an army where the troops that the character will have joined lack sufficient combat power on their own, so that the characters ability to give tons of combat resolution becomes more important.

Plus, Chaos characters can take dual hand weapons, which is a much cheaper way to give them extra attacks. If I were to pay 60+ points for a magical weapon for a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, I'd much rater take the Hellfire sword, as it would enable him to completely mow through any unit of monstrous infantry or knights.

Drachen_Jager
01-06-2014, 03:21
I use the Demon Prince for pretty much everything over 2k. You don't need the leadership, because everything important is frenzied, you don't really need more killiness in your front lines, because you're Khorne. Where he comes in handy is hunting down warmachines, wizards, and as a tarpit for any unit too big and nasty for you to want to take on head to head (I know, hard to believe, but such a thing does happen, dwarf and elf elite infantry (expecially PGs)).

Otherwise, I'd put one exalted in each of the crusher units to help break the big stuff (if you're not running the exalted, you should think about bumping at least one unit up to 4). Crushers are mean SOBs, but three of them will have a tough time breaking big elite infantry blocks (especially elves, because of ASF), big blocks of monstrous infantry, and possibly something else I'm missing.

Odin
01-06-2014, 09:35
I like the Sword of Bloodshed, but the problem here is that Chaos Lords have to challenge, unless they're in a unit with a champion that can challenge in their stead. In this case, that unit would probably be Skullcrushers, and seeing as they already hit super-hard with a googolplex attacks, I can't really see many situations where the Sword of Bloodshed would do much difference. Though Sword of Bloodshed + Potion of Strength is an awesome combo to be sure, but I'd rather try it on like a Tomb King or something, that is, an army where the troops that the character will have joined lack sufficient combat power on their own, so that the characters ability to give tons of combat resolution becomes more important.

Plus, Chaos characters can take dual hand weapons, which is a much cheaper way to give them extra attacks. If I were to pay 60+ points for a magical weapon for a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, I'd much rater take the Hellfire sword, as it would enable him to completely mow through any unit of monstrous infantry or knights.

Yup, I always kit my characters out for challenges. The army isn't short of S5+ attacks, and your chaos lord won't be doing much good against a well protected enemy character (except for one turn, if you can time the potion right).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

chipperchopperchappi
01-06-2014, 11:08

That did come to mind, the fact that the opponent can just feed me champions and low level characters. However, isn't that good? Maybe if I took the Ogre blade, Tricksters shard and talisman making him S7, I7, 6A, they rr WS. That could do some hurt against most enemy characters right?

I didn't look at the Hellfire Sword too closely but you are right that is nasty, maybe combined with the Helm of Many eyes for ASF. Only issue is I can see dragonbane gems coming to haunt me!

Also, can he have two hand weapons and be mounted?

I use the Demon Prince for pretty much everything over 2k. You don't need the leadership, because everything important is frenzied, you don't really need more killiness in your front lines, because you're Khorne. Where he comes in handy is hunting down warmachines, wizards, and as a tarpit for any unit too big and nasty for you to want to take on head to head (I know, hard to believe, but such a thing does happen, dwarf and elf elite infantry (expecially PGs)).

Otherwise, I'd put one exalted in each of the crusher units to help break the big stuff (if you're not running the exalted, you should think about bumping at least one unit up to 4). Crushers are mean SOBs, but three of them will have a tough time breaking big elite infantry blocks (especially elves, because of ASF), big blocks of monstrous infantry, and possibly something else I'm missing.

So one exalted in each skull unit? and a daemon prince to lead the line?

snyggejygge
01-06-2014, 11:10
Personally I prefer using 2 Exalted Heroes over 1 Chaos Lord, last time I tried the following with great success:

General: Exalted Hero, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Halberd, Charmed Shield, Opal Amulet, Other ricksterīs Shard & Soul Feeder

Exalted Hero, BSB, Mark of Khorne, Helm of Many Eyes, Scaly Skin, Halberd, Potion of Strength & Luckstone

Both were durable enough to survive the game & had a decent damage output, the BSB could really dish out some hurt when using the potion.

chipperchopperchappi
01-06-2014, 11:17
and where did you put the heroes?

Ymir
02-06-2014, 00:39
You can't have dual hand weapons if mounted, no...I just discovered that. Which is a shame 'cuz I had just kitbashed this awesome Disc of Tzeentch from a Burning Chariot, that I was going to put this cool Gamesday Exalted Hero model (http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/GamesDay/2009chaoshero/img_4748-02.jpg) on, but now I can't because he's got two hand weapons...

Sure, the dragonbane gem and Dragon armors would be a pain for the Hellfire Sword, that's why that weapon might not be my first choice if I kitted out a Chaos Lord for challenges. This Chaos Lord, however, would primarily be designed for killing hordes of monstrous infantry, and that I think he could do extremely well. Or maybe not, I now realize, seeing as he'd have a glass jaw against Great Weapons... but I'm definitely gonna give the Hellfire Sword a few goes, I don't think the Dragonbane Gem is so common as people suppose; I seldom take it, and I play -Tomb Kings- (aka the army of flammable heroes)...because everybody -assumes- that I have it, so they never bring flaming weapons...

snyggejygge
02-06-2014, 16:50
and where did you put the heroes?

Well the general was with the crushers & the bsb with my warriors, the list was something along the lines of:

2 Exalted heroes
18 Warriors, halberds, MoK, LD banner
2 Nurgle Chariots
2 Units of Vanguard hounds
1 unit of normal hounds
2 Chimeras
3 Skullcrushers

It hit really hard, but had some issues in a few scenarios